We have a Vaccine

Voice of Reason

Just now, Bluegrasscard said:

The obesity is a problem due to the fact that obese people are usually also low on Vitamin-D levels.   And Vitamin-D level may be the number one factor in outcome.  Studies are specific on this. 

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7276229/

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200702/More-evidence-on-vitamin-D-deficiency-and-death-rates-from-COVID-19.aspx

I encourage everyone to have their Vitamin-D level checked. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Japan endorsed this week - specifically for COVID.  But it has been viewed as a wonder-drug in general for years. 

From 2011:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/21321478/

Some of the Indian states have used it as well.  The results between states that did and did not use it have been substantial.  

• Thanks 1

You do have read the fine print sometimes. 

Related to hospitlization rate for vaxxed/unvaxxed in last weeks CDC report. 

https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/70/wr/pdfs/mm7034e5-H.pdf

SARS-CoV-2 Infections and Hospitalizations Among Persons Aged ≥16 Years, by Vaccination Status — Los Angeles County, California, May 1–July 25, 2021

If your less than 14 days after getting the final shot - your unvaxxed.  This may (or may not skew the data) - its unknown. That could have easily, very easily, been addressed by including that category in its own column. 

And in the limitations section there are these interesting statements:

"The findings in this report are subject to at least six limitations. "

"First, vaccination data for persons who lived in Los Angeles County at the time of their laboratory-confirmed infection but who were vaccinated outside of California were unavailable, leading to mis-classification of their vaccination status;"

"Third, COVID-19–associated hospitalizations were determined based on hospital admission and SARS-CoV-2 test dates alone, leading to the inclusion of incidental hospitalizations that were not associated with COVID-19."

So if you tested positive not long after getting final vaxx; or you were vaxxed outside of Los Angeles County; or if you were admitted to the hospital for something completely unrelated to COVID but tested positive upon addmission - your counted as part of the "unvaxxed surge in hospitalizations". 

If also read that in some places in the world they are considering you as unvaccinated if it has been so many days since you got the shots.  In other words your vaccine has worn off.  Saw an article today that apparently they are discussing requiring boosters every 5 months. 

8 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

If also read that in some places in the world they are considering you as unvaccinated if it has been so many days since you got the shots.  In other words your vaccine has worn off.  Saw an article today that apparently they are discussing requiring boosters every 5 months. 

Forget that!

15 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

I’m good with that.  Boost me monthly as far as I am concerned.  

First hand stories I have heard recently:

69 year old man in good health passes away from COVID

50 year old state trooper in peak physical condition passes away from COVID

18 year old, no health issues on a ventilator

48 year old woman in good health on ventilator

43 year old man who trains daily, great health passes away from COVID

63 year old in good health gets COVID spends 3 weeks in hospital and on ventilator part of that time; released from hospital but it will be "a very long road to full recovery".

All of these stories for these people and their families would be very different if they had been vaccinated.

16 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

That is unsustainable.

What concerns me is another variant that makes Delta look like a bad JV team.  

37 minutes ago, theguru said:

That is unsustainable.

What concerns me is another variant that makes Delta look like a bad JV team.  

Agree. The more we let this thing keep circulating, the faster the next variant evolves. 

But, at the rate Delta is going, we should be at 90% or more of the US with antibodies by end of the year. Everyone is choosing how to get the antibodies - vaccine or virus. I think virtually everyone is going to get it one way or the other.

Deaths continue a steep path upward. The US three day moving average went over 1,000 a day last week.

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Agree. The more we let this thing keep circulating, the faster the next variant evolves. 

But, at the rate Delta is going, we should be at 90% or more of the US with antibodies by end of the year. Everyone is choosing how to get the antibodies - vaccine or virus. I think virtually everyone is going to get it one way or the other.

We agree VoR however a more robust variant figures to be a very efficient killer, even to some of those with antibodies. 

2 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

First hand stories I have heard recently:

69 year old man in good health passes away from COVID

50 year old state trooper in peak physical condition passes away from COVID

18 year old, no health issues on a ventilator

48 year old woman in good health on ventilator

43 year old man who trains daily, great health passes away from COVID

63 year old in good health gets COVID spends 3 weeks in hospital and on ventilator part of that time; released from hospital but it will be "a very long road to full recovery".

All of these stories for these people and their families would be very different if they had been vaccinated.

But at the end of the day, it was their choice whether or not they were vaccinated.  As it should be. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, sportsfan41 said:

But at the end of the day, it was their choice whether or not they were vaccinated.  As it should be. 

True, as long as their choice doesn't impact the safety of others. It is a shame though to see lives lost when it is preventable. A 1,000 people a day are dying now, and those deaths are preventable.

• Like 2