Open Job: Highlands

theguru

52 minutes ago, lincoln24 said:

Renege? Has he accepted? You know something we don't? I can assure that most of the Highlands parents are as frustrated about information being leaked this way before school announced or players are told.  The parents and players have been kept in the dark on process and search. Those that seem to be "in the know" are search committee members and family members/close friends of the search committee.  That's probably who I would congratulate if anything is reneged.  

I wouldn't believe anything until Matt Bertasso announces it himself. The process has been frustrating but this is a hire that has to be done right. Parent and player frustration is warranted because its past its time now to get a coach in place to get ready for next season. The AD never should have said that a coach will be named by Jan. 1 to a local media outlet. 

• Like 2

𝐇𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐋𝐀𝐍𝐃𝐒 𝐇𝐈𝐆𝐇 𝐒𝐂𝐇𝐎𝐎𝐋 𝐇𝐈𝐑𝐄𝐒 𝐅𝐑𝐀𝐍𝐊𝐋𝐈𝐍 𝐂𝐎𝐔𝐍𝐓𝐘’𝐒 𝐄𝐃𝐃𝐈𝐄 𝐉𝐀𝐌𝐄𝐒 𝐀𝐒 𝐍𝐄𝐗𝐓 𝐇𝐄𝐀𝐃 𝐅𝐎𝐎𝐓𝐁𝐀𝐋𝐋 𝐂𝐎𝐀𝐂𝐇

The Fort Thomas Independent Schools announced today that Eddie James has been hired as the next varsity football coach at Highlands High School.  James will oversee all aspects of the Bluebirds’ storied program after a four-year stint as head coach at Franklin County High School.  This past season, James led the Flyers on a remarkable run that ended with a state runner-up finish in the 2020 Kentucky Class 4A playoffs.

“The Highlands Bluebirds represent one of the true blue blood programs in the Common-wealth of Kentucky and a gold standard when it comes to excellence,” James said.  “I would only leave Franklin County for a job of this magnitude, and I am very eager to work with the great student-athletes in Fort Thomas to restore a championship tradition on the foot-ball field.”

After conducting a comprehensive search, Highlands High School principal Matt Bertasso said James’ clear and energetic vision for what Highlands football will embody, both on and off the field, separated him as the ideal candidate to walk the sidelines.

“Eddie James sees the football program as an extension of his own family,” Bertasso said.  “He is about championship-building, for sure.  But he also uses football to teach life lessons that will help mold our students into fine people long after they leave the program.  That’s very important to us.”

James graduated from Franklin County High School in 2005 and held positions as an assis-tant coach at FCHS and at Boyle County before his promotion to head coach at Franklin County in 2017.  James holds bachelor’s and master’s degrees from the University of Ken-tucky and teaches special education.  James also received his Rank 1 in Special Education from University of the Cumberlands.

“Highlands has a long and proud history of competing at the highest levels and Eddie brings with him the coaching acumen and experience needed to bring this kind of achieve-ment back to our football program,” athletic director Wes Caldwell said.  “Hiring Eddie rep-resents a critical investment in our entire athletic department, and his energy will galvanize our community.  We believe a lot of great Friday nights are in store for the Bluebirds.”

James’ wife, Nikki, also teaches special education and the couple has two children, Ava (6) and Jax (3).  The family plans to move from the Frankfort area to Northern Kentucky in the coming months.

“Preparing for my interview at Highlands was like preparing for a big game,” James added.  “Lots of adrenaline and excitement.  And I want to communicate very clearly that everyone who wears an ‘H’ in our program will represent Highlands in a first-class manner on the field, in the classroom and in the community.  That’s my expectation.”

The Fort Thomas Independent Schools will host a small media gathering at the Highlands Fieldhouse, an indoor training facility for Highlands Athletics, to introduce Eddie James.  Masks must be worn at all times and please bring recording equipment compatible with social distancing.

Livestream of the press conference Monday, January 11, will be available on the District Facebook page and Film/Broadcast YouTube channel: http://broadcast.hhsbirds.com

📸 credit: Nick Moore, 44 Sports Photography

From the Eddie James thread:

Just posted to FC Facebook:

I would like to start out by saying this: 

I am staying home. I am not going anywhere. We have unfinished business at Franklin County. 

Our program has been built on a vision of trust, love and accountability to one another since day 1. That vision has turned into a family that goes far beyond our young men who are lucky enough to put on a Flyer jersey.  The love and feeling of family has become contagious throughout our families, school, and ultimately, our community.  As the decision to leave was made, it wore heavy on my family for the reasons above. In the end, what we’ve built means too much to us to just walk away. We’re fully invested in our FCHS family and realize that the impact and work of our family is not done here. 

My love for these young men is very real. The love and support of this community is a result of countless hours of blood, sweat, and tears shed by the young men who’ve chosen to be Flyers.  Our program has been built through countless hours of work and endless hours of love and support for our vision. It has been built OUR way and on OUR terms and on OUR hard work. We will continue to work at a frantic, tireless pace to make football great for every kid in Franklin County.

In closing, I would like to formally apologize to everyone involved. The initial decision made was for what most people conventionally consider to be their family. As things have unfolded, my family realized that our family includes more than myself, Nikki, Ava and Jax.  Our family members also include a Blair, DoDo, Kaden, OG, LeMarques, Taesean, Tyler, Nick, Jaizon and countless others. Our family has and continues to grow and today we are choosing that family. We’re not walking out on them. We will continue to choose them over and over again. 

The love and relationships that we’ve built are too much. We’re putting our feet on the ground and going to continue to love these young men and work as hard as we possibly can to impact their lives. So as a community, I ask you to rally ALL your support behind what we are building here. We need ALL of you to do your part. Support our vision - attend events and games, help with fundraisers, and donate your time or money so these young men have the things they need to see our vision through all the way to a State Championship. 

There is a quote that says “Happiness is letting go of what you think your life is supposed to look like." And that is exactly what we are doing. We’re letting go and letting God direct our work. We’re here to stay and it’s time to get back to work. 

Coach James ‘05

Just now, theguru said:

Judging from the State Championship game I don't think that would work out too well for the Birds. 

We'll see. I noticed he didn't mention Highlands in his announcement at all. I think he belongs in Franklin County. 

2 minutes ago, DukeDog said:

That’s incredible. Either something bad happened, or he just made a lot of enemies at Highlands. 

Can’t blame him for not wanting to leave home, but this wasn’t the best way to go about that. 

What could he have possibly have done in the span of three days to make a lot of enemies?

This sounds to me that either this is a Highlands problem or this is something that came up from a HR or employability aspect which we will never know the real truth about.

Let's be clear here.. I find it very unlikely he just got cold feet.... something has precipitated the cancellation of this move. 

• Like 1

I hope Coach James stops using the words trust and accountability for a while and takes some time to reflect on those words and how he truly shows them in his life. 

While I want to find the lulz in this, I feel bad for Highlands, their AD, and their players for being jerked around. INCREDIBLY weak....

Oh, how I'd love to know what REALLY went down and if $$$ was thrown at Coach James which magnified his love, trust and dedication to Franklin County. 

• Like 4