August 20, 20206 yr 54 minutes ago, afi100guy said: I agree that it was a very casual statement which indicates it is a term he probably uses frequently. I do not think he works again. I don’t KNOW, but this is my guess as well. By all accounts he’s a good guy, but this makes one wonder what he says when he’s not behind a mic.
August 20, 20206 yr 39 minutes ago, mcpapa said: I don’t KNOW, but this is my guess as well. By all accounts he’s a good guy, but this makes one wonder what he says when he’s not behind a mic. If he was that comfortable saying it in PUBLIC in front of cameras and mics, he's said far worse in private.
August 20, 20206 yr He is likely to be fired. The Reds also need to examine the work environment if that is the type of conversations happening in their work place as well. That was way to casual and it was at work presumably in front of multiple people so who knows what else is said on a regular basis.
August 20, 20206 yr I don't see how he works again calling a sporting event after that. Castellanos hitting a homer during the apology is something i might not ever forget.
August 20, 20206 yr Here is the official statement the Reds just released. The Cincinnati Reds organization is devastated by the horrific, homophobic remark made this evening by broadcaster Thom Brennaman. He was pulled off the air, and effective immediately was suspended from doing Reds broadcasts. We will be addressing our broadcasting team in the coming days. In no way does this incident represent our players, coaches, organization, or our fans. We share our sincerest apologies to the LGBTQ+ community in Cincinnati, Kansas City, all across this country, and beyond. The Reds embrace a zero-tolerance policy for bias or discrimination of any kind, and we are truly sorry to anyone who has been offended.
August 20, 20206 yr 1 hour ago, Coach112 said: He is likely to be fired. The Reds also need to examine the work environment if that is the type of conversations happening in their work place as well. That was way to casual and it was at work presumably in front of multiple people so who knows what else is said on a regular basis. Who do TV/radio guys work for? Are they direct employees of the Reds or Fox (or whichever company has local rights)? Do the Reds make the hire or does the TV station. I don't know what will ultimately become of Brennaman but I am curious as to who makes the call.
August 20, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, TheDeuce said: If he was that comfortable saying it in PUBLIC in front of cameras and mics, he's said far worse in private. While I know what you're saying, I wouldn't consider this a true public setting. If he had known the mic was on, and still said it...then that's public, in my opinion. I'd be surprised if he doesn't know every person involved in the FSO broadcast, especially given the streamlined way things are right now. (Now, if we were talking about a national NFL broadcast, then yeah, he might not know every single person Fox might have.) Still, no excuse. Makes you wonder what's been said over the years, that the mic HASN'T picked up.
August 20, 20206 yr Are we all perfect? The guy made a mistake and is now getting crucified for it. Fox mic did not pick up the comment, mlb network did. What he said is wrong, but not worthy of a firing imo. Suspension yes.
August 20, 20206 yr Just now, Jack of all Trades said: Are we all perfect? The guy made a mistake and is now getting crucified for it. Fox mic did not pick up the comment, mlb network did. What he said is wrong, but not worthy of a firing imo. Suspension yes. The mistake he made was voicing his bigotry in a public setting.
August 20, 20206 yr C.S. Lewis Quote: Integrity is doing the right thing even when no one is watching. (or listening as in this case)
August 20, 20206 yr I read the comments last night and just listened to them for the first time. I doubt we ever get the full context of the comments and with that said I heard contempt in his voice. And like some others mentioned I can't even imagine how despicable Brennaman must be in private.
August 20, 20206 yr 3 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said: Who do TV/radio guys work for? Are they direct employees of the Reds or Fox (or whichever company has local rights)? Do the Reds make the hire or does the TV station. I don't know what will ultimately become of Brennaman but I am curious as to who makes the call. My understanding is that they are employed by the team. The producers and audio team is likely employed by Fox Sports Ohio but the Reds have an ownership stake in FS OH.
August 20, 20206 yr 2 hours ago, Jack of all Trades said: Are we all perfect? The guy made a mistake and is now getting crucified for it. Fox mic did not pick up the comment, mlb network did. What he said is wrong, but not worthy of a firing imo. Suspension yes. Umm what? MLB network doesn’t even broadcast games they just play the feed from fox sports Ohio and what the equivalent is in every market. It was on FSO and he should fired.
August 20, 20206 yr The comments by Brenneman last night was the type of rhetoric and vernacular that you hear from an ignorant 5th grader. Never in my adult life have I heard that word used.
Archived
This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.