Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The same way you tell them not to drink while you or their coach may have a few drinks...IMO.

First of all, drinking when you become 21 is legal. I know I'm over that age (twicefold and then some) and my bet is that most of the coaches are also.

I do know that on several occasions the Highlands coaches have been in front of players at social events where alcohol was served. I don't recall them drinking when players were present. Heck on spring break last year an asst coach was in Siesta Key on the beach with a bunch of us. I'm sure he would have liked to accept one of the many invitations to have a beer. He politely declined each offer. I'm sure it was because players were present even though he was over 21. I gained even more respect for him.

I think that is the reason why kids don't listen to that refrain. A person comes off as hypocritical to the kids so they pay little to no attention to them.

Kids will CONTINUALLY model your actions rather than your words whether you are a coach, teacher or parent.

SOME KIDS ARE GOING TO TEST YOU NO MATTER WHAT. IF THAT IS THE CASE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY BAD KIDS IN YOUR CLASS. I WILL TELL YOU ANOTHER THING TOO. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM GIVES KIDS EXCUSES WHICH MAKES THE TEACHER IN THE WRONG ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT. THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME SICK IS WHEN A STUDENT WHINES AND THE COUNSELOR, WHO IS SUPPOSE TO BE AN EXPERT, TELLS THE TEACHER THAT THEY MUST MEET THE NEEDS OF THIS CHILD. WELL I KNOW ONE THING YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. THE MORE EXCUSES WE GIVE THEM THE WORSE SOCIETY WILL BECOME.

DON'T ALLOW THEM TO WATCH MOVIES WITH EVEN ONE CUSS WORD IN IT. I BEAT YOU HAVE ALLOWED YOUR PLAYERS OR YOUR CHILDREN WATCH A MOVIE WITH CUSS WORDS IN IT.

FIRST OFF COACHES ARE UNDER MORE PRESSURE THEN IT WAS IN 1970. ALSO FOR THE COACH THAT SAID I NEVER HAD TO RAISE MY VOICE. YEAH RIGHT. SOME KIDS ARE GOING TO TEST YOU NO MATTER WHAT. IF THAT IS THE CASE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY BAD KIDS IN YOUR CLASS.

Eloquent!

SOME KIDS ARE GOING TO TEST YOU NO MATTER WHAT. IF THAT IS THE CASE YOU MUST NOT HAVE ANY BAD KIDS IN YOUR CLASS. I WILL TELL YOU ANOTHER THING TOO. THE EDUCATION SYSTEM GIVES KIDS EXCUSES WHICH MAKES THE TEACHER IN THE WRONG ALL THE TIME NO MATTER WHAT. THIS IS WHAT MAKES ME SICK IS WHEN A STUDENT WHINES AND THE COUNSELOR, WHO IS SUPPOSE TO BE AN EXPERT, TELLS THE TEACHER THAT THEY MUST MEET THE NEEDS OF THIS CHILD. WELL I KNOW ONE THING YOU CAN'T PLEASE EVERYONE. THE MORE EXCUSES WE GIVE THEM THE WORSE SOCIETY WILL BECOME.

You are right in that I do not have bad kids. I have good kids that have made bad, horrible choices. And haven't we all made some bad choices in our lives?

And yes, I am tested, but I don't need to cuss at them to handle that. I see cussing as a lack of respect. I will not allow them to cuss at each other and show each other a lack of respect. They do that and I jump in and handle it. I will DEMAND they respect the other students as well as the other students respect them.

It might take them awhile to get to that point, but eventually they do.:D

Would "Be Quiet" be okay?

NO. They will continue to talk. I think it is rude when you do tell someone to "be quiet" and they continue to talk. I don't know about you but when my parents told me to shut up I shut my mouth. If I continued then I got smacked or a spanking. I can honestly say I am glad they did because I have respect and obey my superiors. I will tell you that their boss' will tell them to shut up and if they don't like it then they better find another job. See we are not getting these kids ready for life. Keep giving them excuses and let's don't make them tough. Let's make them soft and weak and have more reasons why they need to see a doctor for nothing.

