Faking a Hate Crime? What Should Happen to Jussie Smollett?

UKMustangFan

And as far as media coverage shouldn’t that go both ways? There were plenty of media personalities saying that he staged the whole thing as soon as the cops said they couldn’t find video of the attack. Do those media members get a pass because it appears they were right? Aren’t they jumping the gun also since Jussie hasn’t been charged with anything?

Do those media members get a pass because it appears they were right?

No way.

And it still hasn't been proven he staged it, right? I mean, it appears that way & it's probably how it went down, but we're still not certain.

Regardless of how this turns out, there will be people with egg on their faces--media & non media alike.

Eghhh...I hear what you're saying here. But I think part of this, which is what makes everything such a tricky situation, is the fact that we as a society expect our news to be as late breaking as possible. This is almost a month after the fact that we're now learning this is appearing to have been staged. Do we want to get all of our news a month after the fact once everyone has the chance to investigate every little detail and make sure it's legit? Not in reality. The media's big catch 22 is having the responsible to get us our news in a timely fashion while still having the responsibility and obligation to make sure it is as accurate as possible. That's really tricky when you have non-media dirtbags actively lying to make stories up.

In 1994 Susan Smith told the police that her car was hijacked with her two kids in the back. That search for the hijacker was national headline news for a week or two until it was discovered that she rolled the car into a lake, herself, and drowned her two children. Should the news media have been waiting to cover any of that until they found out the whole truth of the story? Of course not. They needed to report that.

There are SO many factors in news reporting that make it SUCH a big challenge to do accurately and do well.

Reporting it is fine & expected, but the wording and/or style of the reporting is critical.

And while I refuse to defend CNN it should be noted that TMZ was the first to report the story and everyone piggy backed of what TMZ was reporting.

This 100% happened and is part of the problem. CNN and other outlets should do their own reporting and not use TMZ as their source. On a positive note to piggy back off a previous thread the best reporting was done by the local Chicago media. Some on Twitter attacked those local reporters and their police sources but so far seem to be the most accurate.

And as far as media coverage shouldn’t that go both ways? There were plenty of media personalities saying that he staged the whole thing as soon as the cops said they couldn’t find video of the attack. Do those media members get a pass because it appears they were right? Aren’t they jumping the gun also since Jussie hasn’t been charged with anything?

100% should go both ways. It's why a few years ago I took the approach on this site of waiting to post on controversial topics until I can gather enough facts. Everyone regardless of beliefs or ideology, their initial response if lacking facts is going to be based on emotion. Emotional responses often will come back to haunt you.

100% should go both ways. It's why a few years ago I took the approach on this site of waiting to post on controversial topics until I can gather enough facts. Everyone regardless of beliefs or ideology, their initial response if lacking facts is going to be based on emotion. Emotional responses often will come back to haunt you.

Excellent approach LB!

If more members would do just that, we wouldn't lose so many good BGP members in threads that have nothing to do with Kentucky High School sports.

I definitely agree here and we also need to separate a media member’s twitter account from an actual media outlet reporting.

I agree completely, only issue is that many media members blur the line between reporting and opinion on twitter. They use Twitter to break stories due to number of people they can reach quickly.

Very few media members do what I think they should...have one account for official reporting and one for personal thoughts and opinions that are separate from their reporting.

I agree completely, only issue is that many media members blur the line between reporting and opinion on twitter. They use Twitter to break stories due to number of people they can reach quickly.

Very few media members do what I think they should...have one account for official reporting and one for personal thoughts and opinions that are separate from their reporting.

I hear you there. The media members I follow generally only post their own stories that they have written so you are pretty clear what their opinion is before you read the story.

I hear what you are saying though.

Eghhh...I hear what you're saying here. But I think part of this, which is what makes everything such a tricky situation, is the fact that we as a society expect our news to be as late breaking as possible. This is almost a month after the fact that we're now learning this is appearing to have been staged. Do we want to get all of our news a month after the fact once everyone has the chance to investigate every little detail and make sure it's legit? Not in reality. The media's big catch 22 is having the responsible to get us our news in a timely fashion while still having the responsibility and obligation to make sure it is as accurate as possible. That's really tricky when you have non-media dirtbags actively lying to make stories up.

In 1994 Susan Smith told the police that her car was hijacked with her two kids in the back. That search for the hijacker was national headline news for a week or two until it was discovered that she rolled the car into a lake, herself, and drowned her two children. Should the news media have been waiting to cover any of that until they found out the whole truth of the story? Of course not. They needed to report that.

There are SO many factors in news reporting that make it SUCH a big challenge to do accurately and do well.

This.

This is all I will say on this topic.

Thank goodness, that there were not any "innocent" white dudes walking the street. There lives would have been ruined at least in the short term and quite possibly for the rest of their lives.

(I put innocent in quotes because this is an ongoing investigation. I don't want someone thinking I have an angle)

Hopefully Jussie seeks some help, assuming this was all made up.