Louisville shootings - how bad is it?

On 12/9/2021 at 5:44 PM, theguru said:

Here is a graphic from ABC news.

lville.jpg

2021 Homicide Totals, Year End:
Cincinnati: 92 Homicides; Population 310,080 (0.296 homicides per thousand population)
Columbus:  204 Homicides; Population 909,156 (0.224 homicides per thousand population)
Indianapolis: 271 Homicides; Population 1,833,000 (0.148 homicides per thousand population)
Lexington:  37 Homicides; Population 337,000 (0.109 homicides per thousand population)
Louisville: 181 Homicides; Population 1,098,000 (0.165 homicides per thousand population)
Memphis:  342 Homicides; Population 633,885 (0.539 homicides per thousand population)
Nashville:  101 Homicides; Population 1,989,519 (0.051 homicides per thousand population)
St. Louis:  195 Homicides; Population 2,907,648 (0.067 homicides per thousand population)
Toledo:  71 Homicides; Population 509,000 (0.139 homicides per thousand population)

2 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Cincinnati: 92 Homicides; Population 310,080 (0.296 homicides per thousand population)
Columbus:  204 Homicides; Population 909,156 (0.224 homicides per thousand population)
Indianapolis: 271 Homicides; Population 1,833,000 (0.148 homicides per thousand population)
Lexington:  37 Homicides; Population 337,000 (0.109 homicides per thousand population)
Louisville: 181 Homicides; Population 1,098,000 (0.165 homicides per thousand population)
Memphis:  342 Homicides; Population 633,885 (0.539 homicides per thousand population)
Nashville:  101 Homicides; Population 1,989,519 (0.051 homicides per thousand population)
St. Louis:  195 Homicides; Population 2,907,648 (0.067 homicides per thousand population)
Toledo:  71 Homicides; Population 509,000 (0.139 homicides per thousand population)

Wow on Memphis, remind me to never ever ever visit Memphis.  

On Cincinnati, I am really concerned moving forward and per capita the second highest homicide rate on this list of regional cities. 

Also, I didn't realize the city of Lexington is bigger than the city of Cincinnati.  Clearly the surrounding areas of Cincinnati are much more populated but still. 

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

On Cincinnati, I am really concerned moving forward and per capita the second highest homicide rate on this list of regional cities. 

Also, I didn't realize the city of Lexington is bigger than the city of Cincinnati.  Clearly the surrounding areas of Cincinnati are much more populated but still. 

Memphis is apparently the wild west....holy smokes....so more than 1 out of every 2000 people in the city is murdered.

Lexington figures are "Lexington-Fayette," so a metropolitan area, whereas Cincinnati's figures are exclusively Cincinnati city limits and do not include the rest of Hamilton County. Hamilton County's total population is 821,529.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Those numbers are really skewed.  Not sure where they're getting the population numbers from.  🤔   Cincinnati was the only number close to what you get in a Google search.  But with that said, the Cincinnati metro population is probably about twice what Louisville is.  

12 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

Those numbers are really skewed.  Not sure where they're getting the population numbers from.  🤔   Cincinnati was the only number close to what you get in a Google search.  But with that said, the Cincinnati metro population is probably about twice what Louisville is.  

I used a combination of PopulationU.com and Census.gov depending on what info was available where - some homicide reports were for metropolitan areas and I had to jockey between the two sites for info.

2021 populations were projections from the 2020 Census. According to the 2020 Census:

Cincinnati: 309,317
Columbus: 905,748
Indianapolis (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 887,642
Lexington-Fayette: 322,570
Louisville (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 246,161
Memphis: 633,104
Nashville (metro): 689,447 - this one looks like the PopulationU number differs significantly
St. Louis (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 301,578
Toledo (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 270,871

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I used a combination of PopulationU.com and Census.gov depending on what info was available where - some homicide reports were for metropolitan areas and I had to jockey between the two sites for info.

2021 populations were projections from the 2020 Census. According to the 2020 Census:

Cincinnati: 309,317
Columbus: 905,748
Indianapolis (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 887,642
Lexington-Fayette: 322,570
Louisville (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 246,161
Memphis: 633,104
Nashville (metro): 689,447 - this one looks like the PopulationU number differs significantly
St. Louis (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 301,578
Toledo (city, not metro, crime stats were metro): 270,871

Yeah, just very inconsistent. 

Metro Statistical Area is best measure of how large a city is. Cincinnati is 2,221,000 and Louisville is 1,265,000. 

In general, a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is a core urbanized area with a population of at least 50,000 inhabitants – the smallest MSA is Carson City, with an estimated population of nearly 56,000. The urban area is made bigger by adjacent communities that are socially and economically linked to the center. MSAs are particularly helpful in tracking demographic change over time in large communities and allow officials to see where the largest pockets of inhabitants are in the country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/183600/population-of-metropolitan-areas-in-the-us/

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tigerpride94 said:

Metro Statistical Area is best measure of how large a city is. Cincinnati is 2,221,000 and Louisville is 1,265,000. 

