Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Jumper_Dad

23 hours ago, John Anthony said:

Voting today, we’re gonna know really soon.  I’m feeling cautiously optimistic.

On this morning's show Clay Travis (who I do not like at all, but I flipped him on during a commercial) said the Big 10 will start play on October 19th and get in an 8 or 9 game season.  They will have their champion in place in time for the playoffs selection.

6 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

On this morning's show Clay Travis (who I do not like at all, but I flipped him on during a commercial) said the Big 10 will start play on October 19th and get in an 8 or 9 game season.  They will have their champion in place in time for the playoffs selection.

If they only play eight games (assuming none are canceled due to COVID) and everyone else plays 10 or 11, should they even be eligible?

13 hours ago, Irish Cat said:

Based on the playoff game last year, I guess the ACC was a good enough tune up to be ready for the best shot the Big 10 had to offer. 

Well, my joke -hence the emoji - (aimed at the Cardinal fan, who I was replying to) obviously went over everybody's head.

I'm going to leave my initial replies for these comments out, as it was not my intention to get into an argument over which team/conference is better than another.

But, going back to Deuce's original comment over number of games...how many times have we seen a team play an FCS team and some other weak out of conference opponents on a regular basis?  So, in reality, aren't they "only playing 8 or 9" real games?  I mean, do we really have to see a 62-7 win over The Citadel/Wofford/Mercer/Furman/etc. to know what the team truly can do?  The answer is, obviously, no.

And just FYI - for the last several years, the teams in the Big 10, Pac 12 and Big 12 all played 9 conference games, while the ACC and SEC each played 8.

• Like 1

On 9/14/2020 at 12:49 PM, TheDeuce said:

If they only play eight games (assuming none are canceled due to COVID) and everyone else plays 10 or 11, should they even be eligible?

I think that’s the best part of the committee and their proverbial “eye-test.”  If we even get to play 8 games, OSU will need to win by a +35 to +40 margin to show they’re one of the top 4 teams pound for pound.  OSU will have to go for 70 a game with no remorse and from what I’m hearing, they will.

• Like 1

Just now, John Anthony said:

I think that’s the best part of the committee and their proverbial “eye-test.”  If we even get to play 8 games, OSU will need to win by a +35 margin to show they’re one of the top 4 teams pound for pound.

I think most probably already think OSU is Top 4. Instead of playing their way in, OSU would be trying not to play their way out, IMO.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

I think most probably already think OSU is Top 4. Instead of playing their way in, OSU would be trying not to play their way out, IMO.

Agreed, but I think they might upset a lot of opposing coaches this year in the B10.  Is what it is, heck, let’s see if we even play.

21 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

This really doesn't change anything for them. Ohio State was going to have a cake walk through their schedule to begin with, they are just head and shoulders above everyone else. As you say, they are in the Top 4, they just need to not screw it up the way they seem to do nearly every year.