Supplemental School Year Program (SSYP) Guidance from the KHSAA

theguru

44 minutes ago, BEChargers said:

Good thought DT.  You are correct, that may very well include K-12.  I had high school only in my head. 

I did the same when I first read it. I think the majority of the kids who take advantage of the SSYP are going to be elementary kids. 

According to the Herald Leader 523 out of 40000 students in Fayette County requested an extra year.  242 of those were high school students.  Courier Journal says 770 of 96000 students in Jefferson County requested an extra year. One other interesting thing I was not aware of is that students can’t retake classes from previous years or take new classes.  So basically you have to take the exact same schedule you had this year.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, cincydragons said:

According to the Herald Leader 523 out of 40000 students in Fayette County requested an extra year.  242 of those were high school students.  Courier Journal says 770 of 96000 students in Jefferson County requested an extra year. One other interesting thing I was not aware of is that students can’t retake classes from previous years or take new classes.  So basically you have to take the exact same schedule you had this year.

Maybe I don't fully understand it but at first blush this sounds horrible.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, theguru said:

Maybe I don't fully understand it but at first blush this sounds horrible.

All of it sounds horrible to me, but that's been pretty much how I felt about it since the jump.  As time has gone on and it sounds more and more like the true academic benefits of this are being picked off - ie you can't leverage this to help with advanced courses to benefit you in college - then it becomes all about the athletic side which was not the stated purpose of this in the first place.

• Like 1

Just now, DragonFire said:

All of it sounds horrible to me, but that's been pretty much how I felt about it since the jump.  As time has gone on and it sounds more and more like the true academic benefits of this are being picked off - ie you can't leverage this to help with advanced courses to benefit you in college - then it becomes all about the athletic side which was not the stated purpose of this in the first place.

Exactly DF!

The extra year should be about academics first and everything else second.  

Maybe (if I am a 5th year senior) I want to take a foreign language, maybe I am interested in engineering and want to take an advanced math class, maybe I want to take a speech class.  Maybe I want to help myself succeed in college and life and I thought that was the purpose of the 5th year.

Again, like most things anymore, I just shake my head...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Randy Parker said:

I'd like to see test scores from this year compared to those of previous years.  I feel like a lot of students will be quite a bit behind, but that's just me.

Wouldn't surprise me the tiniest bit.

2 hours ago, theguru said:

Exactly DF!

The extra year should be about academics first and everything else second.  

Maybe (if I am a 5th year senior) I want to take a foreign language, maybe I am interested in engineering and want to take an advanced math class, maybe I want to take a speech class.  Maybe I want to help myself succeed in college and life and I thought that was the purpose of the 5th year.

Again, like most things anymore, I just shake my head...

Agreed.  Nothing about the academic side of this makes much sense to me for students at the high school level.

• Like 1