Retiring

dshoe40

Thinking about retiring this coming August, anyone out there that has retired?

How do you like it?

Do you miss working?

To much spare time, bored?

I've been working since I was 14, and to be honest retiring for me is a little scary.

Getting different opinions from the people I talked to.

Only 20 more years for this guy.... you lucky dog!

I will have my time in at my current job at 49 years old. I have always told my wife I will retire at that age as long as we can make it work financially. My opinion is that I can always go back to work, volunteer, etc, if I get bored but I've earned my time and I'm going to see how long it takes to make fishing and golf boring.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do.

I am also thinking about retiring at the end of this year. When you are young, it seems like a slam dunk “can’t wait to retire,” but the actual decision is a hard one. I have worked in the same profession for 42 years and and good at what I do (modestly speaking). It has been a part of me 2/3 of my life. I want to retire, but it is like giving up a big part of who I am. Plus, it is admitting that I might be getting old.

On the other hand, my retired friends tell me I am nuts. They love it.

One observation I have made is that everyone I have worked with who has retired, looked 10 years younger 6 months after they retired.

What are we waiting for?

I am a year and a half away from retiring. Looking forward to it, but I will still do something part time to keep having a reason to wake up in the morning. I’ve seen to many completely quit and then not live to long afterwards.

I retired from my full time job some years ago and took my pension. Months later I was so bored I started to volunteer at the place from where I retired. Then 10 months later they offered me to come back part-time (different job) and I took it. Unless your wife or husband is retired and you both have a boat load of money to travel, you'll need something to do. My health took a turn for the worse and the extra money has come in handy. When I left full-time, I did not miss the job so much as I did most of my co-workers. I missed the interaction.

Retired at 55 after 37 years at same job at Duke energy, I should say semi retired I guess. I work at cvg 20 hours a week, announce basketball and Coach High School softball, I enjoy all 3 of those things, as long as I can stay healthy I hope to,keep doing what I'm doing, I also believe you can't just stop doing everything, I also have time for vacations and fishing. Best of luck on your decision.

I retired 14 years ago when I was 51 haven’t regretted it at all. I work 2 and sometimes 3 days a week at our golf course in the summer and 1 day a week in the winter if the weather permits, and play a lot of golf. I watch sports and the news on TV, and watch our local high school team play basketball during their season. Not bored one bit.

As Jimmy Johnson says in his "Football Life" segment you realize you need to look at QTL - Quality Time Left when reach the "retirement age".

I was involuntarily retired by my former employer last year. But not ready to hang it up yet and rolled into similar role at a different company. Was at a kickoff on the west coast this past week and did some sailing in San Diego bay as part of the event. Had never sailed before. But there was something about moving about on the water without a motor engine. The thought of that QTL kicked in for sure.

Get that plan as mentioned above and figure out what to do with that QTL.

Article quoting JJ on QTL:

Jimmy Johnson having the time of his life - Sun Sentinel