Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

I'm watching  a few games from Ohio online, I really like the Refs putting down a bean bag for ball spots and the center keeping the ball after each play and placing after huddles. Seems to really speed up the game a bunch.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Brcatz said:

I'm watching  a few games from Ohio online, I really like the Refs putting down a bean bag for ball spots and the center keeping the ball after each play and placing after huddles. Seems to really speed up the game a bunch.

Great idea they have came up with.

1 hour ago, Brcatz said:

Necessity is the mother of invention. Could see rule changes for the better as a result of this. 

1 hour ago, Jaysie said:

ESPN and ESPN 2 are doing hs games last night and today. Cincinati St X plays Brownsburg IN at 6 pm Eastern time on ESPN 2 tonight.

I’ll be watching. I’m disappointed that St.X Bombers had to be dropped from St.X Tigers schedule. This should be good game. Brownsburg (IN) is good team.

• Like 1

Normally, we have a team meeting in May and we give our families the calendar for the preseason and an idea of what to expect the entire season.

Finally, August 31, I could give our families a calendar for the month of September. Things seem a little more normal right now. Feels like a huge accomplishment to go June, July & August with no stoppages. 

Hope all of our kids will be on the game field very soon!

• Like 1

Letter from KDE to KHSAA:

Following these presentations, KBE members discussed the information they heard and the Board of Control’s decision to move forward with fall sports. As a result of these conversations and on behalf of the KBE, I charge the Board of Control to immediately convene to consider action to:

1. Develop guidance for school districts on the responsibility and authority to enforce the protocols set forth in the recent KSHAA guidance document. Specifically, this new guidance should address the consequences for failure to follow KHSAA guidance, including how sports programs will be suspended or penalized for their failure to follow the guidance and ensure the safety of student athletes. Just as the rules of play are uniform and enforceable, so should be the rules for the protection of student athletes in light of COVID-19.

2. Anticipate and clarify how KHSAA guidance is likely to evolve and put forth clear and actionable guidance on how KHSAA will respond to a spike in cases at the school, district, regional and/or statewide level. If that were to happen, what kind of timely and responsible action will KHSAA take to reduce risks to student athletes?

3. Provide immediate guidance to school districts and coaches on spectator attendance at practice and competition. For example, will spectators be permitted to attend events? If so, will the number of spectators be limited? What are the requirements for temperature checks, social distancing and mask wearing for spectators if they are permitted to attend? How should concessions operate, if at all? School districts need clear guidance on these topics if they are to begin fall sports on the timeline approved by the Board of Control.

4. Develop clear guidance to school districts and coaches on how to best provide resources and mental health supports to student athletes who are unable to play due to parent choice, COVID- 19 quarantine, program suspension due to COVID-19 or other reasons.

5. Require that the risks of COVID-19 are disclosed to families and students in a manner that is easily understood, along with recommended steps for student “return to sports” following a COVID-19 diagnosis. These disclosures should clearly outline the return-to-play guidance and address medical testing concerns raised by Dr. Stack, e.g., cost and availability of pediatric cardiologists, echocardiograms, electrocardiograms and cardiac MRIs.

6. Take steps, including but not limited to instructing KHSAA to work with KDE and the Department for Public Health, to develop model COVID-19 testing protocols for student- athletes and coaches that could be replicated across the state.

7. Adopt a regular reporting schedule, not less than bi-weekly, for the Board of Control and the KBE/KDE to receive written reports from the KHSAA that summarize COVID-related issues KHSAA is dealing with (by sport, district and school) and how concerns are addressed as they arise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, NKYPrepSportsFan said:

So what does "convene to consider action to" mean in this context? Must the KHSAA do these things?

Looks like they have to have meeting to consider these items. I would say they will have to do something to satisfy KDE. I doubt they are going accept them doing nothing.

45 minutes ago, nkypete said:

How in the world is all of this going to be resolved by September 11?

I would think all of that can be done relatively quickly. If KHSAA has done their homework as they claim they have, these points shouldn’t be too difficult to do.