Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

Although I may not like it, I have no major problems with cussing by a coach of high school age kids in general, it is a part of everyday society and some people curse and some don't. High school age kids understand that.

Name calling, berrating or ridiculing a kid is another issue, especially if profanity is thrown in the mix.

On the other hand, coaches of middle school or younger age kids should not use profane or vulgar language at all, IMO. I can't imagine a coaching using the type of language as described above to a group of 8 year olds and it being acceptable. Adults involved in youth leagues need to be held accountable to a certain standard and that standard has to be set higher than that.

I agree i ahave no problem with high school coaches using profanity. In middle school there is no place for it, no reason for it to be directed at them. I understand it may slip and they may hear it. In grade school there is no place for them to even hear it under no circumstances.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope, does not bother me a bit. Let's also remember that the daily language most of these kids use is much worse than what comes out of a coach's mouth.

But because it is the daily language of kids does not make it okay, does it? I would argue that the fact that it is part of the daily language is all the more reason to have coaches not do it and to not tolerate it on the field, in the lockerroom or in the school hallways. The real question is: is it acceptable for kids to be using that type of language? If the answer to the question is no, then I don't see how anyone can accept a coach using the same language when he/she is communicating with the kids. When your teenager kids walk into their grandmother's house and use gross profanity to her, will you be okay with that? I doubt it. You'll probably chastize them for it. When they are in the nearby corner restaurant and start dropping gross curse words in public, will you be okay with that? I doubt it. When you correct them and they retort with, "it must be okay because the coaching staff uses those words all the time when talking to us, and you said I am to look up to the coaches as people setting an example for me", what will you say in response? Just curious.

But because it is the daily language of kids does not make it okay, does it? I would argue that the fact that it is part of the daily language is all the more reason to have coaches not do it and to not tolerate it on the field, in the lockerroom or in the school hallways. The real question is: is it acceptable for kids to be using that type of language? If the answer to the question is no, then I don't see how anyone can accept a coach using the same language when he/she is communicating with the kids. When your teenager kids walk into their grandmother's house and use gross profanity to her, will you be okay with that? I doubt it. You'll probably chastize them for it. When they are in the nearby corner restaurant and start dropping gross curse words in public, will you be okay with that? I doubt it. When you correct them and they retort with, "it must be okay because the coaching staff uses those words all the time when talking to us, and you said I am to look up to the coaches as people setting an example for me", what will you say in response? Just curious.

I agree 1000%.

I disagree with you. I don't consider civility and using good manners as political correctness at all. I'm tired of the MTV videos and music that refers to women as ho's and treats them like cattle and that constantly use racially motivated words. I'm tired of men not holding doors for women. I'm tired of people not referring to their elders as "Sir" or "Maam". I'm tired of kids playing music in their cars that can be heard a city block away (and that's with the windows up). And I'm tired of hearing kids on the corner across the street where I live cursing loudly. And unfortunately, a lot of that bad behavior is not only tolerated by adults, we actually engage in it ourselves (well not the loud music stuff:laugh: ), thus re inforcing the behavior as acceptable for our children. Again, its not about being politically correct, its about using good manners and acting in a civil manner. If that makes me an old fogey, then so be it. But there is a lot of truth to the old adages of "I'm not getting older, I'm getting wiser" and "At 18 I thought I knew everthing, but at 38 I realized I knew nothing when I was 18". Face it, as a teenager, most kids have had no real life experiences to really teach them about life. They are young, usually concerned only about what happens to them, and think they are invincible. Later on, with life's lessons learned and real responsibilities upon them, they realize just how naive their thinking was when they were young. As adults, we must do our part to help them on their way to becoming responsible contributors to society. Teaching them civility and manners is part of helping them on their way in my opinion.

