Davion Mintz commits to Kentucky

Always interests me that a program that prides itself on having 5 or 6 of the best players in basketball coming in each year is now resorting to bringing in grad transfers that other coaches and programs have developed. Travis and Sestina weren't on UK's radar as high schoolers. Any one think the "model" could be tweaked? Maybe 3 all world guys and 2 guys that develop over four seasons? There are no trophies given for NCAA Recruiting Championships. I'm not a huge Calipari or UK fan....but I bet if he had players for four years they would be very good MATURE players.

Always interests me that a program that prides itself on having 5 or 6 of the best players in basketball coming in each year is now resorting to bringing in grad transfers that other coaches and programs have developed. Travis and Sestina weren't on UK's radar as high schoolers. Any one think the "model" could be tweaked? Maybe 3 all world guys and 2 guys that develop over four seasons? There are no trophies given for NCAA Recruiting Championships. I'm not a huge Calipari or UK fan....but I bet if he had players for four years they would be very good MATURE players.

The game is changing. The rule allowing players to free transfer one time shows that.

Calipari recruits four year players and then after one or two years they get frustrated that they arent the stars and leave. Hard to keep everyone happy.

I still think Calipari is doing a very good job. Hell, this was one of his best coaches jobs while at UK.

Very true and well stated, couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Very true and well stated, couldn’t have said it any better myself.

Talent wins. You have to go for the best talent and that means you have to get one and dones. That is just the way it is today. Even bringing in top talent doesn't mean all those players turn into top players. Look at UK this season. Out of the 6 freshmen, only Maxey was in the top of the rotation. If you say you are only going to bring in 3 top tier recruits, what if none of them meet expectations? You reduce the margin of error a lot by bringing in 5-6 top recruits. You just have to do it. You have to go for 5 or more elite top tier players every year. No way around it if you want to win titles.

Again, I want to point out UK actually was not a young team this season. Maxey was the only freshman in the top 6 minutes played.

As to players developing over four seasons, if you can make that happen that is great. I think it is even tougher to do than getting a top 5 recruiting class. I look at Duke and they had one senior in their top rotation in the past few seasons - Grayson Allen. He did not start a game as a freshman. If you can find a player to develop like that and stay till his senior year, it is unusual.

If that were the case he certainly should have better stat lines.

Solid, experienced player....yes.

An NBA prospect.....no

Somehow I missed the quote line.

I was quoting and responding to this.

I was told to think Hagans but a better shooter. Shoots like 37% from three.