Evansville 67 Kentucky 64

16thBBall Fan

I can certainly tell you with all the confidence in the world that UK will NOT be in the championship game this year.

I like our three guards, but I don't think they shoot well enough from the outside and our 7 footer isn't a strong enough inside presence.

Unfortunately I think their ceiling might be an Elite 8, but we shall see.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can certainly tell you with all the confidence in the world that UK will NOT be in the championship game this year.

Welcome back man! I was worried about you, I knew you be back after they lost a game though. However, considering the team has gone further than you thought the last two seasons, I don't think we can really go off what you say. Welcome back though man.

I like our three guards, but I don't think they shoot well enough from the outside and our 7 footer isn't a strong enough inside presence.

Unfortunately I think their ceiling might be an Elite 8, but we shall see.

Quite honestly I think it is way to early for people to try to determine how far this team will go. One thing we know with Cal is how the team looks now, is not how it will look come end of February.

I think this year for the first time the team is more ahead defensively than offensively. In the past Cal always said he really never taught much defense until Christmas break. I have a feeling he did work on that more with this group, but now the offense really isn't in much sync and not much identity.

If a game occurs on the SEC Network, did it really exist? :) Luckily I was working and didn't get the pleasure of watching.

Coming out of last week's Michigan State game, fans were excited; but, I never got the sense there was a rush to think this team was going on some kind of world beating domination tour. We were resigned to the fact they would ascend to #1 by default.

Point being, obviously it is a shock they lost. And embarrassing. Even though a point spread says it was one of the larger upsets in history, this doesn't approach the more shocking things or upsets seen in sports from my vantage. I think much of that is because I didn't come out of last week feeling over-enthused about the team. I liked (and still do) like the defensive potential, but the game against Michigan State left a lot to be desired.

If a game occurs on the SEC Network, did it really exist? :) Luckily I was working and didn't get the pleasure of watching.

Coming out of last week's Michigan State game, fans were excited; but, I never got the sense there was a rush to think this team was going on some kind of world beating domination tour. We were resigned to the fact they would ascend to #1 by default.

Point being, obviously it is a shock they lost. And embarrassing. Even though a point spread says it was one of the larger upsets in history, this doesn't approach the more shocking things or upsets seen in sports from my vantage. I think much of that is because I didn't come out of last week feeling over-enthused about the team. I liked (and still do) like the defensive potential, but the game against Michigan State left a lot to be desired.

This. It was a bad loss, but not on a historical level like Bob Morris in the NIT.

This. It was a bad loss, but not on a historical level like Bob Morris in the NIT.

That one I never thought of being an upset. That whole season I was just upset. :lol2: For context, Bob Morris at least won their conference, were playing at home, and UK was in the NIT, not a top seed in the NCAA tournament.

This wasn't UVA losing to UMBC or Chaminade, I don't care what point spreads say.

Out rebounded, 38 to 35. And a terrible night shooting the ball, 37%. That's going to lose a lot of games.

Cats got caught thinking that the Kentucky logo on their uniforms would win this one for themselves. Back to the real world...

The rebounding issue arose when 6 foot nothing Jake Ohmer and his Georgetown Tigers outboarded the Cats, although chalked up as an exhibition game.

Quite honestly I think it is way to early for people to try to determine how far this team will go. One thing we know with Cal is how the team looks now, is not how it will look come end of February.

I think this year for the first time the team is more ahead defensively than offensively. In the past Cal always said he really never taught much defense until Christmas break. I have a feeling he did work on that more with this group, but now the offense really isn't in much sync and not much identity.

I completely agree with you, but if I had to put money down, I'd say they make it to the second weekend and that might be it. I just don't know if they are going to shoot well enough from the outside and don't see that improving a ton. Their offense will get better and hopefully their inside game as well, but I just don't think they'll improve much from deep. There defense could win them a lot of games though.

A. 2nd biggest loss in College Hoops based on the line at tip-off, only falling behind UK losing to Gardner Webb (2007 maybe?).

B. I think there are WAY more positives coming out of that game for Cal than there are negatives:

1. It is a GREAT win for the career of Walter McCarty

2. He has their FULLY attention and can schedule his early practices and extra-challenging training sessions.

3. This game, in the grand scheme of things, outside of a "little" impact on seeding perhaps, means NOTHING.

C. UK will be fine.