Faking a Hate Crime? What Should Happen to Jussie Smollett?

UKMustangFan

I'm sure most have heard about this story. Smollett (who is black & gay), an actor on the show Empire, claimed he was attacked and beaten up in a hate crime in Chicago.

Things have been a bit suspicious since the beginning, but now it's coming to light that Smollett appears to have orchestrated the entire thing himself.

What should the repercussions be?

In general terms, falsely reporting an incident is normally some type of crime and anyone doing it should always be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Also, much like falsely reported rapes, I think the punishment should somewhat echo/mirror the punishment the alleged perpetrators are in line for which means in this case if there is some type of "hate crime enhancement" the punishment should be enhanced.

If John Schnatter (Papa John) lost his job for uttering one word in a private setting, then at a minimum shouldn't he be fired from Empire?

"WWHD", that is "what will Hollywood do?" We'll see.

Has it actually been confirmed that it was all staged? I read where the "attackers" were from Nigeria, and presumably black. Can it be a hate crime if it is black on black? Or is it a hate crime because he is gay?

If John Schnatter (Papa John) lost his job for uttering one word in a private setting, then at a minimum shouldn't he be fired from Empire?

Has it actually been confirmed that it was all staged? I read where the "attackers" were from Nigeria, and presumably black. Can it be a hate crime if it is black on black? Or is it a hate crime because he is gay?

He allegedly (according to CPD) hired them to stage the attack and said someone else did it.

I think he's already being written off the show which is the alleged motivation for him staging the attack.

Both the producer and writer (I think) have come out and said they stand by him and that they don't believe the CPD.

1. We’re really calling what happened to Papa John as losing his job?

2. I’m sure the Hollywood media will make a nice amount of money off of it.

3. No. It has not been officially confirmed that is was staged but it looks incredibly suspicious that it was staged.

4. Not only were the attackers from Nigeria but they also both worked on the set of Empire. They were investigated by the police and released with no charges. The investigation is ongoing.

5. It seems like it was a staged hate crime so I don’t anticipate any hate crimes being charged for any reason.

In general terms, falsely reporting an incident is normally some type of crime and anyone doing it should always be prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

Also, much like falsely reported rapes, I think the punishment should somewhat echo/mirror the punishment the alleged perpetrators are in line for which means in this case if there is some type of "hate crime enhancement" the punishment should be enhanced.

Agree on all counts.

Agreed.

And while it seems like this could have been staged, it's not been proven yet to my knowledge. I wish people would just wait for the facts to come out, but some people really struggle with this. Media, in particular.

But I agree with G & PP92 about the punishment in a situation like this. Too much pain is caused for there to be a simple slap on the wrist.

1. We’re really calling what happened to Papa John as losing his job?

2. I’m sure the Hollywood media will make a nice amount of money off of it.

3. No. It has not been officially confirmed that is was staged but it looks incredibly suspicious that it was staged.

4. Not only were the attackers from Nigeria but they also both worked on the set of Empire. They were investigated by the police and released with no charges. The investigation is ongoing.

5. It seems like it was a staged hate crime so I don’t anticipate any hate crimes being charged for any reason.

Re #1: I'd say he lost both his job and probably (not entirely sure but feel pretty confident) many, many millions of dollars in stock devaluation as a result of the incident.

Spot on.

When this “incident” occurred and Smollett went public, my wife said this wreaks of Ryan Lochte 2.0. And maybe all he says is true, but if staged, that was one of the dumbest stories ever created.