Coronavirus

ChickenWyngz

It is a battle between selfishness and selflessness.

Selflessness is over. America just had a month in her.

Buckle up.

I’m certain the economy will come surging back once we get the full onslaught of the virus.

Very applicable. Except the death part applies to our friends, neighbors, coworkers and their families.

Liberty for me to do what I want even if it means death for you and your family.

I wonder if the order of “life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness” was intentional or random. I’m not learned enough to know for sure.

Today begins the 1st phase of reopening in Florida. The news is showing a long line outside of the Pasco County Tax Collectors office in New Port Richey, this morning. Of all the places I did not expect a crowd. I understand that is the only location Pasco opened.

Hillsborough County, where I live, opened 2 of their tax collector facilities, today, Drew Park and Brandon, but only for appointments, no walk-in business allowed.

This may prove to be a weird week.

Saw this on the news this morning.

March 1-April 16th--46 days

35,000 Total Covid-19 deaths

April 17th--May 4th (probable)--17 days

70,000 Total Covid-19 deaths

1. This was with a nationwide strict social-distancing and shutdown policies.

2. One of the popular models had a worst case scenario of 170,000 deaths by June 1;

Seems plausible looking at the above numbers.

Saw this on the news this morning.

March 1-April 16th--46 days

35,000 Total Covid-19 deaths

April 17th--May 4th (probable)--17 days

70,000 Total Covid-19 deaths

1. This was with a nationwide strict social-distancing and shutdown policies.

2. One of the popular models had a worst case scenario of 170,000 deaths by June 1;

Seems plausible looking at the above numbers.

Set aside if people think the numbers are inflated or have gone overboard with all of this... there has to be some element of truth about it. We did for a month the best version of a "shutdown" you are ever going to get in this country, and the infected/death numbers still did what they did. It didn't sink in with me until last week what the numbers would have been had we gone on as normal.

I am interested to know what the cutoff number for death acceptability would be for the "reopen everything" community? 100,000; 200,000; 6,000,0000?

Set aside if people think the numbers are inflated or have gone overboard with all of this... there has to be some element of truth about it. We did for a month the best version of a "shutdown" you are ever going to get in this country, and the infected/death numbers still did what they did. It didn't sink in with me until last week what the numbers would have been had we gone on as normal.

I am interested to know what the cutoff number for death acceptability would be for the "reopen everything" community? 100,000; 200,000; 6,000,0000?

I don't think it matters too much to the "reopen everything" community. Not unless it hits close to home. Just my opinion.

I don't think it matters too much to the "reopen everything" community. Not unless it hits close to home. Just my opinion.

To piggy-back off that, the prevailing thought is you are personally not going to be terminally harmed by this virus unless you have a serious health condition or you are old. By nature, America is made up a lot of selfish people that may see the bigger picture, but they are able to separate themselves from it until, as you note, it affects them. The only impact they are seeing is monetarily, so that is where the focus is, instead of stopping the virus.

Good thread idea. Put a poll on it. Make the poll anonymous so we see what people really think.

To piggy-back off that, the prevailing thought is you are personally not going to be terminally harmed by this virus unless you have a serious health condition or you are old. By nature, America is made up a lot of selfish people that may see the bigger picture, but they are able to separate themselves from it until, as you note, it affects them. The only impact they are seeing is monetarily, so that is where the focus is, instead of stopping the virus.

I remember when people used to say that money is the root of all evil.