Boyle County Pound for Pound #1?

Who Ya With?  

75 members have voted

1. 1. Are the Rebels the P4P #1 team in KY?

This poll is closed to new votes

I say yes… and I have a feeling I'm not alone. 

Pound for pound rankings are wildly subjective, but it's a fun, fresh twist on the predictable format of statewide rankings, regardless of class. 

This doesn't necessarily mean that I'm taking Boyle over Male right now, though I don't think that would be a reach. No one picks the middleweight champ to beat the heavyweight champ. All it really means is, I think the Rebels have played the game at a higher level than anyone else. They're the middleweight champ that could punch up a weight class or two because they are that good.

And for what it's worth, the Rebels occupy the state's top spot in the country's most respected and referenced computer ratings system, Calpreps. 

Their strength of schedule doesn't run as deep as Trinity or Frederick Douglass, but they've handed LCA its only loss and the boatracing of Scott County is as impressive a win as we've seen from anyone this season. Flipping the switch on Lexington Catholic and the four score season opening win over Gibson Southern (IN) also stand out.

If the question is, Who Ya With? Now more than ever, my answer is Boyle County. 

• Like 5

Who are we confident could beat Boyle County right now?

Male? Trinity? Douglass? 

Head to head doesn't factor into a p4p ranking, but the number of teams I would favor over the Rebels could be counted on one hand. 

And at the moment, Boyle is having a better season than any of them. 

Boyle is a great team. But it’s hard to say they beat Male, Trinity, FD, or Corbin.  They will get the opportunity most likely on the latter 2 I named.  Can they beat all 4? Yes! Time will tell on 2 of them.  I think they have the best offensive player in the state. Also think they have the most dynamic offense in the state. Lots of speed. They are a fundamental, great tackling team. Their weakness is the defensive backfield in my opinion. 

• Like 1

So hard to say but like he just stated if Boyle beats FD and beats Corbin or wins 4A state against a team that beats Corbin, it would be hard to argue against. Especially if FD wins 6A and Boyle has beat them and Boyle wins 4A then I would say yes it’s unanimous they were the best team in the state. Time will tell a lot.

I believe they very well could be. That question will be partially answered in the near future. This Boyle team is highly dynamic, especially on offense and may be one of the state’s most impressive offenses statewide all time. They would definitely be very hard to beat this year for everyone else within the state.

I know they have been impressive in all games to the point they have played, but I think their running clock win over Scott County was when they caught my attention more. I thought Boyle would win this game but figured it would have been much closer. Regardless, the Rebels have themselves a very special team this season.

• Like 1

When I rethink the title of this post it actually can be and to me is translated into a boxing metaphor. If you are the pound for pound best boxer in the world it doesn’t mean you can beat the champ that’s two weight classes ahead of you, it means that you are more dominant against your own class than any other boxer I’d in their class. So with that being said, Boyle could beat Corbin and still be the best pound for pound team in the state if if they aren’t better than Male.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Astro Domino said:

When I rethink the title of this post it actually can be and to me is translated into a boxing metaphor. If you are the pound for pound best boxer in the world it doesn’t mean you can beat the champ that’s two weight classes ahead of you, it means that you are more dominant against your own class than any other boxer I’d in their class. So with that being said, Boyle could beat Corbin and still be the best pound for pound team in the state if if they aren’t better than Male.

Exactly. The boxing p4p GOAT is generally considered to be Sugar Ray Robinson, who fought at welterweight and middleweight. No one would pick him to beat a prime Muhammad Ali, but most historians and pundits have Robinson higher p4p.

Anyone that consistently reads my posts on here can probably guess that I'm a boxing fan. I use a lot of metaphors and terminology - toe to toe, body blows, punching up in class, blah, blah, blah. The idea of a p4p statewide top 20-25 is something that rattles around in my head from time to time. 

With rare exceptions, one of the 'big three' is usually atop most people's statewide poll. Applying a boxing p4p logic to football is something different that would open the door for the light heavyweights, middleweights, welterweights, and lightweights to shine.

Boyle County is my Sugar Ray Robinson this year. He lost fights, but his best was better than anyone else's. 

The Rebels are going to take to some heavyweight punches next week and they'll get Corbin's or CovCath's or Tilghman's best shot down the line.

But right now, Boyle County is prime Sugar Ray in my mind... Pound for pound #1.

• Like 1

If Boyle wins Class 4A again with how loaded that class is.. strong chance you can drop the "Pound for Pound" part and just call them #1 straight up regardless of class this year.

You may have half of the Top 10 teams in the State this year regardless of class all competing in 4A. not sure any 6A team can have as good of a resume as what Boyle may be able to put together with a few big playoff wins over really good teams.

1 hour ago, ATLCat said:

If Boyle wins Class 4A again with how loaded that class is.. strong chance you can drop the "Pound for Pound" part and just call them #1 straight up regardless of class this year.

You may have half of the Top 10 teams in the State this year regardless of class all competing in 4A. not sure any 6A team can have as good of a resume as what Boyle may be able to put together with a few big playoff wins over really good teams.

I like this. 

If Boyle wins 4A, the only argument you could make is that Male is better (if Male wins 6A). 

Could Boyle beat a Trinity, Male or Fredrick Douglass? Absolutely. I'm not sure any of those would be particularly surprising in a one game scenario.

Could Boyle consistently beat Trinity/Male/FD? No, I don't think they could. Nor do I think they would have the same success in any of those other schedules. 

If the question is intended for this year alone, I say YES. I have a hard time seeing them get beat by anyone in KY this year.

If the question is intended overall, it a definite NO.  The L'ville big 3 would all be above Boyle.  

4A will be exciting to watch starting in the third round.  Can't wait!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WYW said:

Boyle is a great team. But it’s hard to say they beat Male, Trinity, FD, or Corbin.  They will get the opportunity most likely on the latter 2 I named.  Can they beat all 4? Yes! Time will tell on 2 of them.  I think they have the best offensive player in the state. Also think they have the most dynamic offense in the state. Lots of speed. They are a fundamental, great tackling team. Their weakness is the defensive backfield in my opinion. 

I agree with all this, having watched Boyle play against LCA and Lexington Catholic their Secondary is the weakest link.