Everything posted by TigerFan2709
-
Too Many Sub-500 Teams In Playoffs
See I like a lot of this. The reason I went with Class 5A worth 5 and A with one point is I feel that if you take ten 5A teams and play ten A teams the 5A teams would win at least 8 of the games. Granted a lot depends on the teams being matched up but on average the 5A teams would be better. But I can see where you are going with it. I thought about the geographic region thing too. Put 8 teams in the east, 8 from the north, 8 from the west and 8 from the south. Then two regions meet for semis and those two winners meet for championship. Maybe even try to play the semis at U of L and the Championship at UK. U of L's turf field could handle two games easier than UK's grass field. That's a good idea on using the points to determine seeding for the playoffs. Of course we got to realize that this is dreaming because the KHSAA is not going to get on here and read this and make the switch.
-
Too Many Sub-500 Teams In Playoffs
FC I pretty much agree with all of this - especially the part about no system is perfect. Regardless how you do your playoffs there will be teams left out that shouldn't be. You can't include everyone (although Kentucky has tried and came close). Although after reading my scenario a couple of times I really like it - but I also think I can date Jessica Alba.
-
Too Many Sub-500 Teams In Playoffs
Take the district winner and runner up and let them advance. That gets you 16 teams if my math is correct. Now have 16 at large bids based on a point system similar to Ohio and West Virginia. Now all games on your schedule are important. You need to win your district games to finish 1st or 2nd. But if you play in a strong district play a tough non district schedule to get the points to get an at large bid. The higher the class team you beat the more points you earn Beat a Class A team - 1 point Beat a Class AA team - 2 points Beat a Class 3A team - 3 points Beat a Class 4A team - 4 points Beat a Class 5A team - 5 points Yes I say we only have 5 classes to make this worthwhile Now to help break ties you need bonus points. If a team you beat defeats a Class A team you get one bonus point. If a team you beat defeats a Class AA team you get two bonus points. I'm with DaddyCat in that this is the system in place so don't knock the 0 fers and 1 fers that are in because they earned the right to play in the playoffs. They followed the rules that are in place. Daddy Cat you have put forth the best argument / explanation as to why you can't use injuries as an excuse to not play a team / round of playoffs. It's football - everytime you put the pads on (practice or games) you take a chance of injury. Your chances of getting hurt go up when you play scared or tentatively. The opening post wanted another possible system for the playoffs so here is mine. I might go back and edit some of it after I proofread it.
-
Spring Break Baseball Trip
I agree with this. I never did it because my principal wouldn't sign off on it but I checked into it with some guys I knew who did. They all told me it was the best / easiest fundraiser they did.
-
Which winless team has the best chance this weekend?
You might be able to take Breckinridge County off the list. Word is they might pick up two forfeits from Louisville Western and Louisville Atherton. If so this puts them in the playoffs.
-
Spring Break Baseball Trip
Bluegrass - there have been some kids who have played for me that I believe I could have received a tax break from them. I wouldn't change a thing either. We took a trip one year to Myrtle Beach SC and it was the first time some of my guys had ever seen the ocean. To see their faces when we were walking on the beach was worth every penny and minute working to raise money.
-
Spring Break Baseball Trip
Thanks guys
-
Spring Break Baseball Trip
As a former head coach here is what I did We went every other year alternating with the softball team so that is one way to make it work for Title IX. I told parents, players, potential players and potential parenst that all returning players will help in fundraising and there is no option with it. Any player who wants to try out is more than welcome to help but needs to understand it does not in any way help his chances to make the team and will not be considered if they are on the fence with another kid. We take the best. I tell parents any money raise is not soley for their child but for every child that is on the team. If they have a problem with that then that is their problem and not mine. Same deal for parents of players who are planning to try out - we appreciate the help but it doesn't guarantee anything. When we get started on the work I tell the parents who show up that I agree with them that all parents should be there helping but some can't and won't show up for whatever reasons. We can either direct our energies towards the goal and accomplish something great for these kids or we can focus our energies on the ones not there and fall short. This was the same attitude our softball coach took as well. There is no easy solution to this but there is a lot of hard work needed to get this done. If you plan ahead and are honest then it will usually take care of itself for the good. I never broke it down each player is responsible for "X" amount because I didn't want to be forced into making the decision of making a kid stay home because he was a few dollars short. If they didn't do the fundraising then they were cut and they weren't required to be at every one. They had to make a percentage of fundraisers. We provided a $5 a meal allowance at the fast food places but if we went to somewhere nice they had to pay for it or if there was any shopping they were responsible for that. But there were plenty of times I went into my own pocket to pay for a kid's meal if they didn't have it.
