Covington Catholic 65 Highlands 39

I could be wrong, but I can't recall hearing that done during the normal pregame intros at Cov Cath in the last 15 or 20 years, with the exception of senior night.

JOAT is correct. For the last several years, they’ve been announcing parishes. Now, they announce the “column” the boys are in. CCH has adopted a column system, similar to the house system at Moeller and I believe, Trinity. I don’t know all of the particulars, but that’s what they announce now.

Dan Shields is a Highlands grad and says ‘we’ for CovCath.

I just don't see the issue here, aside from possibly some sour grapes.

Do you have a problem with Kevin Listerman (CCH '95) saying "we" for Highlands? Did you have a problem with Ken Shields (CCH '60) saying "we" for Highlands? Should no parent ever be able to refer to the teams for their kid's school as "we" if they didn't graduate from the same school? So I guess no mother of a Cov Cath student or father of a Notre Dame Academy student ever has the right to call their kid's team "we" or "us"?

JOAT is correct. For the last several years, they’ve been announcing parishes. Now, they announce the “column” the boys are in. CCH has adopted a column system, similar to the house system at Moeller and I believe, Trinity. I don’t know all of the particulars, but that’s what they announce now.

Fair enough. Goodness knows I don't make nearly as many basketball games as I do football games at Cov Cath :lol2:

The vast majority of the games I've caught in the last 6 or so years have definitely been via Cov Cath's online broadcast, and both the Colonel Athletic Network broadcast and the precursing Cov Cath Internet Radio broadcast generally pauses the broadcast for the prayer/National Anthem/pregame intro. I guess I hadn't taken notice when I was there in person.

In the Covington Catholic 65 Highlands 39 game thread, I'm talking about this game obviously.

The original post I responded to said best player on the court which I took that to refer to not just this game but best player. Player of the game Disken.

Green also had an excellent game for CCH.

We do live in a Tri-State area! You can live in 1 state and work in another. You can live in 1 state and go to school in another...what’s the problem? It is interesting to me that the all girl/boy schools in Cincinnati are proud of all the zip codes their students come from and from what I am reading it’s a sore subject in NKY...I don’t get it.

• Like 1

I just don't get the criticism of the Cov Cath broadcast crew. I've always felt like Fritschner did an awesome job, personally. He's been doing announcing work for the Big East and Xavier too, so it's not like he's any kind of schmuck. I guess I get it there's a little bit of homerism in Fritschner's & Shields' game calling. I think homerism is to be expected in a broadcast like this one, and I'll be honest, I like hearing any game called when I'm getting to root for "my team" along with the broadcasters.

I guess there are just some people who don't love the way certain announcers call a game, and that just kind of is what it is. There's that famous saying about opinions. Some folks didn't like Harry Carey's game calling, or Keith Jackson's, or John Madden's, or Marty Brennaman's...other folks loved them. Oh well.

We do live in a Tri-State area! You can live in 1 state and work in another. You can live in 1 state and go to school in another...what’s the problem? It is interesting to me that the all girl/boy schools in Cincinnati are proud of all the zip codes their students come from and from what I am reading it’s a sore subject in NKY...I don’t get it.

Coming out with a solid first post...I dig it.

Welcome to BluegrassPreps @EHS.

You cannot live in Kentucky or Indiana and compete in Ohio athletics.

Question, if you are such a good basketball player and live in Ohio, why not Moeller? Or St Xavier?

I just don't see the issue here, aside from possibly some sour grapes.

Do you have a problem with Kevin Listerman (CCH '95) saying "we" for Highlands? Did you have a problem with Ken Shields (CCH '60) saying "we" for Highlands? Should no parent ever be able to refer to the teams for their kid's school as "we" if they didn't graduate from the same school? So I guess no mother of a Cov Cath student or father of a Notre Dame Academy student ever has the right to call their kid's team "we" or "us"?

Sour grapes over what?

Welcome to BGP @EHS

CovCath has but five feeder schools, however, they have a total of 50 grade schools represented among the student body. That’s a mere 10%, while the basketball team’s starting five amount to 60% coming from feeder schools. It’s not just basketball and football that’s attracting so many non-feeders, it’s the stellar academics, facility, activities, etc.

As for the game, Highlands was the top scoring team in the state prior to Saturday’s game at 82 PPG. The Colonels held them to 39, less than half their average. Wow! This speaks volumes about Highlands’ schedule. I think a lot of Coach Listermann, however, I don’t understand why he doesn’t schedule tougher teams. It’s no way to prepare your team for tough opponents or tournament time. Vinson is one hell of a player, but IMO would be an even better player and better prepared for college hoops if he were averaging 15-20 and playing a tougher opponents.

CovCath has but five feeder schools, however, they have a total of 50 grade schools represented among the student body. That’s a mere 10%, while the basketball team’s starting five amount to 60% coming from feeder schools. It’s not just basketball and football that’s attracting so many non-feeders, it’s the stellar academics, facility, activities, etc.

As for the game, Highlands was the top scoring team in the state prior to Saturday’s game at 82 PPG. The Colonels held them to 39, less than half their average. Wow! This speaks volumes about Highlands’ schedule. I think a lot of Coach Listermann, however, I don’t understand why he doesn’t schedule tougher teams. It’s no way to prepare your team for tough opponents or tournament time. Vinson is one hell of a player, but IMO would be an even better player and better prepared for college hoops if he were averaging 15-20 and playing a tougher opponents.

They already have one prep school on their schedule, how many more should the Birds add?!?

Why not Cov Cath? It is a great school and offers all that those 2 schools do...maybe it is actually closer to to your home than those other schools...maybe it is just the right fit for that child. Isn’t that what it is ultimately about? As parents don’t we just want our kids to be in a highschool that they can be happy, get a good education and grow...and if the basketball program is solid it’s an added bonus. I understand Ohio has different rules...take that up with Ohio Athletic Association. No one is breaking any rules by driving over a bridge into KY to attend a good, private highschool.

Out of curiosity, do the people in Louisville have an issue with kids from Indiana attending their private schools?

• Like 1