Beechwood 70 Newport Central Catholic 7

theguru

Just now, JoeTuck33 said:

The way it shakes out now, I THINK we would end up in Russellville in round 3. I don’t think we could see Pikeville until the 4th round.  

That’s if I’m correct on Round 3 matchups being Districts 1-4 & the other matchups being districts 5-8? Someone correct me if I’m wrong. 

I don’t know how the RPI works. It makes my head spin. 

46 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

No offense -- but were you there? 

So this begs the question -- should the Beechwood 2nd, 3rd, 4th string guys try NOT to score? 

Disappointed in Coach Rash and Coach Baugh? That's rich. Thought better of both of them? 

Oh--I get it -- so Coach Rash has spent an entire career NOT running up the score. You read some things on a message board -- and how dare they offend you. 

I have a feeling they will both sleep fine tonight --not to mention -- 16 years of doing everything possible to not run up the score -- for you to be "disappointed in them both" after reading something you were not even around to see. 

Way to trounce the good name of good men who have done things right for a LONG time. I get it though -- read something on a messageboard and suddenly those great men aren't so great. Even if they did run up the score (they DIDN'T) -- how do these two men not get the benefit of the doubt? I guess all that history doesn't mean all that much? 

I would see your point if this was something that has happened even one other time in the past few seasons -- but instead -- lets go ahead and make a judgement on the Beechwood. 

I notice you did not question NCC's brilliant strategy of giving up points for free -- which then result in more points, or the fact that  NCC put their self in lousy spots all night. But -- I get it -- it's Beechwood's fault that they didn't just lay down flat on the  field so NCC could save some face. 

No offense -- I wasn't there.

But I've been there in person for a LOT of Beechwood blowouts of Dayton, Bellevue, Dayton and Lloyd.

Noel knows how to not blow out an EXTREMELY inferior team. He's got years worth of experience doing it. He's got years and years of season records to prove so. Tonight was not a part of that record.

And I've read many, many, MANY things in message boards without being offended. As long as it stays within our terms of service, feel free to say what you'd like. I've got thicker skin than you'd ever believe.

I don't care how Noel and Ryan sleep tonight, but that doesn't change me being disappointed in them both.

9 minutes ago, theguru said:

It is art and science but generally speaking bigger is better. 

I have a question for you. We all know that Beechwood is the 2 seed. Who would they probably play in the semis if somehow Mayfield gets upset by Murray or Caldwell? I know one of those teams would head to LCA. 

3 hours ago, LoudenSwain said:

Guys, two of the 2 point conversion attempts were the result of muffed snaps to the holder. JV came in and NCC had zero answers stopping the running game. And did ya ever think the BW kicker, a soccer player BTw, maybe needed a break?  Just saying, lighten up Francis…….

on a positive note, how about this Zander Riegler kid for BW. Kid runs downhill, and hard. Name to follow in years to come. He is dominating these running clock games against mostly 1st team defenders. 

Blah blah blah, don’t care if it’s JV, your Freshman, or you’re 7th grade team in for mop up time. You don’t go for 2. 

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, gbballfan21 said:

No offense -- but were you there? 

So this begs the question -- should the Beechwood 2nd, 3rd, 4th string guys try NOT to score? 

Disappointed in Coach Rash and Coach Baugh? That's rich. Thought better of both of them? 

Oh--I get it -- so Coach Rash has spent an entire career NOT running up the score. You read some things on a message board -- and how dare they offend you. 

I have a feeling they will both sleep fine tonight --not to mention -- 16 years of doing everything possible to not run up the score -- for you to be "disappointed in them both" after reading something you were not even around to see. 

Way to trounce the good name of good men who have done things right for a LONG time. I get it though -- read something on a messageboard and suddenly those great men aren't so great. Even if they did run up the score (they DIDN'T) -- how do these two men not get the benefit of the doubt? I guess all that history doesn't mean all that much? 

I would see your point if this was something that has happened even one other time in the past few seasons -- but instead -- lets go ahead and make a judgement on the Beechwood. 

