Evansville 67 Kentucky 64

16thBBall Fan

Your right the proof is in the pudding. He has made two more final fours without the superstars you said. He also has made the finals without a superstar as you say in 2014. Then last second shots away from 2 more final fours without superstars. Doing this in one of the hardest tournaments in all of sports to win, since it is a one and out tournament. In both 2011 and 2014 they beat teams with more talent than them to get to the final four and finals. So you are right the proof is in the pudding. He hasn't needed superstars to win. In fact his 2011 and 2014 teams without the true superstars as you said, actually did better or equal to teams that did have the stars like 2010 and 2015. So yeah basically kills your argument.

We’re not here for second, third, or fourth place. This is Kentucky. That kinda mindset leads to the mediocrity that Tubby brought us too, but hey he was a nice guy.

Wake me up when he wins one without Davis, but to your point, yes, he’s found ways to lose titles with superstars like Wall, Cousins, Towns and Booker.

At what point does 1 title in 15 tries turn into an outlier?

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We’re not here for second, third, or fourth place. This is Kentucky. That kinda mindset leads to the mediocrity that Tubby brought us too, but hey he was a nice guy.

Wake me up when he wins one without Davis, but to your point, yes, he’s found ways to lose titles with superstars like Wall, Cousins, Towns and Booker.

My question is do you think almost every hall of fame coach ever was true superstar dependent then in terms of winning national titles?

I second this. Well put.

All I hear every single year is that the expectation at Kentucky is to win a national title.

Nobody remembers you for an Elite 8. Nobody remembers you for a Final Four.

You’re at Kentucky, and the expectation is set from tip off on the opening night. It is what it is.

I second this. Well put.

All I hear every single year is that the expectation at Kentucky is to win a national title.

You’re at Kentucky, and the expectation is set from tip off on the opening night. It is what it is.

I’m an irrational spoiled UK fan as well. Not everyone is gonna be as hardcore as others. Some people are more casual, who just want to enjoy the game and we’ll go get ‘em next time.

It’s been a great run under Cal we have a title with the best player in school history. He’s also left a ton on the table, none of this is debatable.

It is, what it is. This is life at UK, that’s why you get paid 9 million dollars a year to do it. Thank God we got Davis and got that 1 title, or else the other irrational fans would be more vocal

We’re also talking titles in a thread where we lost to a mid major in Rupp. Would this equate to Alabama losing to Western Carolina in football in a few weeks?

Would this equate to Alabama losing to Western Carolina in football in a few weeks?

No, come on now. I am not saying Evansville is a world beater Missouri Valley team, but Western Carolina is a low tier FCS school. Alabama losing at home to Western Kentucky would be a better comparison.

Alabama losing to Western Carolina would be way worse. It would knock them out of the playoffs. In the long run, UK losing to Evansville has no bearing on whether or not they can have a successful season or win a championship. At most it it could lower their seed in the tournament.

I second this. Well put.

So I guess people should look at every coach basically in UK history besides maybe Rupp as a failure. Since they all basically failed every year besides one year in most of their time as UKs coach?

So I guess people should look at every coach basically in UK history besides maybe Rupp as a failure. Since they all basically failed every year besides one year in most of their time as UKs coach?

Good point. Only Rupp has multiple titles.

In Cal’s Run the only teams I would say were clear cut best in the country were 2010, 2015.

Since Cal has been here 7 teams have won a National Championship. UNC, Duke, UConn, & Nova have won twice and UK, U of L, and Virginia have each won once. Would you be happy had Kentucky won just 1 more national championship during Cal's tenure, or are you expectations a little off? Is there a coach out there that you think is doing a good job?

Respectfully, that standard is set by fans and administration. I’m not going to sit here and bash Cal repetitively. I will say that every year it’s the same spill, “these kids were playing in high school four months ago”, and while true... if it’s the same story for losses every year that means there is no urgency to change.

For the majority of the Cal era, Kentucky basketball crowns themselves every year before the season. They have loads to be excited about, sure, but it’s not going to always be about who is more talented than who.

I’m sure Kentucky will win big games this year, and this game will be an after thought. Just keep in mind that these are the type of losses you deal with at the University of Kentucky when the foundation of every team is based on freshman talent.

The way Kentucky loses, not so much who they lose to, is what shouldn’t surprise anyone anymore.

Respectfully, that standard is set by fans and administration. I’m not going to sit here and bash Cal repetitively. I will say that every year it’s the same spill, “these kids were playing in high school four months ago”, and while true... if it’s the same story for losses every year that means there is no urgency to change.

For the majority of the Cal era, Kentucky basketball crowns themselves every year before the season. They have loads to be excited about, sure, but it’s not going to always be about who is more talented than who.

I’m sure Kentucky will win big games this year, and this game will be an after thought. Just keep in mind that these are the type of losses you deal with at the University of Kentucky when the foundation of every team is based on freshman talent.

The way Kentucky loses, not so much who they lose to, is what shouldn’t surprise anyone anymore.

Does Kentucky Basketball crown themself every year or do the fans and the media? You said it accurately in your first paragraph. The fans. Administration just promotes the program, as they should. Fans and media set expectation.

When Cal hangs it up. We will never have it this good again.

Does Kentucky Basketball crown themself every year or do the fans and the media? You said it accurately in your first paragraph. The fans. Administration just promotes the program, as they should. Fans and media set expectation.

When Cal hangs it up. We will never have it this good again.

I will agree with that last line.