I THINK PEOPLE NEED TO GROW UP!!! and quit whipping their kids butt when they are 17 years old. If so then take the car keys away.

First of all, drinking when you become 21 is legal. I know I'm over that age (twicefold and then some) and my bet is that most of the coaches are also.

I do know that on several occasions the Highlands coaches have been in front of players at social events where alcohol was served. I don't recall them drinking when players were present. Heck on spring break last year an asst coach was in Siesta Key on the beach with a bunch of us. I'm sure he would have liked to accept one of the many invitations to have a beer. He politely declined each offer. I'm sure it was because players were present even though he was over 21. I gained even more respect for him.

Agreed, he did the right thing. However, the way your stating it is that your kids don't look up to you...which I know is not true. However, they know you are of age and are responsible enough to do so. Why can't the same be said about cussing?

Not to change the subject but to point out that teachers are held to a higher regard in this manner than a normal citizen. There are cases that teachers have lost their teaching certificate and as a result their ability to teach in the state of Kentucky because of too many DUI's.

NO. They will continue to talk. I think it is rude when you do tell someone to "be quiet" and they continue to talk. I don't know about you but when my parents told me to shut up I shut my mouth. If I continued then I got smacked or a spanking. I can honestly say I am glad they did because I have respect and obey my superiors. I will tell you that their boss' will tell them to shut up and if they don't like it then they better find another job. See we are not getting these kids ready for life. Keep giving them excuses and let's don't make them tough. Let's make them soft and weak and have more reasons why they need to see a doctor for nothing.I THINK PEOPLE NEED TO GROW UP!!! and quit whipping their kids butt when they are 17 years old. If so then take the car keys away.

Let me make sure I'm clear on your point, are you saying that cursing at them is going to prepare them for the future, toughen them up as you put it?

Your boy/girl comes home and mentions that the coach cusses. It doesn't seem to bother them. What do you do?

I agree every situation is different.

I actually had this situation happen. I asked my child if he was offended by the language the coach was using. (This was at age 8 and this coach was curse words). My child was fine with it. Even at the age of 8 he said that it got him fired up and made him want to play harder. I would check with him occasionally to make sure he was okay with it. That was 10 years ago (playing basketball).

He no longer plays basketball, but he does play baseball and football. He has never used bad language at a coach. He has too much respect for them as coaches and as adults.

Lets look at the different levels of the words. There is some words that are "harder" on the ears than some and we all know what I mean. To me there is no way they should be used, but on the other hand I had a lady teacher who dropped the globe and said the s word. We just laughed, and we all have done that. As a coach its done to make a point of the moment. Most kids understand the difference. I watched 60 minutes last nite and that guy is way over the line. He was actually cussing people instead of trying to make a point and there is a difference.

I don't think its necessary and it does bother me. As for what I'd do, if it is a rare thing and the coach apologizes for it, I'm fine. If its a constant thing, I'd talk to the coach about it. If he continues, I'd talk to the principal. If it continues, well you'd see me at the next school board meeting. How can I tell my kids that the language is wrong, when the person who I tell them they have to follow is doing it?

great post....I agree. You lose a kids respect when you start ranting and raving using cuss words. It gets you nowhere. Nothing wrong with raising your voice at a young man to motivate him but degrading them with profanity is unacceptable.

I cannot fault someone for doing what I do sometimes. I have spent time in confession for saying words I shouldn't say. I don't think you have to cuss a kid to get his attention. If that's all you have to go with, as a coach, in order to get your point across, then perhaps you need to work on your coaching.

If you slip up and say some cuss words, then who among us cannot say that we've done the say. What I have a BIG problem with is when you cuss a child. Not cuss around him but actually cussing a child. There is never any reason, IMO, to cuss any child in any situation.