$3.30

Sportz Addict

Some more interesting reading material from our own backyard....

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/NEWS01/705240351/1014/NEWS02

Many factors play a role in the rising prices, said Jeff Lykins, president of Lykins Cos., a gas supplier based in Milford. Among those is the "economics 101 theory of supply and demand," Lykins said.

The demand apparently isn't about to subside. A Washington Post-ABC News poll released today concluded that most drivers will tolerate another dollar per gallon before changing their commuting and vacation habits this summer.

Not only are Americans not cutting back, we're driving more. U.S. consumption has the world watching - and wondering if Americans will cut back.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is the poll referenced in the first article with some commentary

http://news.kypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070524/NEWS01/705240344/1014

The poll found that nearly six in 10 Americans say that near-record gasoline prices are a hardship, but only 11 percent said that soaring prices would curtail their driving habits in the coming weeks. Three in 10 said they might skip a summer road trip.

The average price that drivers said would compel them to significantly cut back on their driving was $4.38 a gallon. In the western United States, where gasoline prices are typically higher than in the rest of the country, the average respondent said the price would have to hit $5.12 a gallon.

I wonder what kind of income those who said this has not changed their driving habits make because everyone I know has changed theirs a long time ago.

Examples of what everyone you know is doing???

Everyone I know acknowledges the higher prices of gas, but I have yet to meet people that say, "hey, I am not going to fork over the extra $30 to take my trip up to Cincinnatti this year." (Something I am doing this weekend actually). Assuming gas is a dollar more than it should be, that is exactly how much more it is going to cost my fiance and I to drive this weekend to the Queen city and back.

I do not believe the higher gas prices have necessarily eliminated vacations and such and dramatically altered plans as many make it seem, but it has altered our way of thinking and people have been using better and more efficient practices when driving... which is a good thing. We, as Americans, were spoiled for some time with relatively cheap gas prices and we never conserved... now we are, but I do not believe it is at the expense of not taking the yearly family vacation.

We team up to go to town or any where else we need to go.

I do all of my running after work which has cut back on a lot of trips.

We never get gas from speedway/marathon/gas america being they are the first to raise thier prices(They are all part of the same company

We only but gas from the gas station.

Did some traveling today:

Elizabethtown - anywhere from $3.09 to $3.29

Bardstown - $3.09/$3.10

Lawrenceburg and Frankfort- $3.09-$3.19

Georgetown - $2.99 (although I only passed one station coming into town. Not sure what the price is elsewhere in town)