Who has elected to play up?

gchs_uk9

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are correct and the whole realignment is supposed to be finalized by the KHSAA board of Control meeting in May.

I heard that there will be an announcement on the re-alignment, Wednesday the 21st of Feb. ?

Correct, that's the next Board of Control meeting. I'm expecting them to release a list of teams who played up as well as district alignments. In the past they've allowed for some modifications before finalizing things at the May meeting.

Why would a school decide to play up? What advantage would that give?

It depends on several factors. In 2008 Somerset was going to be placed in a 2A district where Middlesboro would have been the shortest road trip. They chose to play up in a district with Garrard, Wayne, Casey and Taylor County. The longest trip there was shorter than Middlesboro.

Travel costs, competition.

Bingo.

Competition is usually the reason, and I get it - smart on their parts. Transportation is just sitting there conveniently as the reason, and some of the time that's it. Other times it might actually win out if you're splitting hairs between options. However, if a team has to travel being in a class that provides them the best road to a district and even region title appearance then there is never any petitioning to move.

Competition trumps all. (or should I say the lack of)

Edited by Calico Jack

Why would a school decide to play up? What advantage would that give?

Russellville played up 2 classes a few years ago, in 3A with 1A enrollment. In their 1A region was Mayfield. In their 2A region was Fort Campbell (in the midst of 3 straight state titles). In their 3A district was Adair, Hart, Edmonson Counties. Russellville won the district all 4 years. Played Paducah Tilghman very close in the region finals before losing.

My guess is Central opts to play 4A. Keeps them in Louisville and cuts down on travel cost.

I think the early draft showed Central in the same district as Cal and Desales if that’s the case they wouldn’t have to leave Louisville play district games if they stay in 3A.

Edited by Jack Lambert

I think the early draft showed Central in the same district as Cal and Desales if that’s the case they wouldn’t have to leave Louisville play district games if they stay in 3A.

That draft wasn't official but yes, there are three Jefferson County schools in 3A. However, there are several differences between CAL/DeSales and Central, while Moore, Valley, and Waggener are each in 4A and are all JCPS schools like Central (Western was slated for 4A but I have heard they're moving up to 5A).