Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

Like LBBC said, I have never had to go into obscenity-laced tirades to motivate young people, either in the classroom or on the playing field. I have the vocabulary necessary to get the job done without sentence after sentence of four-letter words.

Hats off to you. However, you would be in the minority. While we can wish for utopia, its not here yet. So, what do you do when it occurs?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cursing in front of kids, and cursing at kids are totally different.

Cursing in front of kids is OK, as long as it is infrequent.

Cursing at kids is totally inappropriate and I see no need for it at all.

Well stated, iPapi! There is somewhat of an art as to when/where/how to use profanity. People who constantly scream tend to be heard less and less over time as opposed to those who seldom do, but at appropriate times let loose...the same applies to the well placed and timely use of profanity.

For those of you who are adamantly against cursing, what do you do if it happens? How far are you willing to take it?

Good question. I don't think I have the answer. I think it depends on what all is being said, the manner in which it is being said, how the kids take it, etc. Hard to say without being in the situation.

When I was a player it didn't bother me but as a parent I do not like to hear it. I didn't speak to my kids that way and I certainly wouldn't want a coach doing it.

:thumb: :thumb:

I agree, and in fact, it was the coach getting fired up about some issue or the other that got my attention. It didn't have anything to do with the profanity so IMO I don't think that there is any place for it. The profanity didn't make or break his point, so why even speak it? Perhaps using less profanity may even garner a bit more respect from the players, just a thought.

If it is a direct personal attack at a kid using foul language i can understand getting all up in arms. It it is a simple 3 or 4 letter word when you mess up or the team messes up i don't think it is a big deal. Some coaches may get caught up in the emotion of being competitive and slip one in while giving a speech or explaing somthin that i don't feel the need to get up in arms about either.

If it is a direct personal attack at a kid using foul language i can understand getting all up in arms. It it is a simple 3 or 4 letter word when you mess up or the team messes up i don't think it is a big deal. Some coaches may get caught up in the emotion of being competitive and slip one in while giving a speech or explaing somthin that i don't feel the need to get up in arms about either.

Thank you! :thumb:

Well stated, iPapi! There is somewhat of an art as to when/where/how to use profanity. People who constantly scream tend to be heard less and less over time as opposed to those who seldom do, but at appropriate times let loose...the same applies to the well placed and timely use of profanity.

I agree with that.

I don't think its necessary and it does bother me. As for what I'd do, if it is a rare thing and the coach apologizes for it, I'm fine. If its a constant thing, I'd talk to the coach about it. If he continues, I'd talk to the principal. If it continues, well you'd see me at the next school board meeting. How can I tell my kids that the language is wrong, when the person who I tell them they have to follow is doing it?

I think one common denomenator is the type of coach who cusses. Most of the coaches who cuss frequently are the ones who just yell as a form of "correction".

You know the guys who are like "you did it wrong, why in the world do we practice when you keep doing it wrong" or something along those lines and it's yelled with cuss words.

Those guys aren't good coaches becasue they are not teaching. Some people forget or don't realize that a coach and teacher are the same no matter what.

A good coach will say "here is what you are doing wrong, this is why you are doing wrong and here is what you can do to correct it"

Usually those guys may yell but overall don't cuss or if they do cuss it is very little. The guys who think that yelling is coaching are the ones who are doing the cussing. When you look at the records I think you will find a difference in the wins and losses.

I have had players tell me that they knew what I was thinking without me ever saying a word. They knew I was upset or frustrated or ready to go ballistic without a word ever leaving my lips.

Unfortunately, I have to admit that I have erred and made kids feel real bad without ever saying a cuss word. Many times, I have asked them later to forgive me.

Let's just say I don't hide my emotions well.

I do need to point out that I have coached females for the past 15 years, too and they are much, much different than males.

Agreed.

What's worse?

"You're stupid, Billy!" or "That was a stupid blanking play, Billy!" IMO, the first is worse.

If you tell a kid he's stupid, then you are a poor coach. You are giving the kid no alternative to become better. How can you change being stupid. If you tell him he did something stupid, then that is a correctable mistake. You have to always remember to leave a kid in a correctable situation. JMO

I don't think its necessary and it does bother me. As for what I'd do, if it is a rare thing and the coach apologizes for it, I'm fine. If its a constant thing, I'd talk to the coach about it. If he continues, I'd talk to the principal. If it continues, well you'd see me at the next school board meeting. How can I tell my kids that the language is wrong, when the person who I tell them they have to follow is doing it?

The same way you tell them not to drink while you or their coach may have a few drinks...IMO.