Is coronavirus testing really important for opening America?

theguru

NEW STUDY: 4.1% of adults in Los Angeles have COVID-19 antibodies.

This means 221,000-442,000 adults in LA have been infected, which is 28-55x higher than confirmed cases.

I think at least half the population has been exposed.

I read that article as well. Makes me think that if testing had been a whole lot better we could be further along in discovering the effects of The Rona and how to find asymptomatic people quickly, if at all. If that many people are walking around with it at any given time then the death rate drops below 1% but it also will never go truly away without a vaccine. Even a vaccine will likely just slow the spread at best.

Fascinating article though.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah I can see both sides of that. I feel like we can open some things up but we have to be careful with what we open up. "Crowded" beaches, sports arenas, cruise ships, amusement parks, things like that shouldn't be opened up right away, imo. There are ways to open up a lot of businesses as well as other things though that don't hold mass amounts of people.

I know you said crowded but the beaches/parks should all be open. There is tons of science behind the positive effects of fresh air and sunshine.

I read that article as well. Makes me think that if testing had been a whole lot better we could be further along in discovering the effects of The Rona and how to find asymptomatic people quickly, if at all. If that many people are walking around with it at any given time then the death rate drops below 1% but it also will never go truly away without a vaccine. Even a vaccine will likely just slow the spread at best.

Fascinating article though.

Yup, it would be a more contagious flu, that would make the immunocompromised at high risk. Pretty much what we anticipated from the beginning. I think 3-6 months from now we have a more specific quarantine bubble.

I know you said crowded but the beaches/parks should all be open. There is tons of science behind the positive effects of fresh air and sunshine.

I can get on board with that. They should be somewhat monitored though so that people practice social distancing, otherwise it could be a disaster until we know more about this virus.

I'll say that here locally there was a girl that walked through Central Park and took a picture of the pond and fountains, then posted said picture on social media. She caught a lot of backlash from that due to the inside of the park is supposed to be closed, yet the sidewalks around the park are open for walking.

I defended her on that because she was practicing social distancing better than those walking around the park on the sidewalks. She wasn't hurting anyone or touching anything in the park, yet people that are walking around it sit on the benches along the sidewalks, walk in groups, etc. Turns out she was homeless and just wanted to take a picture of an empty area of the park while walking from point a to b.

Long story short is that the guidelines that we are living by are not reasonable at all. Beaches and parks should be open as long as people practice social distancing and stay off from playground equipment, etc. There is a mental health aspect to this that will effect some more than others. The longer they're told to stay home, inside, etc the more likely they are to have negative mental health effects from this.

Yup, it would be a more contagious flu, that would make the immunocompromised at high risk. Pretty much what we anticipated from the beginning. I think 3-6 months from now we have a more specific quarantine bubble.

I think so too. The more they can tell us the better off we all are.

NEW STUDY: 4.1% of adults in Los Angeles have COVID-19 antibodies.

This means 221,000-442,000 adults in LA have been infected, which is 28-55x higher than confirmed cases.

I think at least half the population has been exposed.

Thanks for posting this. I went and found the article.

I told my wife 10 years ago when we killed Osama bin Laden that the Chinese government was a greater threat than he was.

I still believe that...

This is our new way of life. This is the blueprint that the world needs to bring us down.

This will happen every couple years from now on. A new virus with no cure and no vaccine.

All it takes is someone smart enough to infect a couple people heading into our country and it will spread just as this one has.

911 was nothing compared to the 42000 deaths from this. It’s a lot easier this way too.

Like it or not, this is the new regular.

I thought the next world war would be centered around technology. But I think your comments here might be spot-on.

I thought the next world war would be centered around technology. But I think your comments here might be spot-on.

And if we ever get into a war with China, we better get away from being dependent on things that are manufactured there. We need to start making things here again. If it cost a bit more so be it.

Some beaches in Florida opened up last weekend, but usage was restricted to walking, running, and exercise. Also, social distancing guidelines were to be observed. No sunbathing. No gatherings.

I know in Jacksonville/Duval County, the sheriff's department was patrolling the beach and ticketing people who violated the rules set forth. In fact, they caught one guy sunbathing and when they checked his ID, they found he had an outstanding warrant for murder in Pennsylvania. :)

And if we ever get into a war with China, we better get away from being dependent on things that are manufactured there. We need to start making things here again. If it cost a bit more so be it.

I agree.

An official mentioned last week that America should pay for the ALL American companies to move out of China. I’m OK with that.

Some beaches in Florida opened up last weekend, but usage was restricted to walking, running, and exercise. Also, social distancing guidelines were to be observed. No sunbathing. No gatherings.

I know in Jacksonville/Duval County, the sheriff's department was patrolling the beach and ticketing people who violated the rules set forth. In fact, they caught one guy sunbathing and when they checked his ID, they found he had an outstanding warrant for murder in Pennsylvania. :)

That is a lesson I learned early in law enforcement, hard core criminals are everywhere. It is really scary.

And no sunbathing on the beach. :lol2:

Welcome my man.

It’s conceivable that half to possibly 2/3rds of the population will contract it right? Does that change anyone’s perspective on here?

It is definitely possible, especially considering the contagion level.

Welcome my man.

It’s conceivable that half to possibly 2/3rds of the population will contract it right? Does that change anyone’s perspective on here?

The thing I found interesting though, they figured all that by only testing about 860 people? I got an A in statistics somehow in college, but I still don't understand how they can figure what they did based on only really testing that many people.