"Simply, Adam Dunn is not a run producer"

-Marty Brennaman after Dunn K'd to end a potential scoring threat, in the 8th.

Furthermore, he said once Griffey returns to health they should put Hamilton in left, Freel in center, and Griffey in right. He said Griffey may strike out some, but he will knock in some runs given the opportunity.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am as big of a critic of Dunn as anyone and the following numbers don't excuse the fact that he strikes out WAY too much, BUT facts are facts:

He has hit at least 40 home runs each of the last 3 years.

2 of the last 3 years he has drove in 100 runs, last year drove in 92

He has over 100 walks in each of the last 3 years.

He has struck out over 190 times 2 of the last 3 years, the other was 168.

Aside from Griffey, he is the only real threat in the lineup, I know Hobbs is certainly making a case of himself.

Like we all know, the guy is capable of bashing 40hrs every year but if you are making $10 mil and looking for more a clutch hit every now and then wouldn't be too much too ask. I say get what you can for the guy while you still can.

Like we all know, the guy is capable of bashing 40hrs every year but if you are making $10 mil and looking for more a clutch hit every now and then wouldn't be too much too ask. I say get what you can for the guy while you still can.

:thumb: :thumb:

I think he would bring in a couple solid young arms for the bullpen....

Dunn has to play over Freel so that's a bad idea...

+1 Freel isn't an everyday player and he bats like Dunn without the power. Once Griffey gets rolling a bit, he and Dunn will continue to be pitched to carefully, but the guys before or after them may see a few more pitches to hit, which will help out our offense.

+1 Freel isn't an everyday player and he bats like Dunn without the power. Once Griffey gets rolling a bit, he and Dunn will continue to be pitched to carefully, but the guys before or after them may see a few more pitches to hit, which will help out our offense.

What proof is there that he isn't an everyday player. I don't understand why everyone always says that. And all I have to say about Dunn is 5 sac flies in 3 years.

What proof is there that he isn't an everyday player. I don't understand why everyone always says that. And all I have to say about Dunn is 5 sac flies in 3 years.

The past couple seasons are proof enough. His numbers decline sharply when he starts playing on an everyday basis.

-Marty Brennaman after Dunn K'd to end a potential scoring threat, in the 8th.

Furthermore, he said once Griffey returns to health they should put Hamilton in left, Freel in center, and Griffey in right. He said Griffey may strike out some, but he will knock in some runs given the opportunity.

Marty has a real "stiff opinion" of Dunner.

While I don't think sitting him down is an option I do think looking into a trade may be the best thing for the Reds. Marty is right Dunn isn't a run producer, he's a one-dimensional player making 10.5 million dollars a year. Let's put it to you this way, would you rather have Dunn for 10.5 or Aubrey Huff for 4 million a year? These players came up at pretty much the same time and while I would say that Huff seems to be on the decline and is older than Dunn look at their numbers over the last 6 seasons.

Dunn:

2001 19 HR 78 Runs Produced

2002 26 HR 129 Runs Produced

2003 27 HR 100 Runs Produced

2004 46 HR 161 Runs Produced

2005 40 HR 168 Runs Produced

2006 40 HR 151 Runs Produced

Total 198 HR 787 Runs Produced

Huff:

2001 8 HR 79 Runs Produced

2002 23 HR 103 Runs Produced

2003 34 HR 164 Runs Produced

2004 29 HR 167 Runs Produced

2005 22 HR 140 Runs Produced

2006 21 HR 102 Runs Produced

Total 137 HR 755 Runs Produced

Dunn produced (Runs + RBI - Homeruns) 32 more runs than Huff an average of 5.3 per season or less than one per month. I don't think anyone would have been in any hurry to pay Huff 10.5 million per year during the last 6 seasons and Dunn isn't worth nearly that much either. I know a lot of people say that he's the only player in the Reds lineup that scares anyone but while he hits a bunch of homeruns his prodigous strikeout totals show that he can be easily pitched to when it counts.

:thumb: :thumb:

I think he would bring in a couple solid young arms for the bullpen....

Trade him to San Diego and we'll give you Scott Linebrink. I would like to have a home run threat at Petco besides Adrian Gonzalez.