Big 10 Cancels Football Season

Jumper_Dad

2 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is why I think high school athletes are in a safer environment than college athletes. 

Based on everyone being from a centralized location and the number of students, you’re probably right.

21 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

No sport, pro or amateur, on any level is going to allow the athletes to run the show. For college athletes to gain some power they will need to unionize.

The powers that be won’t relinquish any power. I mean we all kind of know what goes on behind the scenes at a lot of places anyways. Getting money to players has never been an issue. It’s all about that power. 

1 hour ago, Voice of Reason said:

This is why I think high school athletes are in a safer environment than college athletes. 

College athletes at big time schools take mostly online classes anyways because there time is consumed. Justin Fields isn’t walking amongst campus with the rest of the kids at OSU. The resources available to make college athletes safe simply don’t exist at the high school level. 

2 hours ago, John Anthony said:

OSU never really flexes the power it has in the conference.  Now would be the time, problem is we have a brand new president who doesn’t start for another two weeks.  I tend to think she’s for canceling anyways.

The player lead movement has been interesting.  OSU just finished practice today.  I think the players would have to explore options against the league/NCAA to save the season.

Well at least with her it’s unknown. With good old president Drake the season would have been cancelled before Covid reached the US. 

• Like 1

The thought of no college football this year hurts me to the core. It really does.

However, I’d be absolutely fine with it if the universities in favor of canceling are also going online for all classes.

Don’t tell me you’re doing this for safety if the university intends on allowing students back in the hallways.

4 hours ago, bulldog77 said:

Heard this conversation this weekend from some folks who have quite a bit of knowledge about the inner-workings of this mess.  Just paraphrasing their explanation folks, not stating facts:  They explained that having a season without fans the schools collectively look to lose some 4 BILLION dollars in total losses and expenditures, while not playing the season they cut those losses in half strictly from just lost revenue (again I'm paraphrasing and they were just using round numbers).  The players will remain on scholarship and retain their eligibility for another year.  It sounded to me like "playing football" is the least of the university's concerns and I get that.  Those are staggering potential monetary losses if accurate. 

I have a hard time wrapping my head around these numbers.

Were the folks you know talking about football only or all sports combined ?

Are these the numbers for only power 5 teams or all conferences?

I have a hard time believing a power 5 school can’t make money on the season based on the tv revenue alone. Maybe I’m wrong?

I’ve had so many thoughts today and it’s nearly impossible for me to get them all down. But I’ll continue to claim that the reason we’re even dealing with this nonsense is due the completely inept response from people taking this seriously. If you all would have just worn a damn mask and socially distanced, we’d have a much better chance to have college football this fall. I was preaching this months ago. If you’re upset about not having college football and you didn’t act in a socially responsible way by doing what we were supposed to, look in the mirror for the face to blame. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, GrantNKY said:

I’ve had so many thoughts today and it’s nearly impossible for me to get them all down. But I’ll continue to claim that the reason we’re even dealing with this nonsense is due the completely inept response from people taking this seriously. If you all would have just worn a damn mask and socially distanced, we’d have a much better chance to have college football this fall. I was preaching this months ago. If you’re upset about not having college football and you didn’t act in a socially responsible way by doing what we were supposed to, look in the mirror for the face to blame. 

This was downplayed this from day one and got a late start addressing it, despite what we saw in other places like Italy.  Then we pulled back pretty hard in March, April and were getting things under control.  But no one wanted to give up Memorial Day, and later 4th of July and the doors started to get opened up, and that's led to where we are right now.  We were on our way to being out of the woods, but we just couldn't wait.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

This was downplayed this from day one and got a late start addressing it, despite what we saw in other places like Italy.  Then we pulled back pretty hard in March, April and were getting things under control.  But no one wanted to give up Memorial Day, and later 4th of July and the doors started to get opened up, and that's led to where we are right now.  We were on our way to being out of the woods, but we just couldn't wait.

Id give up every holiday for the next 5 years if it meant we could have college football this year. Saturdays in the fall have always been the best holidays anyways. 

1 hour ago, GrantNKY said:

41 minutes ago, rjs4470 said:

Yup.

I’m guilty of doubting this thing myself. I stated a while back that I’d wear a hazmat suit in public if it meant college football would be played.I stand by that statement...

A large portion of our population has essentially crossed their arms, laid on the ground and cried. They’ve cited their freedoms and how uncomfortable masks are. Now we are realistically looking at no college football.

Just wear the masks and maybe in a year or two things will be somewhat back to normal.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, MBWC41 said:

Yup.

I’m guilty of doubting this thing myself. I stated a while back that I’d wear a hazmat suit in public if it meant college football would be played.I stand by that statement...

A large portion of our population has essentially crossed their arms, laid on the ground and cried. They’ve cited their freedoms and how uncomfortable masks are. Now we are realistically looking at no college football.

Just wear the masks and maybe in a year or two things will be somewhat back to normal.

I’m very open to admitting I was completely wrong about this virus at first. It took me a couple weeks to see the light. The funny thing was after I saw the light, the other light at the end of the tunnel has slowly faded as we still witness people unwilling to relinquish the slightest bit of “freedom” so they can enjoy their real freedoms. They failed to realize that my “freedoms” that I really care about, I have zero control over my ability to do them. I want to get up in the morning turn head to a tailgate or lay on the couch with a bowl of cereal watching Gameday or Fox Kickoff. Crack open my first beer of the day at 10 am. Turn on the Ohio State game and complain about the fact that the Big 10 and Fox decided to always put Ohio State games at noon. I want to turn on the SEC game of the week on CBS at 3:30. I want to go meet some friends for some food around 7:00. Watch the prime time game at a bar. Close down that bar at night begging the bartender to leave the Arizona State/ Utah game on the tv at 1 am. That’s the freedom I care about. I will never, ever take that for granted again. 

• Like 2