Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Jumper_Dad

So, what if they do play in the spring?  If the SEC and ACC decide to go ahead with this fall...what is everyone playing for in either season?  A conference championship?  Do we go back to the old bowl-type of post season?  Is the national championship decided by some type of poll?  Ugh.  

Am I wrong in think that most of these players have been on campus all summer already, without any major incidents.  Seems like had quite a few players test positive upon arrival, likely indicating that they were infected at home, but since that initial testing, has anybody heard of any outbreaks among college teams.  Shouldn't that lead to presumption that playing games would not really  be much different?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Irish Cat said:

Am I wrong in think that most of these players have been on campus all summer already, without any major incidents.  Seems like had quite a few players test positive upon arrival, likely indicating that they were infected at home, but since that initial testing, has anybody heard of any outbreaks among college teams.  Shouldn't that lead to presumption that playing games would not really  be much different?

I think the argument is about 20,000+ other students are about to arrive on campus at every school which will eliminate the sort of "quasi bubble" teams have been participating in for the last few weeks.

1 minute ago, gchs_uk9 said:

I think the argument is about 20,000+ other students are about to arrive on campus at every school which will eliminate the sort of "quasi bubble" teams have been participating in for the last few weeks.

Any university president that votes to cancel football and allows students on campus is a hypocrite. 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

Any university president that votes to cancel football and allows students on campus is a hypocrite. 

Yup.

I’d be bummed but you wouldn’t hear a single complaint from me if classes were moved online.

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Since football isn't being offered will players be immediately eligible at their new school?

I can’t think of one reason why they wouldn’t be eligible.

Keep in mind, this is the NCAA though.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, theguru said:

Since football isn't being offered will players be immediately eligible at their new school?

I’m not sure on that. Seems like I read there is a difference between a program canceling a season and dropping a sport. Although with the new transfer rules coming in this season I don’t see why they wouldn’t be allowed to transfer. 

• Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, theguru said:

Exactly and I would go further than hypocrite and call them super-hypocrites.  

Allow me to introduce to you Big 10 Commissioner Kevin Warren. The super hypocrite above them all. His son is practicing football at Mississippi State today and has not opted out of playing football this fall. 

36 minutes ago, TheDeuce said:

They should be. 

Absolutely they should be. I wouldn’t fault one player who left the Big 10 to play in a conference actually playing football this fall. The Big 10 had know idea that with this decision, they are destroying the conference from the inside.