I notice you did not question NCC's brilliant strategy of giving up points for free -- which then result in more points, or the fact that  NCC put their self in lousy spots all night. But -- I get it -- it's Beechwood's fault that they didn't just lay down flat on the  field so NCC could save some face. 

Laughable. Absolutely laughable response. Congrats, BW is the best team in NKY this year. Congrats, they ran it up on NCC. Congrats, they’ll win state. But remind you, NKY has taken note. The post college freshman QB days will one day be behind you; the rest of NKY will see you on gameday. Noel is the JF Of football. 

Nice win, Goodluck in the playoffs

• Like 1

4. No recruiting comments or allegations of KHSAA rules violations by any school, coach, player or booster are allowed. No comments about where any player lives, has lived, or where they are from in a recruiting context. This is not the place to report KHSAA violations. Feel free to contact Kentucky High School Athletic Association | KHSAA – Student-athletes of Today, Leaders of Tomorrow to report such violations, but do not discuss violations here.

21 minutes ago, TheConch said:

Laughable. Absolutely laughable response. Congrats, BW is the best team in NKY this year. Congrats, they ran it up on NCC. Congrats, they’ll win state. But remind you, NKY has taken note. The post college freshman QB days will one day be behind you; the rest of NKY will see you on gameday. Noel is the JF Of football. 

image.gif.d0866d4f29c25246ce3fb851033871e8.gif

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, TheConch said:

There aren’t many teams in Nky that can beat Beechwood year in and year out even without a Qb caliber as Cam so this comment is laughable. As in Nky has taken note Beechwood has some very good players coming up in the next few years so I’m sure they will be fine. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheConch said:

On October 7, 2021 NKY took note of NCC hanging 69 points on Ludlow. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, The Raven said:

It will never happen because it is WAY to subjective, but I was always in favor of a moving running clock.  If the game officials and both coaches know at 21-0 or so that its not going to be a competitive game, start the running clock.   Would stop outrageously lopsided scores.

Why don’t football just adopt the baseball style of dealing with this. Pick a score range and if one team gets up by that amount of score by a selected time in the game then the game is over. No more running up the score and everyone’s feelings are still intact. I am not particularly in favor of coaches running up the score for any reason. I didn’t like that Beechwood while up 48-7 still had first teammers in but it is ridiculous for any observer to be expecting JV players to come on the field and not atleast try to score. Like VOR said earlier after the score I didn’t like to bring the score to 54-7 NCC had a mistake by snapping the ball over the punters head that lead to a safety and then on the first offensive play after that the JV offense took the field and scored in one play. If the JV scoring against a team is that hurtful then KHSAA needs to put in a rule that at that point the game should be announced to be concluded. Don’t worry Beechwood will have their Freshman players during the playoffs so they may get to go in instead of the JV team which stinks cause those JV kids sure earned the right to play during varsity as they prepared that varsity team all week during practice.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, theguru said:

I was chatting with one of my Beechwood Buddies tonight and he thought NCC was a solid 1A football team that should go far in the playoffs. 

I do like the idea of playing the game earlier in the season but the Beechwood graduate in me wants to play some bigger class schools.  For example, nothing against Corbin because they are awesome, but Beechwood and Campbell County should be playing each other.  I would like to see Beechwood play Boone County too. 

Even if we weren't living in a RPI world, Beechwood and NCC are better off not playing each other at the current time. 