-
Bush League Coaching
Preventive umpiring stops all problems. Coach yells balk, umpire says something then the problem should be solved. If the coach is dumb enough to say it again then he gets what he deserves. I see balks quite a bit and I don't yell balk because I know the rule. Now I will say something to the ump about it after the inning.
-
Bush League Coaching
Not a problem. I'm by no means an expert on the rules but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
-
Bush League Coaching
Here you go skunk. I went to an umpires forum and asked them FED rules: 3.1.1 A coach, player, substitute, attendant or other bench personnel shall not: ...(o) call “Time” or use any command or commit any act for the purpose of causing a balk;" NCAA 5-15(2) and OBR 4.06(a)(3) both have very similar language. OBR 4.06 PENALTY: The offender shall be removed from the game and shall leave the playing field, and, if a balk is made, it shall be nullified
-
Bush League Coaching
Give me a day or two to look it up. I'm not sure where it is in the rulebook but I know it's there.
-
Bush League Coaching
It is a rule. Think of it like this........to call a balk one (or maybe both) of the umps yell balk and it's automatically a dead ball and everything comes to an end. Now let's say you got a kid on the mound who barely pauses in his set position. The third base coach yells out balk and the kid stops his motion because he heard balk. How fair is that? If it was legal then you would have coaches doing this all the time - then it would be bush league.
-
Bush League Coaching
It's not bush league - it's against the rules. Coaches and players CANNOT yell out balk whether it's intentional or unintentional that causes the defensive team to break a rule. So by rule this isn't a balk (ump screwed up) and when the coach yells balk it's still not a balk (coach and ump screwed up)
-
Why is there a delay for some teams reporting their scores?
Commander and True Blue - what is the point of having an AD then? A football coach is hired to coach football and an AD is hired to take care of the administrative end of sports. To me reporting scores is the AD's job or his job to assign it to someone (other than the coaching staff). Yes there are some administrative duties the head coach has to perform but the AD should shoulder as much of that responsibility as possible. The coaching staff has just coached a game and they have to get films ready for review and trade, make sure the guys get in and out of the locker room, put equipment away and other stuff. So why should the coaches also have to do something that the AD can do?
-
Why is there a delay for some teams reporting their scores?
Probably a lazy AD who just lets the coaches do it. I can't see why the AD as soon as the game is over just pull his cell phone out and call it in.
-
Southern Spring Training Sites
Not in Florida but the Cal Ripken place in Myrtle Beach SC is AWESOME. Two spectacular fields that are both field turf, tons of batting tunnels, practice IF's, and great location for things to do. I can tell you more if you want.
-
Lawrence County Sanctions
I don't think that the classes are part of the punishment. All coaches regardless have to take and pass a sportsmanship class before they are allowed to coach. Amazingly very few have done this. If I remember correctly they implemented this rule back in the late 90's. Did the ump toss the coach during the game?
-
Open Jobs
Couple of openings in the third region Meade County and Daviess County are open. Breckinridge County was open for about an hour until they replaced their head coach with one of the assistants.
-
15th and 16th signee's 2008
Will Ward, Pikeville High, Pikeville College Watson Ritchie, Pikeville High, Pikeville College I heard Shane Grimm of Paintsville is heading to U of L. I am not positive on this signing.
-
Rule Question
Cooperstown has it basically right in the do over. The batter may ASK for time but the ump grants it at his discretion. In this case IF the pitcher throws the ball then it will probably be called a strike and it's probably a very liberal zone. The batter is not allowed to do anything that could force a balk. In this case step out of the box without time being granted. If he does then it's a do over.
-
Pikeville Baseball
I hate to hear it because I know they had some really good runs just a few years ago. D it up who is the person they have approached if you don't mind saying?
-
Pikeville Baseball
What is the deal going on down there? They got an awesome facility now and a great tradition but here lately they are not doing so well. I know Priode replaced Lawson but is the talent running dry or is it coaching or both? Will there be changes in the future?
-
KHSBCA Baseball Rankings 4-10
Betsy Layne is only 4 points from cracking the top 25. They are 1 and 6 on the season, but it gets better. They have been shut out 3 times this season. Red Bird hasn't played a game yet, according to riherds scoreboard. If the ranking system isn't taken seriously and done more accurately it is a waste of time.
-
April 3rd State Coaches Poll
My understanding the poll is very inaccurate. A lot of coaches don't vote, which skews the poll and also a buddy system is in place during voting. I have heard coaches vote for another region team number 1 in the state and the other coach would return the favor. It is hard to give validity to this poll.