Will there be high school football this fall?

Tkinslow

7 hours ago, Voice of Reason said:

To any school that opts out, I feel sorry for the students that the leaders at that school say they supposedly care about.

Football and other sports are being played all across the country and in Kentucky daily workouts have been happening for weeks. Minimal problems.

What a terrible message for these students. Follow the rules. Show us you can do this and not have problems. But  all those efforts don't matter. We are going to ignore all your good work and not let you play the games you have worked so hard for.

Believe what you are seeing decision makers. Sports are already being played and things are going well. Let these young people play games.

To be fair, some places across the country are playing, and some are not. I’ve said from the beginning, there are going to be schools/districts that will opt out despite being given the ok to play. Districts have to make decisions based on what they feel is the best and safest way to proceed. There are any number of reason as to why a district would make the decision not to play. One reason could be numbers. While you are hearing the “let them play” group the loudest, there are some that think it’s crazy that football and other sports are being played right now. Not saying that’s the case with Lloyd. Whatever the case, you can’t just assume playing is the right call for every district. Each situation is unique.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rjs4470 said:

To be fair, some places across the country are playing, and some are not. I’ve said from the beginning, there are going to be schools/districts that will opt out despite being given the ok to play. Districts have to make decisions based on what they feel is the best and safest way to proceed. There are any number of reason as to why a district would make the decision not to play. One reason could be numbers. While you are hearing the “let them play” group the loudest, there are some that think it’s crazy that football and other sports are being played right now. Not saying that’s the case with Lloyd. Whatever the case, you can’t just assume playing is the right call for every district. Each situation is unique.

This. 100% this.

20 minutes ago, Tkinslow said:

If the kids have been lifting, practicing etc. the whole time with the assumption they were playing to get the rug jerked out from under them a week before the season starts doesn’t feel right to me.

Unfortunately, that could happen to any team, at anytime this season. A couple of cases of Covid could lead to anyone getting shutdown this year.

5 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

I get that, and I agree each district needs to control their programs.

Is there a CV19 outbreak in Erlanger?

Has their football team or other sports teams experienced a lot of positive tests?

Those should be the factors that matter to Erlanger Lloyd. If the athletes in their programs have been working out for months and there are no outbreaks, it is embarrassing and illogical for Erlanger to not allow their teams to play games.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

Has their football team or other sports teams experienced a lot of positive tests?

Those should be the factors that matter to Erlanger Lloyd. If the athletes in their programs have been working out for months and there are no outbreaks, it is embarrassing and illogical for Erlanger to not allow their teams to play games.

I am for playing, but don't you find it illogical that kids aren't in school but are practicing and/or playing contact sports?

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Voice of Reason said:

There are other factors that matter too.  Resources, facilities, and people to manage new policies, procedures and protocols that are now in place being a major one.  I get the frustration, and want nothing more than to play.  Ugh it’s really hard to justify putting athletics ahead of education. Where’s the logic in saying it’s ok to play, but not ok to attend school in person? It’s a tough situation, and there is no decision that’s going to please everyone. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tigerpride94 said:

No, because spreads easier indoors than outside. Why in 1918 flu some schools had school outdoors.

I don’t think there is enough data to support that yet. Regardless, an argument can be made that contact sports outdoors is more likely to spread the virus over social distancing indoors.

There is an old saying about the difference between raising a girl and boy that I feel like is a good analogy for playing sports while not in school. When you raise a boy you only have to worry about one boy. When you raise a girl you have to worry about all the boys. 

If you have a football team you only have to worry about 20-90 boys. If you go back to school you have to worry about 400-1000+ boys and girls. It’s almost safer for sports to happen while we aren’t in school than in school. 

• Like 3

8 hours ago, NKYRaider said:

I am for playing, but don't you find it illogical that kids aren't in school but are practicing and/or playing contact sports?

8 hours ago, rjs4470 said:

There are other factors that matter too.  Resources, facilities, and people to manage new policies, procedures and protocols that are now in place being a major one.  I get the frustration, and want nothing more than to play.  Ugh it’s really hard to justify putting athletics ahead of education. Where’s the logic in saying it’s ok to play, but not ok to attend school in person? It’s a tough situation, and there is no decision that’s going to please everyone. 

I think there is much more risk to everyone in attending school versus playing sports. It is much easier to manage a 60 player football team versus a 600 student indoor school. In addition I think the 60 kids playing football will be more disciplined about following rules.

• Like 4