I would like to see Beechwood and Highlands get after it from time to time. I have not been in favor of playing out of district 2A games because it could possibly give a team a second look at you if you meet them in the playoffs as well. Being a 2A school you have lots of flexibility when it comes to RPI because you have 4 other classes to try and find games from above you. 6A schools don’t have that flexibility so a lot more cross district games are needed.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, BWTigers said:

Why don’t football just adopt the baseball style of dealing with this. Pick a score range and if one team gets up by that amount of score by a selected time in the game then the game is over. No more running up the score and everyone’s feelings are still intact. I am not particularly in favor of coaches running up the score for any reason. I didn’t like that Beechwood while up 48-7 still had first teammers in but it is ridiculous for any observer to be expecting JV players to come on the field and not atleast try to score. Like VOR said earlier after the score I didn’t like to bring the score to 54-7 NCC had a mistake by snapping the ball over the punters head that lead to a safety and then on the first offensive play after that the JV offense took the field and scored in one play. If the JV scoring against a team is that hurtful then KHSAA needs to put in a rule that at that point the game should be announced to be concluded. Don’t worry Beechwood will have their Freshman players during the playoffs so they may get to go in instead of the JV team which stinks cause those JV kids sure earned the right to play during varsity as they prepared that varsity team all week during practice.

Have done a lot of thinking about this situation, which first of all tells you my life is pretty lame, but after reading the posts especially from the Beechwood perspective maybe listening to the game I did not get the right feel as to the events.  That being said some people are posting things that are in direct conflict to what was stated on the radio so that is always concerning on any social media forum.  I can say I was more shocked that it was happening especially as I stated in other posts Coach Rash is known for never allowing scores to get out of hand.  I am in the camp of not liking 70 but that is an arbitrary number in my head and for some reason folks don't follow the thoughts in my head as well as I think they should 😝.   

To be honest I never even noticed the score of NCC and Ludlow from last week and since I didn't follow the game I have no detail on that.  

I did talk to several folks most who are objective( and not defending Beechwood or NCC as if they never did a thing wrong) who were at the game and I feel I can take away that there was some bitterness between the fans and things were said that should not have been said, as well as some real issues between the teams.  NCC student section was cleared out by all accounts but opinions differed as to many of the things being said were not coming from the students section but from adults.  

I hope all players who have been listed as injured are healthy to help their respective teams in the playoff run.  Both teams have the ability to make deep playoff runs (unless the Wildcats step up and take out the Tigers in round 1 from the way the RPI looks but then again I am just guessing since they have the three way tie for second).  I hate this happened between 2 schools who are known for excellence on the playing field and coaches who do things the correct way.  Call in a "bad day at the office" for everyone and move along?  I will say I mentioned in the prediction thread early in the week that I just don't think this game is beneficial for NCC right now as Beechwood in my opinion is the best team in Northern Kentucky.  But give Coach Lickert credit as he plays a very tough non district schedule.

• Like 5

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

Here is how it went:

Running clock started at 11:30 of the 3rd quarter when Beechwood scored to go up 48-7.

On the possession right after that, New Cath fumbled on their own 30 yard line. Beechwood scored quickly on the short field to make it 54-7. Second team into the game for Beechwood.

Next possession, New Cath first team still in, 3 and out, forced to punt. The snap goes over the punter's head into the end zone for a safety. Beechwood now leads 56-7.

Next possession, New Cath forced to punt, 3 and out.

Beechwood ball at their own 48. Second team offense in the game. Riegler runs 52 yards on the first play for a TD. Beechwood does not have a back up placekicker. The JV went for 2 in their games. JV in this game goes for 2, doesn't make it. Beechwood now leads 62-7.

New Cath again quickly forced to punt. Beechwood second team offense proceeds to work on running out the clock using a variety of backs. No passes. All runs. But Beechwood's second team is very good. They are getting 5 and 10 yards a carry. They score with 1:37 left. No back up kicker. They go for 2 and make it. Final score 70-7.  

If this is in fact how things went down, and I have no reason not to believe you, I have zero issues with Beechwood. If you don’t want 70 hung on you either don’t schedule the game or get better. 

I also don’t have a problem with going for two if you truly do not have another kicker. A coaches job is to put players in a position to be successful. Why would a coach send a kid out there to try a PAT when you know they’re going to fail? Some may say why can’t your starting kicker? It’s just a PAT. My answer would be I am trying to win championships and if I lose my kicker on a freak play then that could drastically change my playoff plans and I’m not willing to do that to make ANOTHER fan base feel better. My job is to care about MY team. 

• Like 2