2020 NCAA Tournament no fans in the stands

nWo

The NCAA made the unprecedented decision Wednesday to hold the men's and women's basketball tournaments without fans due to the ongoing coronavirus crisis.

"The NCAA continues to assess the impact of COVID-19 in consultation with public health officials and our COVID-19 advisory panel," NCAA president Mark Emmert said in a statement. "Based on their advice and my discussions with the NCAA Board of Governors, I have made the decision to conduct our upcoming championship events, including the Division I men's and women's basketball tournaments, with only essential staff and limited family attendance.

Coronavirus: NCAA Tournament 2

I understand that precautions must be taken but this sure is going to be a huge financial loss for the schools and NCAA.

I’m starting to wonder if the boys high school state tournament could possibly be fanless too. That’s a huge cash cow for the KHSAA. It basically funds most of their other sports programs.

I understand that precautions must be taken but this sure is going to be a huge financial loss for the schools and NCAA.

I’m starting to wonder if the boys high school state tournament could possibly be fanless too. That’s a huge cash cow for the KHSAA. It basically funds most of their other sports programs.

Someone more in the know would have to say, but I am not sure how much the schools generate from NCAA tournament games at the gate. I assumed their revenue is more so tied to the television deals, which aren't going anywhere.

I would imagine the airlines and hotels will get hurt the worst. Bars will probably do well. People want to watch these games with people.

It will hurt the hotels the most, but that's ok with me with the way they jack up their rates for a special event.

Using the same logic the NCAA Tournament almost has to be cancelled, correct?

Regardless if there is a positive test, how can the NCAA, in good conscience, go forward with any athletic event? I’m thinking this might be it.