NKU Makes College Free for Students from 6 NKY High Schools

MJAlltheWay24

NKU is making college free for students from 6 NKY high schools. It looks like students have to qualify for federal Pell Grant assistance in order to take advantage of this.

The major caveat, students will have to obtain 60 credits (basically half) of their degree from Gateway Community and Technical College. Essentially forcing the students to begin their collegiate career at Gateway, which I sort of think more students should probably do in general to help with student loan debt.

The six schools are Bellevue, Dayton, Newport, Holmes, Lloyd and Ludlow high schools.

Here is a link if you wanted to read more: NKU offers free tuition for some Northern Kentucky high school grads

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What ever happened to the old way, if you wanted something you had to earn it? More of our tax money just flew out the window.

Getting good grades in high school is in fact, earning it.

If you consider paying for education throwing your tax dollars away, well, that says a lot about you, IMO.

NKU is making college free for students from 6 NKY high schools. It looks like students have to qualify for federal Pell Grant assistance in order to take advantage of this.

[/url]

What ever happened to the old way, if you wanted something you had to earn it? More of our tax money just flew out the window.

Looks like they have to qualify for a Pell Grant to be able to do this. So its for ones that would struggle to pay for college without loans.

Getting good grades in high school is in fact, earning it.

If you consider paying for education throwing your tax dollars away, well, that says a lot about you, IMO.

Sorry. I always thought getting good grades is school was part of the plan, the same as performing well in the work place. If you want something bad enough there's usually a honest way to reach your goal.

Found this tidbit:

In order to qualify for Pell Grant assistance (which in this case, would be what you'd need to get free tuition through this program): Students may not be subject to any legal action, may not have history of arrests, and cannot have any convictions related to drug or sexual offenses in order to be eligible.

I'm sorry sir, I'll be sure to stay off your lawn.

Things are a lot different than they were years ago. Cost of tuition is much higher among other things. I can't imagine, ever, feeling like tax dollars paying for education as a bad thing. It will have a direct benefit on the communities and the area to have more educated adults.