Supplemental School Year Program (SSYP) Guidance from the KHSAA

theguru

55 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Where are the diocesan schools on this issue? I'm hearing both that they're NOT allowing reclassification and that they are. Has that been decided by his holiness?

First off, it's silly to repeat for the purpose of athletics and yes majority will use it for that purpose only. 2nd- Who and what parents in their right mind wants their child to repeat in the private school sector and pay tuition AGAIN? Yes I get it, some are on financial aid and does not pay full tuition. 3rd- Move on, go to college, go to trade school, go to work #AlBundy LOL       

• Like 6

1 hour ago, BrosefStalin said:

Where are the diocesan schools on this issue? I'm hearing both that they're NOT allowing reclassification and that they are. Has that been decided by his holiness?

Good questions. Would statewide policy be mandated out of Louisville, or different ones made by each of the the four dioceses? Do individual school or district boards get to make these decisions? There are Catholic schools which are not under diocesan control too, correct?

Does the Pope typically weigh in on high school sports? 😇

Again, allowing an extra year seems antithetical to every one of the denominatiional private school mission statements I've read. "... in order to educate young men spiritually, academically, physically, and socially" comes to mind. If a private school can't fulfill that promise in four years, I couldn't support it.

Don't the kids have to sign up for the extra year by May 1?    And for public schools,  that is only if their local school board allows the extra year option?   I'm a little out of the loop on this, so I may be missing something.    What is Jefferson County Public Schools' stance on this?

As some may know, I am  a Trinity supporter but I have no  direct pipeline to the school so I don't know what their position is.   I will say that having put four children through Catholic high schools, I would certainly think twice  -  tuition-wise  -   before  I re-upped for an extra year.  However,  I am confident that Trinity was able to cope with the  pandemic well enough such that no students fell very far behind  because of it, and, thus, hopefully no need to take the school year over again.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, BrosefStalin said:

Where are the diocesan schools on this issue? I'm hearing both that they're NOT allowing reclassification and that they are. Has that been decided by his holiness?

I am hearing that the Diocese of Covington is going to be a no. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Kanaka Kahakai said:

NCAA already stated that they WILL NOT recognize or use any grades and/ or scores from "super seniors". Only taking GPA, ACT, SAT scores from original previous 4 years. Can someone enlighten me on my statement? Thx  

I like the term "super seniors!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Carter County School District has not taken the vote to allow or not allow the supplemental year and will not do so till May 17th. This is very unfortunate for the kids who are in the CTE/Vocational Programs in the district, they have simply not had the same amount of hours/instruction/practice for these trade career fields that they would have got in a normal year. Many kids in these programs have progressed themselves out of poverty via these high paying trade jobs. Word on the street is that the Board members on the West end of the county are for granting the supplemental year and the Board members on the East end are not. It’s likely to get very interesting in the month to come because I am afraid that decisions by the Administration and BOE are being based sports. West Carter would have major advantage over East Carter if the athletes at West utilized the supplemental year.