Coaches Cursing: Does It Bother You?

cshs81

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think cursing is unnecessary myself. Parents are trusting their children with coaches and I beleive they should try to set the best example possible. Now, Im not saying that means if you curse at a player you are a bad example for him. However, that is just one of many things that IMO just doesnt set the best example.

Also, in my mind it gets a little more exceptable the older the players are. Gradeschool and middleschool kids in my mind, should not be cursed at period.

Truly, the best coaches not only win games, but also set an example of how a player should behave.

Same way with your kids? You don't mind your children or athletes that you coach using "minor" profanity as long as they don't use certain words.

Perhaps I should clarify a little. While I don't promote any of it, there is a big difference in certain words. (I will not elaborate, due to LRCW's reminding us of the rules) You can't get all "up in arms" over every little thing, or you wouldn't have any time to do anything else.

Perhaps I should clarify a little. While I don't promote any of it, there is a big difference in certain words. (I will not elaborate, due to LRCW's reminding us of the rules) You can't get all "up in arms" over every little thing, or you wouldn't have any time to do anything else.

I agree.

And for the record and so people don't think I'm completely naive, I fully understand that football, and other sports, are emotional activities. I fully understand that words can slip out in a moment of excitement. I'd only want the coach to limit it as best he can and when he does slip up, to apologize for it and tell the kids that it is wrong to use that type of language. I'm simply opposed to the view point that its okay and acceptable for a coach to use that language freely.

That's a different story than an occasional bad word...

There are a few on here that act like a few cuss words around kids by coaches is going to turn them into foul mouth street kids. While most of us know that 90% of a childs character is developed at home. I realize that for the most part players look up to their coaches,and as I have said on here I do not agree with it being the norm. I have raised 3 fine sons and coached one of them and I really don't think them hearing me cuss every once in a while affected them in the least.

You are right 90% of a childs character is built at home. All it takes is that 10% of being around an individual with negative behaviors to take a lifetime of work and throw it down the drain. These kids deserve a TRUE role model and person to teach them the game but more importantly teach to make right decisions. A coach that curses if front of a child of any age doesn't deserve to be a coach. They have no respaect for the kids or for what the parents have attempted to install in their children from day one.

You are right 90% of a childs character is built at home. All it takes is that 10% of being around an individual with negative behaviors to take a lifetime of work and throw it down the drain. These kids deserve a TRUE role model and person to teach them the game but more importantly teach to make right decisions. A coach that curses if front of a child of any age doesn't deserve to be a coach. They have no respaect for the kids or for what the parents have attempted to install in their children from day one.

What about when society and others give a student an option or a reason to commit adultry, for example contraceptives. I mean here we are talking about cussing being our moral decay and we have schools teaching how to use contraceptives. Again we give kids a reason and an excuse. The comment I hear is "well they are going to do it anyway." IT IS WRONG. IT SAYS IT IN THE BIBLE. ALSO it says you shall not take the Lord's name in vain. Doesn't talk about other words.

No where in this tread was what the bible says have anything to do with it. But if you want to go there it does say in the Bible not to be a stumbling block to others. IMO a coach cursing a kid is a big stumbling block to not only that kid but all the kids around him. I am sorry you want your kid cussed at by some low life coach that is no better than the ground you walk on. Once again a coach is an authority figure and role model for these kids. As a person put in that position he/she has NO right to be cursing any kid including his/her own at a school related function.

Again I thought this was about coaches cussing around players. The Holier than Thou sight is in religion and politics. Most low life coaches don't last very long. If all it takes is 10% bad influence to undo 90% of work the 90% wasn't built on a very firm foundation.

Bottom line =

It should NEVER be "okay" to cuss as a school board employee to students during a school event on school property.

There is no other way around it.

Wrong is wrong sometimes.

Would it bother me as a player - No.

Does it bother MOST people - Not really.

Is it often expected and accepted - yes

BUT--------

If one school employee can do it in public and get away with it - the lawsuit just beckons to have:

*Your gym teacher cuss at you during class and get away with it.

*ROTC instructor cuss at you during inspection.

*The band director cussing during marching practice.

*The cheerleader cuss the girls for missing manuevers.

*The soccer coach, the baseball coach, the basketball coach, the track coach, and so on and so on....

So everyone gets to cuss when things aren't going there way or just the football coach???

Hypocracy!

As for what COULD be done about it.

A principal should be able to control their employees from using foul language around students.

IE: Warnings, written reprimands, extra duties, coach from the box, Limit the sideline coaches, supspend him from the sideline.

Any principal worth his/her salt would be able to handle it.