Beechwood 70 Newport Central Catholic 7

theguru

1 minute ago, theguru said:

I was chatting with one of my Beechwood Buddies tonight and he thought NCC was a solid 1A football team that should go far in the playoffs. 

I do like the idea of playing the game earlier in the season but the Beechwood graduate in me wants to play some bigger class schools.  For example, nothing against Corbin because they are awesome, but Beechwood and Campbell County should be playing each other.  I would like to see Beechwood play Boone County too. 

Even if we weren't living in a RPI world, Beechwood and NCC are better off not playing each other at the current time. 

I agree that New Cath looked solid. They were better than I thought they would be. I fully expect them to be in the 1A semi finals and will not be surprised at all if they get to the title game. 

Since 1990, I am pretty sure Beechwood has played New Cath more than any other team. I hate to see the rivalry game end. The RPI factor definitely makes me wonder if Beechwood should find a different end of season game. Studying RPI more closely this year because of the Mayfield/Beechwood home field question, I wonder which game has more value in RPI for Beechwood - a win over 1A 7-3 New Cath or a win over 3-7 (assuming a loss to Beechwood tonight) 5A Boone County.

• Like 2

I think the longer RPI is around the more we will see teams schedule accordingly. NCC at 7-3 will probably be the lowest ranked RPI team left given we make it to the 3rd, 4th or Finals round. In the 3rd round I don’t think we will be anywhere near the worst team left in the field of 8. But we will play the highest RPI on the road because of our lower RPI. It will become a science to future scheduling. 

16 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I think they did take a knee when they scored a TD to make it 69. If they kick the extra point, it would have been 70.

That said, if Beechwood did take a knee at 68 instead of running in a 2 point conversion, there would still be complaints in this thread about something.

So, how does that go in the official stats then?

https://scoreboard.12dt.com/scoreboard/khsaa/kyfb21/stats_85726_4132

If they line up for an extra point --- and take a knee instead of kicking, is that not a miss?

Or did they line up for a two point conversion and take a knee? 

Either way ... I struggle with the OP trying to portray Beechwood for intentionally attempting 2pt conversions --- if you are okay with it -- fine. 

3 hours ago, IcingTheKicker said:

Shameful.

Agree.

This final score is gloating. Period.

We all know Hergott knows how to beat football teams. Did Beechwood feel like they hadn't proved their point this season?

I really, honestly like Beechwood. This was not winning with class. This wasn't even close to winning with class. I'm disappointed in Coach Rash and Coach Baugh more than anything. I thought better of them both.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Agree.

This final score is gloating. Period.

We all know Hergott knows how to beat football teams. Did Beechwood feel like they hadn't proved their point this season?

I really, honestly like Beechwood. This was not winning with class. This wasn't even close to winning with class. I'm disappointed in Coach Rash and Coach Baugh more than anything. I thought better of them both.

No offense -- but were you there? 

So this begs the question -- should the Beechwood 2nd, 3rd, 4th string guys try NOT to score? 

Disappointed in Coach Rash and Coach Baugh? That's rich. Thought better of both of them? 

Oh--I get it -- so Coach Rash has spent an entire career NOT running up the score. You read some things on a message board -- and how dare they offend you. 

I have a feeling they will both sleep fine tonight --not to mention -- 16 years of doing everything possible to not run up the score -- for you to be "disappointed in them both" after reading something you were not even around to see. 

Way to trounce the good name of good men who have done things right for a LONG time. I get it though -- read something on a messageboard and suddenly those great men aren't so great. Even if they did run up the score (they DIDN'T) -- how do these two men not get the benefit of the doubt? I guess all that history doesn't mean all that much? 

I would see your point if this was something that has happened even one other time in the past few seasons -- but instead -- lets go ahead and make a judgement on the Beechwood. 

I notice you did not question NCC's brilliant strategy of giving up points for free -- which then result in more points, or the fact that  NCC put their self in lousy spots all night. But -- I get it -- it's Beechwood's fault that they didn't just lay down flat on the  field so NCC could save some face. 

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, JoeTuck33 said:

I think the longer RPI is around the more we will see teams schedule accordingly. NCC at 7-3 will probably be the lowest ranked RPI team left given we make it to the 3rd, 4th or Finals round. In the 3rd round I don’t think we will be anywhere near the worst team left in the field of 8. But we will play the highest RPI on the road because of our lower RPI. It will become a science to future scheduling. 

I have a few Pikeville friends they think you guys might be headed down there in round 3. 

Just now, Jason Bucklen said:

I have a few Pikeville friends they think you guys might be headed down there in round 3. 

The way it shakes out now, I THINK we would end up in Russellville in round 3. I don’t think we could see Pikeville until the 4th round.  

That’s if I’m correct on Round 3 matchups being Districts 1-4 & the other matchups being districts 5-8? Someone correct me if I’m wrong.