Tennessee Fans at end of Ole Miss Game

Walter

The schools can't even stop rushing the field. The SEC needed to send a clear and decisive message. They did not and people like to repeat bad behavior for some reason. This will happen again.

The only clear and decisive message would have been at least a million dollar fine and forfeiture of all remaining home games. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, swamprat said:

The schools can't even stop rushing the field. The SEC needed to send a clear and decisive message. They did not and people like to repeat bad behavior for some reason. This will happen again.

The only clear and decisive message would have been at least a million dollar fine and forfeiture of all remaining home games. 

I agree this was a slap on the wrist.  Unless I'm wrong the behavior of their fans was unprecedented in college football.  It is not comparable with rushing the field so why the comparable fine?

Meanwhile...Virginia Tech is limiting the amount of students that can attend their games the rest of the season to season ticket holders and a lottery because of a chant they started during the game.

Not going to post a link because it is probably against the rules here but if you search it, not hard to find.

Don't think students were the only ones guilty of participating in what happened at UT, but if the university and SEC wanted to really send a message, they would limit the amount of fans at the next game or no fans to prove a point. 

7 hours ago, swamprat said:

I was thinking about loss of scholarships but forfeiture of home games would be a better idea.

4 hours ago, Bert said:

I was thinking about loss of scholarships but forfeiture of home games would be a better idea.

Yeah loss of scholarships hurts the team more than the fans/school, IMO. 

Even if they don't take away their home games, maybe don't allow any fans at their games so the team doesn't have to travel but it still penalizes the school (financially) and the fans. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Even if they don't take away their home games, maybe don't allow any fans at their games so the team doesn't have to travel but it still penalizes the school (financially) and the fans. 

Very common punishment used in European soccer to punish bad fan behavior. The English national team's next World Cup qualifying game is being played behind closed doors. That punishment hurts the fans (don't get to come) and the school (get no revenue from said fans). As of right now, these $250,000 slaps on the wrist don't even warrant school's providing adequate security.

• Like 2

I attended a game a number of years ago when South Carolina was in Knoxville.  At the time (and this may have changed) the only alcohol you could by was beer.  BUT...the bathrooms smelled like whiskey, so they were sneaking stuff in.   Banning sales won't keep it out, unless you frisk all 102,000 people that walk through the gate.

On 10/20/2021 at 9:12 PM, The Raven said:

I attended a game a number of years ago when South Carolina was in Knoxville.  At the time (and this may have changed) the only alcohol you could by was beer.  BUT...the bathrooms smelled like whiskey, so they were sneaking stuff in.   Banning sales won't keep it out, unless you frisk all 102,000 people that walk through the gate.

I get that alcohol will still work its way into the stadium, but you would have to think less consumption would be going on than if it were sold at the concession stands.  Also, I look at this just as much a punishment.  Punishment for the fan base as it is an inconvenience and punishment for the school in that alcohol sales a huge profit generators and may entice the schools to put more security in the stands to dissuade such behavior.