That's two standing ovations from me this morning Leatherneck. :thumb: :thumb:

I disagree with you. I don't consider civility and using good manners as political correctness at all. I'm tired of the MTV videos and music that refers to women as ho's and treats them like cattle and that constantly use racially motivated words. I'm tired of men not holding doors for women. I'm tired of people not referring to their elders as "Sir" or "Maam". I'm tired of kids playing music in their cars that can be heard a city block away (and that's with the windows up). And I'm tired of hearing kids on the corner across the street where I live cursing loudly. And unfortunately, a lot of that bad behavior is not only tolerated by adults, we actually engage in it ourselves (well not the loud music stuff:laugh: ), thus re inforcing the behavior as acceptable for our children. Again, its not about being politically correct, its about using good manners and acting in a civil manner. If that makes me an old fogey, then so be it. But there is a lot of truth to the old adages of "I'm not getting older, I'm getting wiser" and "At 18 I thought I knew everthing, but at 38 I realized I knew nothing when I was 18". Face it, as a teenager, most kids have had no real life experiences to really teach them about life. They are young, usually concerned only about what happens to them, and think they are invincible. Later on, with life's lessons learned and real responsibilities upon them, they realize just how naive their thinking was when they were young. As adults, we must do our part to help them on their way to becoming responsible contributors to society. Teaching them civility and manners is part of helping them on their way in my opinion.

:thumb: Great post!! You get my vote for Post Of The Year!!!

There are a few on here that act like a few cuss words around kids by coaches is going to turn them into foul mouth street kids. While most of us know that 90% of a childs character is developed at home. I realize that for the most part players look up to their coaches,and as I have said on here I do not agree with it being the norm. I have raised 3 fine sons and coached one of them and I really don't think them hearing me cuss every once in a while affected them in the least.

Let's everyone remember rule #8. Any attempt to use or suggest profanity is prohibited. This means you may not use symbols to replace some or all of the letters in a word that might otherwise be blocked by the BGP word filter.

Yes, it bothers me.

Is it reason to can the coach? NO.

I have reared three children and have never needed to curse to get their attention as some members have posted here.

Do my children have virgin ears? No, but they should not be subjected to "sailor" language from a person in an authority position either.

Coaches, while human, should be held to the same standards as classroom teachers who are also molding our children.

What if it were...English teacher cursing...Does it bother you??

Most coaches also teach in the classroom, I imagine they are able to hold their tongue in the classroom, why not on the field??

And for the record and so people don't think I'm completely naive, I fully understand that football, and other sports, are emotional activities. I fully understand that words can slip out in a moment of excitement. I'd only want the coach to limit it as best he can and when he does slip up, to apologize for it and tell the kids that it is wrong to use that type of language. I'm simply opposed to the view point that its okay and acceptable for a coach to use that language freely.

Yes, it bothers me.

Is it reason to can the coach? NO.

I have reared three children and have never needed to curse to get their attention as some members have posted here.

Do my children have virgin ears? No, but they should not be subjected to "sailor" language from a person in an authority position either.

Coaches, while human, should be held to the same standards as classroom teachers who are also molding our children.

What if it were...English teacher cursing...Does it bother you??

Most coaches also teach in the classroom, I imagine they are able to hold their tongue in the classroom, why not on the field??

As long as it is grammatically correct!! (J/K)

It's funny, my wife and I just had this discussion. You see, I was one of the kids in the neighborhood who'd drop curse words at will, would light you up with profanity if confronted, this until I was out of college. Thankfully the Lord saved me and I no longer have the sailor dialogue. However, those words and thoughts still come right into my feeble brain anytime something goes askew. I am thankfully held accountable to the parents, kids, and those around me for not only my actions, but my words when I coach their children. Thankfully the Lord placed a filter between my brain and tongue and when the situation arises when I need some inflection and heat to get my point across, those words are modified to correct or instruct or reprimand. To believe that profanity is a teaching tool is silly. Can I understand why some do it? Not really, and I agree with most posters who have stated that it shows ignorance when you can't speak without it. Our children aren't going to be demented by profanity I'm sure, but why instill those words or that type language into a moldable mind? What's the difference in middle school or high school? Why is it appropriate for one age and not the other? IMO they are teenagers just the same. Many of us have the most vivid memories of our lives from those ages, so why inundate them with language that can't possibly benefit them in their futures? Totally unnecessary IMHO!