NKU Makes College Free for Students from 6 NKY High Schools

MJAlltheWay24

Found this tidbit:

In order to qualify for Pell Grant assistance (which in this case, would be what you'd need to get free tuition through this program): Students may not be subject to any legal action, may not have history of arrests, and cannot have any convictions related to drug or sexual offenses in order to be eligible.

Love it. Give them the opportunity, but do not make it an absolute right. They have to earn it with behavior (and I would imagine academics once in school).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like in 2018-19, the maximum amount you could receive for a need-based Pell Grant was $6,095; however, if you also were full-time in the summer, it could go up to $9,142.

Google says in state tuition at Gateway is less than $4,500. NKU is about $9,400. For the first 2 years at Gateway Pell grant would already cover everything. Is NKU really giving these students money? How does the extra Pell grant money the first two years get handled?

Bottom line, this looks like a good publicity campaign more than a big giveaway. I am all for that publicity. These kids that are Pell grant eligible need to know they can afford college and opportunity is there for them.

Sorry. I always thought getting good grades is school was part of the plan, the same as performing well in the work place. If you want something bad enough there's usually a honest way to reach your goal.

So if someone makes good grades in high school, you don't think they deserve an academic scholarship?

Getting good grades in high school is in fact, earning it.

If you consider paying for education throwing your tax dollars away, well, that says a lot about you, IMO.

Getting good grades in HS gives you the opportunity to open the college door, not to make it free.

I'm sorry sir, I'll be sure to stay off your lawn.

Things are a lot different than they were years ago. Cost of tuition is much higher among other things. I can't imagine, ever, feeling like tax dollars paying for education as a bad thing. It will have a direct benefit on the communities and the area to have more educated adults.

How much of my taxes would you like to take care of paying?

Do you want all your tax dollars to be spent on just the things you want?

Should some of "your" tax dollars go to things that benefit the country as a whole and make this an even better country for more people?

Imagine a world where we could allocate where our tax dollars go. I'd imagine those people whose "cause" received significantly less funding would complain that the tax dollars should be spread more evenly. :lol2:

Getting good grades in HS gives you the opportunity to open the college door, not to make it free.

So if you've done well in high school, gotten good grades, and been a model citizen, it's just too bad if you were born into a family that can't afford to pay for college. That should help break the cycle of poverty.