Covington Catholic 65 Highlands 39

Why not Cov Cath? It is a great school and offers all that those 2 schools do...maybe it is actually closer to to your home than those other schools...maybe it is just the right fit for that child. Isn’t that what it is ultimately about? As parents don’t we just want our kids to be in a highschool that they can be happy, get a good education and grow...and if the basketball program is solid it’s an added bonus. I understand Ohio has different rules...take that up with Ohio Athletic Association. No one is breaking any rules by driving over a bridge into KY to attend a good, private highschool.

Out of curiosity, do the people in Louisville have an issue with kids from Indiana attending their private schools?

As someone from NKY resident who's living in Louisville for the time being, I can tell you that there's a decent amount of heartburn from the folks in public schools about out-of-state kids competing on teams at private schools in Louisville, yeah. It kind of just "is what it is".

For what it's worth, though, I think you're spot on with everything you said in your first paragraph.

Sour grapes over what?

Over a graduate from the school you support showing support for your rival school and referring to your rival as "we" and "us" while calling his alma mater "they" and "them".

I'll be honest, it feels kind of weird seeing folks like Kevin and Arlo coaching against Cov Cath sometimes, so I don't feel like it's unreasonable to be taken aback a little the first time you hear someone like that calling a different school "we"....but like @Bluesport said, Dan had two brothers who went to Cov Cath, and his kids were/are Cov Cath students. I think it's totally understandable.

My buddy coached Starks in AAU basketball, I know for a fact that he recently turned 15. After three years of Camp Fredrick he’s going to be more than anyone can handle. They say he is even better in football!

Edited by feelingit
Clarify

My buddy coached Starks in AAU basketball, I know for a fact that he recently turned 15. After three years of Camp Fredrick he’s going to be more than anyone can handle. They say he is even better in football!

When I first saw him I was surprised. He is built more like a football player than basketball player.

I have asked this before, but never got a serious answer. So when do the ‘locals’ say enough is enough and the bus from Ohio stops running to Park Hills?

I know it was always an issue at Highlands for those families who had their kids grow up there only to see them moved out of way for an out of district kid.

I do not think it is a fair comparison. Private Schools do not have a "district." Anyone can apply, pay tuition, and attend a private school. There really is no such thing as a "feeder school" that way is it used for a public school district.

A kid can go to Villa Madonna or River Ride K-6/8 and then decide to go to NewCath just because they like the view or like the coach.

I do not think it is a fair comparison. Private Schools do not have a "district." Anyone can apply, pay tuition, and attend a private school. There really is no such thing as a "feeder school" that way is it used for a public school district.

A kid can go to Villa Madonna or River Ride K-6/8 and then decide to go to NewCath just because they like the view or like the coach.

Most public schools are the same. In KY, anyone can go to any high school they want - public or private.

Most public schools are the same. In KY, anyone can go to any high school they want - public or private.

I live in Florence, I'm pretty sure I can't enroll my son in Walton. I can't even enroll him in Ockerman which is almost closer to my house. He has to go to Yealley.

Unless I buy a house in Fort Thomas, he can't go to Highlands. But I can stay in the same house and send him to St. Henry or St. Pats. All I have to do is apply, pay tuition, and he has to be accepted.

There is no "school district" for those schools.

But hey... sounds like it was a good game.

I live in Florence, I'm pretty sure I can't enroll my son in Walton. I can't even enroll him in Ockerman which is almost closer to my house. He has to go to Yealley.

That is because Boone Co put in their own restrictions. There is no state rule against sending your son to Walton, Highlands or anywhere else.

That is because Boone Co put in their own restrictions. There is no state rule against sending your son to Walton, Highlands or anywhere else.

Sorry you don't like my post @PP1 but it is true. And you definitely can send your son to a public school in Kenton County. I know many Boone Co. residents with kids at public schools in other counties.

Fair question. There has certainly been some water cooler talk. This year mostly. As you can imagine, it’s especially prevelant amongst parents of good basketball players from the traditional feeder schools.

Starting 5 - as best I know:

Disken - Blessed Sacrament

Sommerkamp - St. Pius

Green - St. Agnes

Stocks - Cincinnati (IHM?)

Starks - Cincinnati

Starks is a Freshman, but I have no idea how old he is.

The only reason Summerkamp is because their 7 footer is sick.

We do live in a Tri-State area! You can live in 1 state and work in another. You can live in 1 state and go to school in another...what’s the problem? It is interesting to me that the all girl/boy schools in Cincinnati are proud of all the zip codes their students come from and from what I am reading it’s a sore subject in NKY...I don’t get it.

The problem I have is if you live in KY you can’t play HS sports in Ohio.