NewCath 9 CovCath 0

98NCCalum

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That should not be a surprise. Last year's line took a while to get going as well. Fortunately, they had a lot of talent offensively that could score while the line was figuring it out. I have no doubt this line will get better with experience.

the offense as a whole will. with some better play calling and experience things will look up for the colonels.

Name 5 that you've seen change their system.

Dan Moeller (Highlands coach) But we all seen him when he had Lorenzon and Guidilli run alot of shutgun and spread offense. And what have they ran lately the last few years is no where near that system, they been more of a running teams and doing the jet sweeps and things from formations alot different than those years.

Schnoder (NCC Coach)- A power running team usually, and what have they went to the last couple of years, that is right a shotgun spread offense. Which was definitely a new system for them.

Mike Yeagle- I not sure exactly what year it was but it was a few years ago. They went away somewhat from their regular grind it out running game and did spread it out alot more than he usually because he had a team that was a better passing team than running

Steve Hensley- When he first came to Ludlow he was putting in a base I formation type of offense because that is the offense he likes, and after the first game he realized that offense didn't work so well with the players he had and switched to the shotgun spread offense because it fit the type of players he had better and saw them go from not winning games to being a playoff team again.

Fairview Coach- When he had running back Chris Jennings, they were alot of Power I type stuff and just pounded the ball at people. And now that he is gone they have changed their system alot are alot more wide open.

So there are 5 coaches off the top of my head that I have came up with, and I sure there are alot more coaches across the state who has definitely changed their systems before because a certain year or two those players didn't fit the system that good. I sure Trinity probably changed their system from when they had Brian Brohm...

Also just look at last year CovCath team, if they weren't running that shotgun spread formation and say were running this system instead. I bet you that they dont win the state championship, but that stysem fit the type of players they had perfectly and made that offense a great offense.

Yeah you dont see coaches switch systems every year, because usually they do have the type of players that can run the system they want, especialy coaches who had been at one place for awhile. But you do see coaches change systems when they dont have the players to run that system and could be better running another system, and sometimes change a system for a year or two according to the players. Now let me say this I not saying that the system the new coach is running is not the right system for the team because I dont know it might, but there is a possibility it might not be the best system for the players they have another system could possibly be better. Coaches should not force a system on a team, a coach should use a system that best fits his players abilitys, and that is the point I am trying to make...

By the way this must be the year for the smaller schools, because the smaller schools have definitely been taking care of the bigger schools they been playing...

Speaking of which, why do parents send their kids to a larger or an "out of district" school?

A. because the parent(s) went there

B. a catholic (if the school is a catholic school) education

C. better curriculum

D. I think my kid has better chance at a scholarship at a particular school

Wehry was #2 last year due to the actual #2 recovering from elbow surgery. I attended the game this afternoon, and I do believe the QB youre trying to downplay had a pretty significant amount of passing yards. And I would not call the 7 he scored at Nippert last Saturday, "garbage" either. I think the problem here lies with a weak O line, and play calls. The play calling this afternoon was poor at best. How many running plays do we run before it hits us we're in negative yardage???

Not trying to "downplay" anyone Oscar?? Just saying if you think enough of a kid to give him the start in your first game, give him more than one quarter against an obviously superior team with a very good defense (LaSalle gave up 7 points to Indy Cathedral today), before hooking him???? Sorry if I consider a late score when you're down almost 40 points a "garbage score", but what would you call it, a meaningful drive??

I agree, and said so about the "O" line being the main problem right now, but losing Buckley figures huge as well!! I'm sure they'll get back to work and improve; but their schedule is a monster??

PS: Let's give some credit to NCC's "D" for CCH's offensive woes today--Sounded like their line really controled the line of scrimmage. Very good game plan by Schneider & Co. as well.

The O-line is obviously the primary problem with the Colonels this season. I believe even with Buckley in there, he wouldn't have been able to go anywhere, as the O-line could do nothing with the NCC D-line. Lack of overall "O" speed is a problem also, as it seemed to me at least, that Isler had to wait and wait for the plays to develop. I am also worried about all the running that the QB has to do to get the plays from the Coach. Seems to me that there has got to be an easier way than having your starting QB, no matter who he is, running back and forth to the sidelines to get the plays.

Finally and since no one else has pointed this out, maybe I am off base, but.....I will say that this years Senior Class at CovCath has to be one of the worst as far as school spirit goes. There were no cheers (yes there was one, but it was a very poor example of the roller-coaster) but at least to me, there was no senior leadership evident in the stands. I was forewarned about the lack of spirit in this class by an 07 senior but....Saturdays game was a all time low....... What gives 08 Seniors? Where is that "With a spirit, that will not die" attitude that most Senior classes have shown over the many, many years at CovCath, with your class?

To me at least, your class was an embarrassment Saturday in the stands! The loudest cheering your class did all game was for the manager who walked by pulling a wagon.... Sad indeed....in such a close game....

The O-line is obviously the primary problem with the Colonels this season. I believe even with Buckley in there, he wouldn't have been able to go anywhere, as the O-line could do nothing with the NCC D-line. Lack of overall "O" speed is a problem also, as it seemed to me at least, that Isler had to wait and wait for the plays to develop. I am also worried about all the running that the QB has to do to get the plays from the Coach. Seems to me that there has got to be an easier way than having your starting QB, no matter who he is, running back and forth to the sidelines to get the plays.

Finally and since no one else has pointed this out, maybe I am off base, but.....I will say that this years Senior Class at CovCath has to be one of the worst as far as school spirit goes. There were no cheers (yes there was one, but it was a very poor example of the roller-coaster) but at least to me, there was no senior leadership evident in the stands. I was forewarned about the lack of spirit in this class by an 07 senior but....Saturdays game was a all time low....... What gives 08 Seniors? Where is that "With a spirit, that will not die" attitude that most Senior classes have shown over the many, many years at CovCath, with your class?

To me at least, your class was an embarrassment Saturday in the stands! The loudest cheering your class did all game was for the manager who walked by pulling a wagon.... Sad indeed....in such a close game....

Well, I have to admit I was a bit surprised at the lack of enthusiam for Cov Cath fans, BUT, I think the NCC side was rocking! Great job Breds.....

Name 5 that you've seen change their system.

Seems like FC has named (or misnamed 5). I would'nt use the word change as much as maybe adjust or evolve, their system. A HS coach ( TM excluded :D ) don't get to pick their talent and strengths so adjustment to personal is crirtical to success.

I completely agree. Many of the football players are fed up with thier classmates spirits also. Hopefully the football players will be able to bring back the spirit during the basketball season.

Seems like FC has named (or misnamed 5). I would'nt use the word change as much as maybe adjust or evolve, their system. A HS coach ( TM excluded :D ) don't get to pick their talent and strengths so adjustment to personal is crirtical to success.

My point is that, yes , coaches' offenses will evolve but they simply DO NOT and CAN NOT adjust schemes year to year. NC has completely changed their offensive philosophy. They didn't do it for one year. They realized they needed to change in order to win and they did. They're not going to suddenly go away from the spread should they get a bruiser back next year. That's my point.