Open Job: Covington Holy Cross

10. No gambling, bookmaking or point spread comments are allowed in any of the high school forums. Figures of speech that use gambling terms may not be used in any of the high school forums (i.e. bet, over/under, spread, parlay, chips, line, odds, wager). All gambling comments are permitted in the non-high school forums as long as they do not involve any high school sports, students, or student-athletes.

2 hours ago, The Double Deuce said:

....well his chances just went WAY up.

Zach is a terrific young man, has a ton of connections from playing at UC, and really knows the game.  He is green, to be sure, but you could a lot worse.  Would be something else if he was to land this job (seems like a big if) and Alex Shelton lands the Ludlow Football job (another fairly big if).  

Agreed. I have no idea if Zack has any head coaching aspirations or even how long he’s been a full time assistant, I do recall seeing a couple times on the bench a couple years back but not everyone. Appeared he was a make it when ya can guy. But if Zack does have head coach aspirations, why not go after it. Like I said, have to start somewhere. Look at John Wooden! 

1 hour ago, TheConch said:

Has this job been posted? Yet to see anything on it or the deadline they’ve set? 

The job is getting officially posted today and they hope to start interviewing May 15 per an announcement put out by the AD.

Edited by theguru
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, bigblue96 said:

I’m guessing whomever wins the Rat Races tonight has a solid chance of being the next head coach at Holy Cross.  At minimum, pretty solid chance the next coach will be in attendance! 

It is typically someone who grew up in the place. 

“They’ve got their guy if this guy applies. Younger guy, but already been coaching at the college level and with HS experience.”

Roughly how my conversations went at Goodtimers this weekend. Still trying to find out a name. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, TheConch said:

“They’ve got their guy if this guy applies. Younger guy, but already been coaching at the college level and with HS experience.”

Roughly how my conversations went at Goodtimers this weekend. Still trying to find out a name. 

Hmmm... I have a couple ideas. I wonder if "younger" means like 32 or more like 23?

I think the search really needs to avoid previous head coaches. I am thinking that they need a change of thinking in that spot. I do like the idea of McClendon though. He is very knowledgeable and demands respect. Unfortunately, from most recent years, the players have seemed to rule the roost. If not him, maybe a younger former player that can relate, but has some old school in him. It will be interesting to see who all applies for sure.

Edited by theguru

22 hours ago, TheConch said:

Tyler Bezold?

My guess on who they'll interview:

1. Leighton Schrand - former Holy Cross player who walked on at X.  Currently on staff at HC.
  2. Tyler Bezold - former Holy Cross player, played at Kentucky Wesleyan and was an assistant there too I believe.  Does player development work at Griffin.
  3. Rob Detzel - currently the freshmen coach at Holy Cross, son is a 9th grader on the team.

19 minutes ago, HSBballfan1212 said:

My guess on who they'll interview:

1. Leighton Schrand - former Holy Cross player who walked on at X.  Currently on staff at HC.
  2. Tyler Bezold - former Holy Cross player, played at Kentucky Wesleyan and was an assistant there too I believe.  Does player development work at Griffin.
  3. Rob Detzel - currently the freshmen coach at Holy Cross, son is a 9th grader on the team.

Just my thoughts, but I think the whole child on the team can sway thoughts and emotions. Need to stay away from that. Just my opinion.

Edited by theguru