Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

Here is the question: Would you want the players on the field/court cussing? If not, why is it acceptable for the coach?

If you don't want to hear your players cussing, then the coach shouldn't be modeling the cussing. If the coach cusses, should a player be disciplined for cussing on the field/court?

Your boy/girl comes home and mentions that the coach cusses. It doesn't seem to bother them. What do you do?

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Its not a big deal at all. It is going to happen get over it. They will hear is somewhere else, and chances are the kid is using the same language with friends. It is an emotional game and easy to get caught up in it. Wether or not some believe it it allways got me fired up, it really does get your attention. It is a part of it and probably allways has been. Thats why sports are not for all kids or 'parents'. If the kid decides to play he will have to learn to be tough skinned and deal with it.

Figured as much.

Its not a big deal at all. It is going to happen get over it. They will hear is somewhere else, and chances are the kid is using the same language with friends. It is an emotional game and easy to get caught up in it. Wether or not some believe it it allways got me fired up, it really does get your attention. It is a part of it and probably allways has been. Thats why sports are not for all kids or 'parents'. If the kid decides to play he will have to learn to be tough skinned and deal with it.

Being tough skinned has nothing to do with whether or not the use of foul language around kids is appropriate. To me it means learning to take criticism and criticism doesn't have to include foul language. Like I said, I had plenty of coaches who never used the first profanity who were as tough as anyone who I played for who did swear. I never needed someone to swear at me or around me to get me fired up when I played. If you cannot get your message across without swearing as a coach and leader of young men/women, maybe you are in the wrong business. Are we teaching our kids that it is okay to use these 'sentence enhancers' to get our point across? It is unnecessary.

The sportsmanship statement from the KHSAA basically states that obscene language will not be tolerated during the games. Why should we think it is okay elsewhere?

Here is the question: Would you want the players on the field/court cussing? If not, why is it acceptable for the coach?

If you don't want to hear your players cussing, then the coach shouldn't be modeling the cussing. If the coach cusses, should a player be disciplined for cussing on the field/court?

To me, this is a big time societal problem. Would you want your players drinking? No, because they're not adults. I'm all about setting a good example but I've never understood the people that get offended by a few four letter words. To me, I'd be more angry if I were told to shut up than...well, any of those other words.

That's jmo...I do believe it's very rarely needed though...

I agree completley that is doens't have to be used to win or get a player attention and yes there are plenty of ways to do it with out curse words. They do slip from time to time, and i haven't a problem with that. A continuous stream of them i can understand where that would be a problem. But it never bothered me when it was directed at me.

To me, this is a big time societal problem. Would you want your players drinking? No, because they're not adults. I'm all about setting a good example but I've never understood the people that get offended by a few four letter words. To me, I'd be more angry if I were told to shut up than...well, any of those other words.

That's jmo...I do believe it's very rarely needed though...

Agreed.

What's worse?

"You're stupid, Billy!" or "That was a stupid blanking play, Billy!" IMO, the first is worse.