Open Job: Highlands

theguru

18 minutes ago, theguru said:

From the NKY Tribune/Google but the link gives you a 404 Error:

Highlands offers football head coaching position to Franklin County mentor Eddie James. Eddie James, who guided Franklin County to the Class 4A state finals this season, has been offered the job as the football head coach at Highlands High School.11 hours ago

There you have it. BGP official. 

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Either that or a double helping of egg on the Tribune's face. 

Yes. Someone thought they had the Scoop. Nothing surprises me anymore with what people will come up with. If it is the name they released then great for them. Still don’t think it’s the right thing to do. Did it name names on where they got their Info from? Or does it matter anymore?

• Like 1

The article said that the job had been offered and he had the weekend to "think about it." Now, if that was true, then shame on everyone associated with it, but based on the article not being there, I can only assume there was a spicy phone call from someone at Highlands to whatever the NKY Tribune is to say hey, if you ever want us to answer a call again, take it down.   

I mean, what was with the tweets with the riddle and riding from the South.   I mean, I get it, don't get me wrong, but I'd honestly prefer a long @Colonels_Wear_Blue post as a better example of journalism than whatever this guy is doing.   

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

The article said that the job had been offered and he had the weekend to "think about it." Now, if that was true, then shame on everyone associated with it, but based on the article not being there, I can only assume there was a spicy phone call from someone at Highlands to whatever the NKY Tribune is to say hey, if you ever want us to answer a call again, take it down.   

I mean, what was with the tweets with the riddle and riding from the South.   I mean, I get it, don't get me wrong, but I'd honestly prefer a long @Colonels_Wear_Blue post as a better example of journalism than whatever this guy is doing.   

Spicy phone call 😂

That makes sense. I guess it’s still somewhat of a mystery then. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, observerbynature said:

Or Don could be 10000% right and he's getting his hands tied by his editors bc of interests outside of what Don is dutifully trying to do.

I'd be real careful about being critical of Don, because you might not have noticed, but he's pretty much the only cat in town doing anything of any substance with prep sports. Which is nice. And he's a fantastic reporter in a business where that's not really important anymore. 

2 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

Or Don could be 10000% right and he's getting his hands tied by his editors bc of interests outside of what Don is dutifully trying to do.

I'd be real careful about being critical of Don, because you might not have noticed, but he's pretty much the only cat in town doing anything of any substance with prep sports. Which is nice. And he's a fantastic reporter in a business where that's not really important anymore. 

You know, that's fair, and I appreciate the fact that he's putting prep sports info out there, but I think I'm just uncomfortable with how this whole thing may be going down (I can't claim to know how it is going down).  And you're also right that it's not cool to put it all on Don, but I guess I'm just stuck thinking about making sure whoever  the new coach is that he gets to tell his current players, families and community that he's leaving on his terms.  I may be very excited about the future, but I also want the people on the other end of this to get their time to handle it internally as well.   That may be wishful thinking, I know, but still.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, BrosefStalin said:

From the Tribune:

DON OWEN, Sports Editor, don@nkytrib.com
Don Owen is a native of Newport who spent more than 27 years working in the sports communications field. Owen worked as a sports writer for The Kentucky Post from 1990-93 and he served as the sports information director at Northern Kentucky University from 1993-2014. Owen is also the author of two novels, including the paranormal thriller “Wilderness of Divine Precedent” that was published in 2016. He is a graduate of Northern Kentucky University and lives in Newport.