The NBA is reportedly considering dropping the term "owner".

It doesn't affect me personally, but that doesn't mean I think it shouldn't affect other people.

As much as you refuse to believe, I'm just as adamant in believing that there are owners who legitimately think they own the players. Especially behind closed doors.

Well then I wish we could expose them and get them out of the league. There ain’t no place for that crap in this world.

If dropping the term owner, lessens their twisted grip, then let’s get rid of it. The word to me is just a word, if we have owners who believe it thats the problem.

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would this be the place to discuss the draft combine? The draft itself? The fantasy drafts? The increasing popularity of “auction” drafts in fantasy sports? The idea of bidding on athletes in free agency? Trades where players are frequently said to have been “shipped” to other cities/teams? The structures of some of those trades with people, future-people, and cash considerations?

Does the aforementioned gas station owner have those aspects?

I don’t care what you call the people with all the money, but I don’t think you can debate that the structure of pro sports has roots in slavery, largely because the beginnings of them is in a post-Civil War, pre-Civil rights era.

Would this be the place to discuss the draft combine? The draft itself? The fantasy drafts? The increasing popularity of “auction” drafts in fantasy sports? The idea of bidding on athletes in free agency? Trades where players are frequently said to have been “shipped” to other cities/teams? The structures of some of those trades with people, future-people, and cash considerations?

Does the aforementioned gas station owner have those aspects?

I don’t care what you call the people with all the money, but I don’t think you can debate that the structure of pro sports has roots in slavery, largely because the beginnings of them is in a post-Civil War, pre-Civil rights era.

The gas station owner is legally barred from the sort of collusion that goes on in American professional sports, in which the competitive business aspects are reduced to nearly non-existent.

And don't get me started on how awful drafts are. They're just the worst sort of nonsense.

But I'd push back at least a bit on some of the other stuff in that, when a lot of these practices were getting off the ground, owners wouldn't even let black players into the game.

The gas station owner is legally barred from the sort of collusion that goes on in American professional sports, in which the competitive business aspects are reduced to nearly non-existent.

And don't get me started on how awful drafts are. They're just the worst sort of nonsense.

But I'd push back at least a bit on some of the other stuff in that, when a lot of these practices were getting off the ground, owners wouldn't even let black players into the game.

So business practices developed from slavery don’t apply because only white people were allowed to play professional sports? Am I reading into your rebuttal wrong or is that what you are implying?

I don't care what they do. I have my opinion, but in the grand scheme of things, no one else cares about my opinion.

Nothing the NBA does affects me. I haven't watched a game all year and don't plan on changing that because of this decision.

So business practices developed from slavery don’t apply because only white people were allowed to play professional sports? Am I reading into your rebuttal wrong or is that what you are implying?

I’m honestly not implying anything. I’ve truthfully never made the connection between the development of pro sports and their birth in an era before the Civil Rights movement as making the structure inherently racist. It’s just not something I’m familiar with.

In fact, my understanding has been that increased professionalization is how black athletes were increasingly excluded from major American sports because the idea of paying them and having them receive accolades and glory alongside white players was repugnant to the powers that be. I’d heard that was why all the black jockeys disappeared from horse racing and the earliest black players in baseball dwindled away to zero by the beginning of the 20th century.

I’d actually be curious to know more about it. You’d be hard pressed to find someone who hates the structure of American sports more than I do and I have NO DOUBT that racist attitudes still pervade the halls of wealth and power in this country. And so if there’s a direct line to be drawn between chattel slavery and where we are now, I want to be taught.

Last night during Game 3 of the NBA Finals Kyle Lowry was chasing a loose ball and dove into the crowd to try and save the ball. When getting up he was pushed by a man who was sitting 2-3 seats away and that man was made to leave the game. Turns out that man is a minority owner of the Golden State Warriors.

Can’t make this stuff up, folks.

Last night during Game 3 of the NBA Finals Kyle Lowry was chasing a loose ball and dove into the crowd to try and save the ball. When getting up he was pushed by a man who was sitting 2-3 seats away and that man was made to leave the game. Turns out that man is a minority owner of the Golden State Warriors.

Can’t make this stuff up, folks.

That kind of behavior should be grounds for dismissal from anything official in the NBA.

This is the part that cracks me up. This is a tax free, non financial solution to what some feel is an issue that hurts absolutely no one if they make the change. No one’s rights are violated. No one loses anything at all. But it’s a problem.

This is where I stand as well.

I do think it’s silly but it has zero impact on me or anyone else on this site.

Wake me up when someone files a lawsuit or starts protesting. I just can’t get worked up over a suggestion.

The ironic thing about this situation is that it is the NBA having this discussion and not the NFL. I think the NFL owners treat their players much more like "interchangeable drill bits" than NBA owners do. I think the relationship between NBA owners and NBA players is much better than between NFL owners and NFL players. The NBA seems to be much more of a partnership between owners and players than the NFL does. Maybe that is why the NBA is even considering this. If this gets traction, do NFL and MLB "owners" follow suit?

The ironic thing about this situation is that it is the NBA having this discussion and not the NFL. I think the NFL owners treat their players much more like "interchangeable drill bits" than NBA owners do. I think the relationship between NBA owners and NBA players is much better than between NFL owners and NFL players. The NBA seems to be much more of a partnership between owners and players than the NFL does. Maybe that is why the NBA is even considering this. If this gets traction, do NFL and MLB "owners" follow suit?

If it gets traction I would be surprised if any other leagues did it. Adam Silver has proven to be a commissioner who cares about the owners, players, fans and the brand. IMO that is a rare combo. I don’t feel like the other commissioners care about anything other than the owner’s interests.

And I definitely agree that the NFL and its owners seem to take being an owner more to heart than anyone else.