Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Jumper_Dad

19 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Absolutely.  You also have to remember, he speaks for the Big Ten as a whole.  This a a conference decision, not something that is unilaterally made by just him.  

From his outward defiance, refusal to answer any tough questions in his press conference yesterday, his non-revealing of which schools voted which way which is public record anyways for every school besides Northwestern. Kevin Warren made this about himself yesterday. 

18 hours ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think the argument is about 20,000+ other students are about to arrive on campus at every school which will eliminate the sort of "quasi bubble" teams have been participating in for the last few weeks.

True, but unless we forget that these men are still students, than wouldn't they be going to class, etc. and being exposed to these 20,000 other students regardless of whether they have football practices or games?  

From what I understand the reality of the situation is that these men are treated nothing like the regular students and often don't attend class in favor of tutoring sessions, etc.  How many days of the year are they not even physically present on campus during classes due to travel for games and such.  You could still isolate them just fine if that is the desired outcome.  

9 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

I wonder if Big 10 and PAC are having second thoughts.

They won't until games are actually played. 

I do, however, believe that they probably assumed if they announced they weren't playing, that everyone else would as well. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, TheDeuce said:

Maryland QB already in the transfer portal, LOL.

Just a random thought...

If the other conferences are delaying announcing the cancellation of the season so they can rob the PAC 12 and BIG 10 of transfers, what a horrible/brilliant thing to do.

6 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

Just a random thought...

If the other conferences are delaying announcing the cancellation of the season so they can rob the PAC 12 and BIG 10 of transfers, what a horrible/brilliant thing to do.

It’s going to be tough. If players have graduated like Shaun Wade for example at Ohio State, I could see a school like Boston College trying to swoop him up due to his relationship with Coach Hafley. I don’t think it would be smart decision to just transfer in any player to a system where they have roughly 3 weeks or so to integrate in to a system. It would take a unique situation. For players that haven’t graduated I don’t think it will be possible at least in the case of the Big 10 schools because they are still “planning” to have a season in the spring. I don’t know if that reasoning would be enough to allow the NCAA to grant them a waiver to play immediately this fall. But it is the NCAA so who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think the bigger issue is the negative recruiting against the Big 10 and Pac 12 from conferences that are playing. That’s what I’m more concerned about personally and honestly it’s something I’m deeply concerned about as an Ohio State fan. Why would I want to go to a conference that is showing a lack of leadership at the top and is littered with administrators at most of the schools that don’t care about football? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

It’s going to be tough. If players have graduated like Shaun Wade for example at Ohio State, I could see a school like Boston College trying to swoop him up due to his relationship with Coach Hafley. I don’t think it would be smart decision to just transfer in any player to a system where they have roughly 3 weeks or so to integrate in to a system. It would take a unique situation. For players that haven’t graduated I don’t think it will be possible at least in the case of the Big 10 schools because they are still “planning” to have a season in the spring. I don’t know if that reasoning would be enough to allow the NCAA to grant them a waiver to play immediately this fall. But it is the NCAA so who knows. 🤷🏻‍♂️ I think the bigger issue is the negative recruiting against the Big 10 and Pac 12 from conferences that are playing. That’s what I’m more concerned about personally and honestly it’s something I’m deeply concerned about as an Ohio State fan. Why would I want to go to a conference that is showing a lack of leadership at the top and is littered with administrators at most of the schools that don’t care about football? 

Great point. 
I never considered the wording of canceling vs. postponing.

I hate the NCAA as much as anyone on this site but they’re in a no win situation with this one...