Covington Catholic 65 Highlands 39

That’s seems like a pretty cheap comment. Don’t know what Vinson’s stats were today but he has more than proven himself. Take that talk elsewhere, these are high school athletes that we are talking about.

Well said. Kid has a D1 offer as a junior, last time I checked they don’t just throw those around. Everyone has an off day. Sam will be better because of today. Wouldn’t surprise me if he was in the gym as we speak, he’s that type of worker.

I watched the youtube video that @B-Ball-fan provided. I did not think the flagrant was that bad. It is hard to see everything clearly from the video though and I am usually very narrow-minded with what I consider to be an intentional foul.

I hope no one was hurt.

It was a very fun game to watch. Highlands did not back down, and is a very good team. CCH just had too much. I dont know how you watch this game, and dont see that Disken was the clearly the best player on the court . He locked up Vinson from start to finish, from baseline to baseline, and dominated the first half.

From an objective viewpoint of watching a home team broadcast, what is "painful" about it? And what is an "acceptable" amount of homerism?

Can’t answer the “acceptable” part of the question because at the end of the day anything I would say would be subjective, and again “painful” is hard to describe, but all I know is that personally my cringe meter goes off the charts while listening.

It was a very fun game to watch. Highlands did not back down, and is a very good team. CCH just had too much. I dont know how you watch this game, and dont see that Disken was the clearly the best player on the court . He locked up Vinson from start to finish, from baseline to baseline, and dominated the first half.

To help you understand how I didn't see that, I can only guess it is because I watched the game through an unbiased lens. I saw two very good players in Vinson and Disken. They each had good moments in the game.

To help you understand how I didn't see that, I can only guess it is because I watched the game through an unbiased lens. I saw two very good players in Vinson and Disken. They each had good moments in the game.

No doubt they each had good moments. But one scored 25 while the other scored 7. I would say the good moments were skewed pretty heavily in this game. But if your unbiased lens saw it as an even match up, so be it.

Bias is part of being a fan, but I saw CCH play straight man to man defense. Disken locked on to Vinson from the tip and made it a personal matchup, like he has several other times this season with other legit D1 kids. He set both the defensive and offensive tone of the game from tip. I say that as a fact of what I saw happen, no offense to any Highlands player. They look legit. Along with Vinson, Id take 11 and 2 on my team any day of the week. CCH is a different team when Disken is not on the floor, period. Vinson’s best moments came after Disken got his 2nd foul and they changed defense or he went to the bench. Bias or not, its what happened in the game. That said, I'd say Highlands has the best shot at upsetting CCH in the region, and will be tough next year as well.

Some interesting quotes from the Highlands head coach:

“When you get the best athletes on both sides of the river you can do a whole lot of things defensively,” Highlands coach Kevin Listerman said of CovCath, the top-ranked team in Northern Kentucky since the beginning of the season.

“They rotate 10 (players), about the same as anybody else,” Listerman added. “They’ve just got good size coming off the bench that makes it difficult. We had some shots inside and just didn’t finish.”

That’s seems like a pretty cheap comment. Don’t know what Vinson’s stats were today but he has more than proven himself. Take that talk elsewhere, these are high school athletes that we are talking about.

Honestly, I like the Vinson kid as a player. It just gets old when tunnel vison fans keep telling you how great one player is thought to be, CCH put the clamps on him. Just speaking my thoughts.

“When you get the best athletes on both sides of the river you can do a whole lot of things defensively,” Highlands coach Kevin Listerman said of CovCath, the top-ranked team in Northern Kentucky since the beginning of the season.

“They rotate 10 (players), about the same as anybody else,” Listerman added. “They’ve just got good size coming off the bench that makes it difficult. We had some shots inside and just didn’t finish.”

:popcorn:

He’s not wrong.

Go to around the 1:35:15 mark on the youtube video, and repeatedly watch how the body contact on the play takes place. It's near the 5:03 mark of the 4th quarter. The way the CovCath announcers conveyed it following the play is a load of :poop:

[video=youtube;uiGPNS-zces]

At the mark of this play, you can even see the referee put his hands up when Ahlfeld gets bumped away as if to say, "That's a flop, nothing to see here."

Could the situation have been avoided had Chandler just walked away and not done anything? Certainly, and it sounded like the broadcast clarified that pretty well. But from the actual contact, a small shoulder-bump from Starks wouldn't have warranted that reaction from Hunter, who's a very strong football player himself.