Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

I thought it was pretty well known that masks are an added barrier to protect other people from you.

No shirts, no shoes, no mask...no service. It ain't that hard.

It will break down quick, places will take in whoever wants to spend the cash.

It really all comes down to just using common sense. Beechwoodfan made some good points above. We can go back-and-forth about why the rules were one way then and are different now. We are all just rolling with the punches here. Facts and circumstances change on an almost daily basis. The rules aren't going to look consistent all the way through this crisis. We probably should have required masks earlier when going to the grocery and other stores, but then there weren't enough masks. People have to get groceries so do you tell them not to go to the grocery for a month because we don't have enough masks? We all have to manage this on the fly the best that we can and roll with the punches.

As to wearing a mask now, it just seems like common sense logic to reduce the risk, especially now when we know there are a lot of infected people still out there and probably many that don't even know they have it. A month or two from now when new cases statewide are hopefully down to five new cases a day, the masks might not be necessary. That doesn't mean they aren't necessary now if people want to get back open right now.

My points are mainly referring to my line of work. I get wearing masks in stores and such, though why we don't need to do that tomorrow but will be required to on May 11th is a bit mind boggling though. My issue is telling me I have to work in one when its completely unnecessary. I dont have to be around d any of our customers to do my job, nor touch anything on their property, so how exactly is me wearing a mask while doing a landscaping job or mowing a lawn keeping myself or anyone else from catching the rona?

The only thing its going to do is make myself and our workers miserable as it gets warmer out. Imagine working a labor intensive job in 85-90 degree weather all day long wearing one of those things, when you aren't even near anyone to infect. Its silliness, to be honest, they can fine me for mowing grass without a mask if they want, ill fight it and likely win.

Enlighten me...

From what I've read, masks filter 2% of the air you inhale. (Again non N95)

My comment is there are scientists and doctors saying wear masks because they provide some level of protection from infection. I am not a scientist and am not doing a scientific evaluation of mask effectiveness.

My comment is there are scientists and doctors saying wear masks because they provide some level of protection from infection. I am not a scientist and am not doing a scientific evaluation of mask effectiveness.

Almost any barrier (mask in this case) is going to provide some level of protection.

I wouldn't argue that they are 100% ineffective. Like G said, there is some protection. Probably more so against droplets, definitely not against viral aerosol particles though. I'd worry that they will provide some with a false sense of security. Also nearly all data/research on the use of masks deals with protecting the wearer. Very limited to nonexistent research out there over masks being effective for filtering exhaled air.

I'd also say that I've appreciated your debate/conversation throughout this process. It's been healthy and has forced me to do far more digging and research on this topic then I otherwise would have done.

I wouldn't argue that they are 100% ineffective. Like G said, there is some protection. Probably more so against droplets, definitely not against viral aerosol particles though. I'd worry that they will provide some with a false sense of security. Also nearly all data/research on the use of masks deals with protecting the wearer. Very limited to nonexistent research out there over masks being effective for filtering exhaled air.

I'd also say that I've appreciated your debate/conversation throughout this process. It's been healthy and has forced me to do far more digging and research on this topic then I otherwise would have done.

Likewise. You add good information and perspective. I appreciate the info and the dialogue.

I know an 18 yro that has it. She was in the hospital for a time and said it was so scary to not be able to have your family there and to only have people in “hazmat” suits to interact with. She says that she wouldn’t wish the pain she has experienced on anyone. Extreme tiredness - she was exhausted after brushing her teeth.