LSU 75 Kentucky 74

6 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

When you're losing, you gotta go that early in case you miss. If the game was tied, then you wait.

Shot in the air with 12 seconds left is too early. 7-8, sure. That’s still enough time to corral a rebound, or foul if need be. As soon as the shot went in I thought “too soon”. Now, as I said later in the thread, Kentucky defended well on the next possession, it was just that LSU made the play in the scramble. But 3-4 seconds less on the clock and maybe they don’t even have that opportunity. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, DragonFire said:

Shot in the air with 12 seconds left is too early. 7-8, sure. That’s still enough time to corral a rebound, or foul if need be. As soon as the shot went in I thought “too soon”. Now, as I said later in the thread, Kentucky defended well on the next possession, it was just that LSU made the play in the scramble. But 3-4 seconds less on the clock and maybe they don’t even have that opportunity. 

I get what you're saying but the analytics have to be way higher on chance to win by missing that shot when it's taken with 12 seconds and missed vs taken with 7 seconds and missed.

You take that with 7 seconds, by the time it's potentially rebounded by the opponent and a foul, you're hoping for 4-5 seconds at best. I think you can probably argue either way and point at many examples on both sides. But if he misses, you're gonna want those 5 seconds back.

For me, seems odds are higher you're missing whatever scoring opportunity more than making it, so going earlier extends the game and gives you more opportunity.

• Like 1

I'd be thrilled to never have to listen to Jay Williams and whomever his colleague was again. Almost felt bad for Jay Williams cause dude kept belaboring the Caitlin Clarke point and seemed like Jay was trying to get off it.

I have mixed feelings on Jay Williams as a commentator. Like him more when he isn't calling a gsme.

• Like 1

Just went back and looked at the game stats.  Not blaming him for the loss at all but I'd say it impacted the game. Reeves finished with 25 points to head all scorers for UK but did not hit a field goal the rest of the game after the 19:11 mark in the second half. 

44 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Just went back and looked at the game stats.  Not blaming him for the loss at all but I'd say it impacted the game. Reeves finished with 25 points to head all scorers for UK but did not hit a field goal the rest of the game after the 19:11 mark in the second half. 

He made a dumb third foul that sent him to the bench for several minutes.  I think it got him out of rhythm. 

• Like 1

I get everyone wants the easy answer and to blame the coach for taking the last shot too early. But what if he has missed? There would have been time to get a rebound and another good shot off or to foul LSU if they rebound the ball and still have a chance for a last second shot.

I agree with what Cal said if it's tied you take a last second shot, but if you are down you take it earlier to leave options in case he misses.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

I get everyone wants the easy answer and to blame the coach for taking the last shot too early. But what if he has missed? There would have been time to get a rebound and another good shot off or to foul LSU if they rebound the ball and still have a chance for a last second shot.

I agree with what Cal said if it's tied you take a last second shot, but if you are down you take it earlier to leave options in case he misses.

Agreed, if you wait until 8 seconds or less then Kentucky is potentially getting the ball back with 4-5 seconds left after free throws and no timeouts remaining.  AND if LSU makes both of their free throws they are up 3 and can force UK to rush a shot by acting like they're going to foul, or actually foul and send them to the line for a shot at only 2 points.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

They're already 5, now probably a 6.  Lose to Tennessee and Alabama and they're sitting around an 8 or 9 going into the SEC tournament.  Only way they move up from there is by playing in the SEC tournament championship.  

I don’t think they lose both and I do think they make a run in the SEV tourney. So at the end of the day I do still think they will be anywhere between a 3 and a 6. In a normal year I wouldn’t think that, but with everyone losing games in college basketball ball this year. Some of the losses that would have really dropped a team in the past, doesn’t change as much this year. 

7 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

He's good for one really bad turnover a game. That was it. He's kinda like Dilly, gives us so much good but gotta deal with a really frustrating turnover or two at times.

Sheppard had 2 turnovers and 5 steals. Not what I'd call a really bad turnover game.

Dilly and Wagner also had 2 TO's, and Onyenso had 3.

7 hours ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

I'd be thrilled to never have to listen to Jay Williams and whomever his colleague was again. Almost felt bad for Jay Williams cause dude kept belaboring the Caitlin Clarke point and seemed like Jay was trying to get off it.

I have mixed feelings on Jay Williams as a commentator. Like him more when he isn't calling a gsme.

There was a 5-10 minute stretch where they just stopped commenting on the game and turned into a women's basketball talk show. And I agree, it wasn't Jay Williams fault. The other guy would not get off of it. It was a ten minute commercial for women's basketball in the middle of the game.

• Like 2