Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

Overall, I don't have a big problem with it. In an ideal world, it would not occur but it does. So, does it bother you?

I'd also say that you're either totally against it or OK with it all. I don't think you can rationalize and say some words are fine including the F-bomb.

Thoughts?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some times you have to use cuse words to gets kids attention. It lets them know that you mean business. That is jmo.

While I don't have a problem with the cursing (there are acceptable ways and unacceptable ways), I don't think its necessary to get kids' attention.

JMO

Some times you have to use cuse words to gets kids attention. It lets them know that you mean business. That is jmo.

I teach alternative school. Classes were the students are appointed by the courts or have been kicked out of the regular classroom setting. I have NEVER had to cuss at a child to get their attention. Raise my voice, most definitely, but cuss no way.

If I cannot find another word to replace a cuss word, then it is my fault as an adult and a comment on my limited vocabulary.

When I was a player it didn't bother me but as a parent I do not like to hear it. I didn't speak to my kids that way and I certainly wouldn't want a coach doing it.

I don't think anyone WANTS a coach cursing at their child. So, what would you do if it were to happen?

While I don't have a problem with the cursing (there are acceptable ways and unacceptable ways), I don't think its necessary to get kids' attention.

JMO

I totally agree. I experienced it in my days when it was a lot more common place than it is now, but I understand that it's the nature of the business sometimes.

I teach alternative school. Classes were the students are appointed by the courts or have been kicked out of the regular classroom setting. I have NEVER had to cuss at a child to get their attention. Raise my voice, most definitely, but cuss no way.

If I cannot find another word to replace a cuss word, then it is my fault as an adult and a comment on my limited vocabulary.

very good post. If I had a son or daughter who played, why would I want them berated with cuss words? Why act like Bobby Knight when you can successfully motivate young people the way John Wooden did?

Some of the best coaches I had never said a curse word. But trust me, they could get your attention without them. I don't think they are necessary, especially in HS athletics. I am not a prude, and some every now and then doesn't bother me that much. But I do lose respect for a coach who uses a barrage of F-bombs. I don't think it is necessary.

Its not a big deal at all. It is going to happen get over it. They will hear is somewhere else, and chances are the kid is using the same language with friends. It is an emotional game and easy to get caught up in it. Wether or not some believe it it allways got me fired up, it really does get your attention. It is a part of it and probably allways has been. Thats why sports are not for all kids or 'parents'. If the kid decides to play he will have to learn to be tough skinned and deal with it.

Here is the question: Would you want the players on the field/court cussing? If not, why is it acceptable for the coach?

If you don't want to hear your players cussing, then the coach shouldn't be modeling the cussing. If the coach cusses, should a player be disciplined for cussing on the field/court?