Jumper_Dad

Big 10 Cancels Football Season

All of this clearly means no basketball as well, right? 

26 minutes ago, John Anthony said:

I think the way things are going, March Madness 2021 is squarely on Joe Lunardis bubble. 

1 hour ago, John Anthony said:

You would have to think so.  When does hoops practice start, October?  And if basketball can start then there isn't any reason football couldn't start a little late. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

Allow me to introduce to you Big 10 Commissioner Kevin Warren. The super hypocrite above them all. His son is practicing football at Mississippi State today and has not opted out of playing football this fall. 

Adults playing football at another college are independent and free to make their own decision.  In other words, I don't see this as hypocrisy. 

This could be awesome. Forget conferences. Let the big boys play and set up their own league and schedules. Run college like the NFL this year with the much wanted expanded playoffs.

23 minutes ago, theguru said:

Adults playing football at another college are independent and free to make their own decision.  In other words, I don't see this as hypocrisy. 

He won’t let his conference play football because it’s not safe, but he’ll let his son? You don’t see that hypocrisy? 

3 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This could be awesome. Forget conferences. Let the big boys play and set up their own league and schedules. Run college like the NFL this year with the much wanted expanded playoffs.

Too easy. Fox, ABC, and NBC would all sue. 

32 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

He won’t let his conference play football because it’s not safe, but he’ll let his son? You don’t see that hypocrisy? 

His son is an adult so no I don't see that hypocrisy. 

21 minutes ago, theguru said:

His son is an adult so no I don't see that hypocrisy. 

So it’s not safe for his conference but is ok for his son. What part of that is not hypocritical? If he is allowing his son to play football this year it’s hypocritical. It’s the very definition of hypocritical. 

55 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

Too easy. Fox, ABC, and NBC would all sue. 

As someone posted, force majeure.

If we do not do what other countries have done we can copy and paste this thread for next year.  

Denial is why we are where we are.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, GrantNKY said:

So it’s not safe for his conference but is ok for his son. What part of that is not hypocritical? If he is allowing his son to play football this year it’s hypocritical. It’s the very definition of hypocritical. 

Who is to say he doesn't think it's ok for his son?  If his son is 18 years or older, then Dad can object if he wants, but son can play football b/c he's legally an adult and can make his own decisions.  I can be a vegetarian and speak of the health benefits, but if I had an adult son and he chooses to eat meat products, that doesn't make me a hypocrite.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

Who is to say he doesn't think it's ok for his son?  If his son is 18 years or older, then Dad can object if he wants, but son can play football b/c he's legally an adult and can make his own decisions.  I can be a vegetarian and speak of the health benefits, but if I had an adult son and he chooses to eat meat products, that doesn't make me a hypocrite.

True, I guess what Grant is trying to say is will he advise, his son, not to play considering the risk.

15 hours ago, theguru said:

Absolutely.  You also have to remember, he speaks for the Big Ten as a whole.  This a a conference decision, not something that is unilaterally made by just him.  

10 hours ago, Unrivaled97 said:

That’s garbage and you know it. We all know college students aren’t independent of their families when they go off to college. If dad doesn’t want him to play, he wouldn’t be playing.