In general, a metropolitan statistical area (MSA) is a core urbanized area with a population of at least 50,000 inhabitants – the smallest MSA is Carson City, with an estimated population of nearly 56,000. The urban area is made bigger by adjacent communities that are socially and economically linked to the center. MSAs are particularly helpful in tracking demographic change over time in large communities and allow officials to see where the largest pockets of inhabitants are in the country. https://www.statista.com/statistics/183600/population-of-metropolitan-areas-in-the-us/

Yes I agree with that much more.  Now I’d like to see the numbers based off that total area. 

• Like 2

My southeast Kentucky county doesn’t have many jobs and one of the biggest job opportunities is to go to lineman school and enter into that industry. A friend of mine said his crew has been working in Louisville for several months (work Mon-Thu each week and return home for 3 days). Some of the work is in Louisville’s west side.  He said one of the inspectors who checks their work was robbed at gun point a few months ago. Got his wallet and iPhone. About a month later he was in the area again inspecting and someone came up behind him and put a gun to his head. This time he was robbed of wallet, phone and work truck. Last time I talked to my friend about it he said the police had no leads and said their advice was to always be aware of their surroundings and anything suspicious because this was a high crime area of the city. 

• Sad 2

3 hours ago, The Professor said:

My southeast Kentucky county doesn’t have many jobs and one of the biggest job opportunities is to go to lineman school and enter into that industry. A friend of mine said his crew has been working in Louisville for several months (work Mon-Thu each week and return home for 3 days). Some of the work is in Louisville’s west side.  He said one of the inspectors who checks their work was robbed at gun point a few months ago. Got his wallet and iPhone. About a month later he was in the area again inspecting and someone came up behind him and put a gun to his head. This time he was robbed of wallet, phone and work truck. Last time I talked to my friend about it he said the police had no leads and said their advice was to always be aware of their surroundings and anything suspicious because this was a high crime area of the city. 

Sad but true.  Situational awareness is critical for self preservation in some areas.  Also, sounds like he could’ve bought several subcompact handguns with the amount of money he lost.  And that’s not taking into account the work truck. 

• Like 1

On 1/20/2022 at 6:19 PM, The Professor said:

22 hours ago, sportsfan41 said:

Sad but true.  Situational awareness is critical for self preservation in some areas.  Also, sounds like he could’ve bought several subcompact handguns with the amount of money he lost.  And that’s not taking into account the work truck. 

I chatted with one of my "biker gang" buddies this week and he and his girl are going to Louisville for the weekend.  

We discussed the self-protection "arsenal" that was going with him too. 👀

• Like 1

On 1/13/2022 at 4:01 PM, theguru said:

I grew up 15 mins outside of downtown Cincy, I now live 45 mins outside of it.  I’ve never really felt unsafe outside of a few occasions in OTR.  I’ve always said Bond Hill and Norwood always had me on-guard the most.  Not a lot has changed, sure law-in-order is slowly collapsing, but it’s the same areas 20 years ago, as today that you’re mostly likely to get shot in.

In regards to Memphis, it’s always been like that.  They tried to depict in the move “The Blind Side.”

• 2 weeks later...

This could be worthy of a need thread but just figured I would post in here for now.

State Trooper was shot in Harrison County last Friday.

Two days later, police were shot at in Fort Thomas while trying to stop a vehicle.

Today in Lexington an officer was shot, sounds like his vest stopped the bullet.  Early report were that all suspects involved in today's shootings were juveniles.

None of the shooters/suspects were shot or killed but all were apprehended within hours of the shootings. 

These are just incidents I know of within the past week that are in the northern end of the state. 

• Sad 1

• 11 months later...

Numerous sources confirmed to Troubleshooters two gangs had fired more than 600 rounds using at least 40 different types of guns and that it was not a New Year’s Eve dangerous practice of shooting in the air.

https://www.wkyt.com/2023/01/18/video-600-round-gang-shootout-near-louisville-apartment-complex-obtained/

It's almost unbelievable that none of them were hit, or that no one in the nearby apartments were hit.

17 hours ago, Jumper_Dad said:

Numerous sources confirmed to Troubleshooters two gangs had fired more than 600 rounds using at least 40 different types of guns and that it was not a New Year’s Eve dangerous practice of shooting in the air.

https://www.wkyt.com/2023/01/18/video-600-round-gang-shootout-near-louisville-apartment-complex-obtained/

It's almost unbelievable that none of them were hit, or that no one in the nearby apartments were hit.

About a mile and half from where I grew up.  This is not downtown,  Its not even inside Watterson Expressway.  We saw it coming.  My mother was still living in the house.  We sold it a year and half ago and she moved into a garden home complex nearby. 

I had heard gangs were moving out along Bardstown Road but it seems they have moved over the Taylorsville Road corridor as well. 

• Sad 1