Thom Brennaman

31 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Umm what? MLB network doesn’t even broadcast games they just play the feed from fox sports Ohio and what the equivalent is in every market. It was on FSO and he should fired. 

You might want to check that.  If it was on FSOhio broadcast why did it take so long for them to react?  

Fox NFL has booted Brennaman:

"FOX Sports is extremely disappointed with Thom Brennaman’s remarks during Wednesday’s Cincinnati Reds telecast. The language used was abhorrent, unacceptable, and not representative of the values of FOX Sports. As it relates to Brennaman’s FOX NFL role, we are moving forward with our NFL schedule which will not include him."

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

Fox NFL has booted Brennaman:

"FOX Sports is extremely disappointed with Thom Brennaman’s remarks during Wednesday’s Cincinnati Reds telecast. The language used was abhorrent, unacceptable, and not representative of the values of FOX Sports. As it relates to Brennaman’s FOX NFL role, we are moving forward with our NFL schedule which will not include him."

No surprise there. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

The comments by Brenneman last night was the type of rhetoric and vernacular that you hear from an ignorant 5th grader. Never in my adult life have I heard that word used. 

Don't know if you'll find actual video of it, but just type in "Kobe Bryant 2011 homophobic" into your search engine and see what comes up.  

And, as we know, Kobe played another 5 years after that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CincySportsFan said:

Don't know if you'll find actual video of it, but just type in "Kobe Bryant 2011 homophobic" into your search engine and see what comes up.  

And, as we know, Kobe played another 5 years after that.

I don't think comparing an announcer to a super star player is a fair comparison. 

4 minutes ago, theguru said:

I don't think comparing an announcer to a super star player is a fair comparison. 

Grant said he had never in his adult life ever heard that word.  All I was pointing out was that this is not the first time the word has been used in sports.  

So a player gets "excused" for using it, because he's a super star?

Look, neither one of them should have said it.  But, Kobe directed it at a specific individual and got off with a $100,000 fine and some PSA's.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, MJAlltheWay24 said:

Times have changed a lot since 2011 vs 2020.  Not that it was "okay" back then either.

I had Boondock Saints on in the background today and the use of the word Thom dropped on air was used many times throughout and in several forms.

I think a fictionalized depiction of a "character" who may or may not be xenophobic, homophobic, violent, crass...or heck, a murderer...is worlds apart from what Thom did, though.

There are still movies that have the word in the script. There are still movies that depict racists using racial slurs. The reason those words occur in the dialogue of the movie is because they are there for the sake of accuracy or development of the character. You aren't very well depicting a slave-trader accurately in a movie by having them call the black people that they are enslaving and selling "African Americans". In movies, words like that get a pass, of sorts, because they are part of the artistic depiction of dramatic characters.

Thom wasn't being a dramatic character when he let his word fly on-air over a hot mic. Thom was shooting the breeze and using that word in conversation.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said:

You might want to check that.  If it was on FSOhio broadcast why did it take so long for them to react?  

I don’t have to check it. MLB network doesn’t broadcast anything. You pay a subscription to be able to view the broadcasts as you would get in the home market of the team you’re watching. I don’t know why it took FSO so long to react, it was probably because no one in the broadcast crew knew that he was on air until they saw the reactions on social media. 

4 hours ago, Colonels_Wear_Blue said:

I think a fictionalized depiction of a "character" who may or may not be xenophobic, homophobic, violent, crass...or heck, a murderer...is worlds apart from what Thom did, though.

There are still movies that have the word in the script. There are still movies that depict racists using racial slurs. The reason those words occur in the dialogue of the movie is because they are there for the sake of accuracy or development of the character. You aren't very well depicting a slave-trader accurately in a movie by having them call the black people that they are enslaving and selling "African Americans". In movies, words like that get a pass, of sorts, because they are part of the artistic depiction of dramatic characters.

Thom wasn't being a dramatic character when he let his word fly on-air over a hot mic. Thom was shooting the breeze and using that word in conversation.

Completely agree with you. And my comments weren't in defense of Thom at all. What he said is completely uncalled for.

It was just interesting watching the movie today and hearing it over and over, which often wasn't about building homophobic characters. Just stood out today rewatching the flick, and it might not have as much yesterday. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

I don’t have to check it. MLB network doesn’t broadcast anything. You pay a subscription to be able to view the broadcasts as you would get in the home market of the team you’re watching. I don’t know why it took FSO so long to react, it was probably because no one in the broadcast crew knew that he was on air until they saw the reactions on social media. 

I've seen several things state it didn't go out on Fox Sports Ohio but did on MLB Network.

2 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

MLB does broadcast games (as well as talk shows and highlight shows just like ESPN).  I've worked 2 of the MLB Broadcasts at GABP this year:  Opening Day and the August 3rd game against Cleveland.  Sometimes they use their own announcers and sometimes they pick the feed from one of the teams.  It's entirely possible that FSO was still in commercial break but MLB cut back in early and caught Thom saying it. 

8 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

The comments by Brenneman last night was the type of rhetoric and vernacular that you hear from an ignorant 5th grader. Never in my adult life have I heard that word used. 

That was what struck me as well. I honestly couldn’t even recall the last time I heard the word.