Covington Catholic 65 Highlands 39

I was watching the broadcast and thought, wow that was intentional. Just don’t understand what the need for it was when your up by 25pts. Hunter is a big guy, you have to hit that kid with some force to push him like that. Would be great to see these two teams in a Regional Final.

Who in the region has players that can attack the rim against CCH? That is the team that has a chance to beat CCH. You have to go right at them inside. Get to the foul line and hit free throws.

Go to around the 1:35:15 mark on the youtube video, and repeatedly watch how the body contact on the play takes place. It's near the 5:03 mark of the 4th quarter. The way the CovCath announcers conveyed it following the play is a load of :poop:

[video=youtube;uiGPNS-zces]

Agreed 100%. Dan Shields is a Highlands grad and says ‘we’ for CovCath. Not as bad as the chicken you know what call on the intentional foul. WEAK

Agreed 100%. Dan Shields is a Highlands grad and says ‘we’ for CovCath. Not as bad as the chicken you know what call on the intentional foul. WEAK

I watched that flagrant foul a couple times in replay and it was the right call. The Highlands player caught Green around the head as Green was going for the rim. Pull it up in the linked video and use the space bar to freeze frame it.

Teams in NKY seem to be afraid to drive inside on them. Lose that fear and the game may be tighter for them. I agree, which team will decide to do that? Guess we will find out in a few weeks.

Or they’re being forced away and it’s difficult on teams to get the ball inside there. Just a guess, that’s always the number 1 goal of a defense. No way it’s because teams are scared, getting to the paint is a basic part of all offenses and teams are trying to get there all throughout the game!

Sure I understand that a certain amount of homerism is acceptable considering that it's a CovCath broadcast, but for me it's terribly painful to listen to, and I even went to CovCath.

From an objective viewpoint of watching a home team broadcast, what is "painful" about it? And what is an "acceptable" amount of homerism?

The Colonels have a very disciplined team. Their defense is aggressive. The 5:15 mark? the 1:40 mark, really does it matter? This team does not pull their foot off the gas pedal. There is no superstar..not "one player'....and that is why they win. They want to win..they want to beat you. It is difficult to take the competitiveness from a very good player no matter what time the clock says.

Disken, Green...been playing Varsity for a couple years now. I think Highlands has a very good team, but not the experience nor all the pieces Cov Cath has. The double team they did on Vinson when the pick was set....brilliant coaching.

Or they’re being forced away and it’s difficult on teams to get the ball inside there. Just a guess, that’s always the number 1 goal of a defense. No way it’s because teams are scared, getting to the paint is a basic part of all offenses and teams are trying to get there all throughout the game!

No way teams can be scared? Sure they can. If a team is getting into the paint and is getting blocked or not getting clean looks, you are going to stop going into the paint. You are going to settle for mid-range jump shots and 3’s. I agree their defense is forcing them out but teams on all levels will start settling for outside shots if the inside game is not there.

I agree with you. Starks purposely walked over and subtly, but strongly, shoved the Highlands player with his one arm. Starks is a strong dude. No flopping on that.

Didn't watch the broadcast. I'm suprised they called that a flop because they are usually not that unreasonable for home team announcers imo. Love the guy but I don't know what got into Starts late in the game. Why ruin the victory with that kind of stuff? Other than that, great win.

I watched that flagrant foul a couple times in replay and it was the right call. The Highlands player caught Green around the head as Green was going for the rim. Pull it up in the linked video and use the space bar to freeze frame it.

If defender is attempting to block the ball, then I disagree. However, allow that call to stand and make the same call against Starks for his first shove, not the second one.

If defender is attempting to block the ball, then I disagree. However, allow that call to stand and make the same call against Starks for his first shove, not the second one.

I think if you get a player around the neck/head, it is going to be flagrant. It doesn't matter if you are going for the ball or not.

No way teams can be scared? Sure they can. If a team is getting into the paint and is getting blocked or not getting clean looks, you are going to stop going into the paint. You are going to settle for mid-range jump shots and 3’s. I agree their defense is forcing them out but teams on all levels will start settling for outside shots if the inside game is not there.

Yeah teams can become scared, but that’s because the Colonels forced that upon them. I don’t think teams are coming into the game scared, it’s just a disciplined pressured defense that is gonna make you do what they want. Maybe it came off wrong saying no way they can be scared, they can be but let’s give the Colonels defense credit. That’s called forcing your will on someone, they are very psychical and it takes teams right out of their game. Fouls were 8-2 at one point in the 2nd half, defense will only get better when you have a 7 ft. eraser at the rim!