Jump to content
Jumper_Dad

Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, TheDeuce said:

Good thing the CFP would finish in 2021!

I’m gonna say he’s talking about those too.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also I would say the national championship goes through ACC and SEC, so whatever happens this fall will be accurate if it happens.  
 

Problem is if CFB gets shut down once, twice,  etc... the BiG 10 or PAC12 may win a national championship in the Spring. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The NCAA only controls the FCS Championship (16 team playoff) in D1.  The FCS Champion is the only NCAA Champion in D1.  As member schools, the FBS schools abide by NCAA rules (supposedly) but the NCAA has no say in the FBS (CFP) championship.  So when the NCAA says they are cancelling all Championships in 2020, they are only talking about the FCS, D2 and D3 Championships in football. The CFP is free to have it's championship whenever it wants.  

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, John Anthony said:

The B1G is calling everyone’s bluff.  We’ll look really smart, or incredibly stupid.

The bluff being what? I don't think the other conferences are bluffing. They are going to play. As to whose decision is best, that is a guessing game that will be answered over the next 2 months.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Louisville AD Vince Tyra:

"As this week comes to a close, I can tell you that the Louisville Cardinals and the ACC are planning to move forward with the plan to play football. We do not anticipate this changing unless new information comes forward from the ACC Medical Advisory Group.

Additionally, we have submitted our plan for fans to be in attendance at homes games in a limited capacity [...] and we hope to receive an answer shortly. Once we do, we will reach out to our season ticket holders immediately." 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

The bluff being what? I don't think the other conferences are bluffing. They are going to play. As to whose decision is best, that is a guessing game that will be answered over the next 2 months.

Let’s see in 90 days, personally I think we’ve all been on summer break from the virus.  It hasn’t been a good summer either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

Let’s see in 90 days, personally I think we’ve all been on summer break from the virus.  It hasn’t been a good summer either.

What does 90 days have to do with someone bluffing?

Yes, in 90 days we will know which conferences decision was better but that has nothing to do with bluffing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Voice of Reason said:

What does 90 days have to do with someone bluffing?

Yes, in 90 days we will know which conferences decision was better but that has nothing to do with bluffing.

That I’m not sold on everyone playing.  Schools really have to hope waivers will hold up.  If this heart condition is a byproduct of the bug and they send student athletes out to play, that could lead to enormous lawsuits.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.  This condition is usually caused by a viral infection.

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

That I’m not sold on everyone playing.  Schools really have to hope waivers will hold up.  If this heart condition is a byproduct of the bug and they send student athletes out to play, that could lead to enormous lawsuits.

Myocarditis, inflammation of the heart muscle, has been found in at least five Big Ten Conference athletes and among several other athletes in other conferences, according to two sources with knowledge of athletes' medical care.  This condition is usually caused by a viral infection.

 


Any chance they ask those who are willing to play to sign a waiver?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MBWC41 said:


Any chance they ask those who are willing to play to sign a waiver?

Waivers have limited value in any legal situation.  "Negligence" can not be waived and that is what is claimed in most lawsuits. 

COVID would just add to the list of other possible liabilities an institution may face.  Things like death or injury from things like heat stroke, staph (locker rooms), etc. are always in play and likely covered under a liability insurance policy.  

The big question may be - what do the insurance companies thing think the exposure is?  And what are they going to charge the institution to cover that exposure?  The challenge is insurance rates are based on data.  While the data indicates college age and younger have a essentially a zero percent chance of dying from COVID, the long term affects are not well known. 

 

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bluegrasscard said:

Waivers have limited value in any legal situation.  "Negligence" can not be waived and that is what is claimed in most lawsuits. 

COVID would just add to the list of other possible liabilities an institution may face.  Things like death or injury from things like heat stroke, staph (locker rooms), etc. are always in play and likely covered under a liability insurance policy.  

The big question may be - what do the insurance companies thing think the exposure is?  And what are they going to charge the institution to cover that exposure?  The challenge is insurance rates are based on data.  While the data indicates college age and younger have a essentially a zero percent chance of dying from COVID, the long term affects are not well known. 

 

This is exactly why the B1G cancelled in a nutshell.  100% spot on, it’s what doctors don’t know that scares them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John Anthony said:

This is exactly why the B1G cancelled in a nutshell.  100% spot on, it’s what doctors don’t know that scares them.

The Big 10 cancelled because they are hoping they can make more money in the spring. More games actually played, have fans at games, etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

The Big 10 cancelled because they are hoping they can make more money in the spring. More games actually played, have fans at games, etc.

By that logic their hoping for a vaccine because nothing would be different if one doesn’t come.  Oklahoma just announced they have 9 infected players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

By that logic their hoping for a vaccine because nothing would be different if one doesn’t come.  Oklahoma just announced they have 9 infected players.

I am sure they are hoping for a vaccine, or at least significantly lower spread rates and even better therapeutics. Surely you aren't saying the Big10 made their decision purely for altruistic reasons and economics were not a factor?

Oklahoma 9 infected players ... put them in quarantine, test everyone else, play on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

I am sure they are hoping for a vaccine, or at least significantly lower spread rates and even better therapeutics. Surely you aren't saying the Big10 made their decision purely for altruistic reasons and economics were not a factor?

Oklahoma 9 infected players ... put them in quarantine, test everyone else, play on.

No it’s obvious to me it’s all about liability.  Do you (if you were in charge) play those 9 Oklahoma players after they test negative in a few weeks, even with the possibility of heart related side effects of COVID?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using the site you agree to our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Policies.